0 degree Cleaning

Its winter again and I am having no end of trouble cleaning windows.
I use GG4 and a touch of fairy in my hardwater area, I use dry microfibre cloths, When I come to buff up the windows I am having to really polish hard, there seems to be smears everywhere. In the summer I don’t seem to have this problem. Is it the temperature outside???

It could be.

I used to do a Hooters (insert joke here) and when I went, the outside was about 90* while the inside had sat over-night with the AC blasting.

We have high humidity here (Central Florida) and the dew (?) was often on both sides of the glass.

I’d mop and squeegee and there’d be smears. Turned out best for me just to learn to ignore it. They went away when the temps were not as drastic.

Not knowing your exact issue, my first guess is the dew point difference.

do the smears slowly return?

I live in Norfolk England and the temperature is -1 that’s freezing, so I thought this may have something to do with it. The smears take alot of buffing to go but don’t return. The air is clear and cold.

My parents live in Florida, I didn’t think they had window cleaners there?

Window Cleaners in Florida? Nah…

When the temperature drops the windows will retain the water, the faster you go the more moisture left on the window. The good news, less drag, the bad news - moisture retention. Does that make sense? Using a smaller squeegee usually helps.

So you thought there wasn’t any glass in Florida? I’m confused or is this a joke?

In regards to your original questions, do you always buff windows after cleaning them? I only use towels to detail edges or the odd time a stubborn spot or two. What do you add to your water to combat the freezing? Are you cleaning these windows regularly?

I find that it’s best to not touch the glass as much as possible with any sort of towel during freezing or sub-freezing temperatures. Just scrub with a good quality washer sleeve, a non-freezing cleaning solution and squeegee as best you can so that there is a small amount of detailing to do around the edges.

I’m with Mark on the detailing. I’d also like to add a new rubber goes a long way to remove this problem :wink:

karlosdaze

When the temperature drops the windows will retain the water, the faster you go the more moisture left on the window. The good news, less drag, the bad news - moisture retention. Does that make sense? Using a smaller squeegee usually helps.

[B]Thanks, I tend to wash the windows with a scrubber and then blade them (Ettore Squeegie) I do the whole bungalow then come back and buff the edges , not normally the whole glass, but this morning it was smeary everywhere (clean water, with, Fairy liquid,[/B]GG4)

Beautiful View

So you thought there wasn’t any glass in Florida? I’m confused or is this a joke?
[B]
Sorry I didn’t mean to offend you, My mum just said she has never seen any window cleaners, maybe you could get a good round where she lives then ;)[/B]

In regards to your original questions, do you always buff windows after cleaning them? I only use towels to detail edges or the odd time a stubborn spot or two. What do you add to your water to combat the freezing? Are you cleaning these windows regularly?

[B]I only do the edges normally but on this occasion the whole glass on each window was smeary, I don’t use anti-freezing solution, I don’t know if GG4 has those properties in it (GG4 is a water softner for hardwater areas) I use microfibre cloths for the edges which normally work great. The windows are cleaned once a month.[/B]

Many thanks

Jamie

[I]to add to this post [/I]

I have just googled it and found:

[I]Freeze Protection
Glass Gleam-4 does not provide freeze protection. To reduce the freezing point of water to 0°F (-18°C) it is necessary that methanol be added to the water so the mixture is about 28% methanol and 72% water. For protection to -20°F (-29°C) you need 36% methanol and 64% water. You can buy windshield washer fluid premixed for either 0°F or -20°F. Glass Gleam-4 should be added to this water/methanol mix, about 1/4 ounce per gallon, to provide the necessary cleaning and performance benefits.[/I]

Will try that me thinks , but please fire some more ideas at me.

Thanks

Oh I wasn’t offended. I live in Canada, nowhere near Florida. If you were making a joke, it went over my head. But alas, you were not joking.

Problem sometimes with the internet, you don’t always know the tone of someones response.

Trouble is Jamie, it doesn’t usually get that cold where I live - I’m talking mainly from previous experience. Fairy leaves a film, it will be more noticeable, so try again with GG4 on its own. Methanol - not advised, but if you do wear plastic gloves.

I have to ask, what is Fairy Liquid?

I thought it may be something that you would tell the customer when they ask “What’s in your water to make it clean so good?”.

Same as Dawn or joy

that’s funny! it’ washing up liquid. ha ha ha

I would like to know if the windows that needed buffing were cleaned in the sun or in the shade. I have noticed that gg3 and gg4 leave a haze on glass when I am in the sun. I know I shouldn’t be in the sun at all but it is hard to get all of a southern exposed building done before the sun is up too high and cooking the glass.

I mix 1/2 glisten with 1/2 gg4 and the problem seems to go away. I also use as little soap as possible. Does any one have the same problem?

I do notice that the sun causes smears. What is glisten?

I have had that problem but it was because I didn’t get then window squeegeed before the solution had partially dried. I’d suggest making sure the window is good and wet or just doing half a window at a time in direct sunlight.
I agree w/ soap - less is more. I never use more than the manufacturer’s recommended amount.

Glisten is an product alot like winsol apc with less foam

In this particular circumstance I am sure that the window was wet enough.Another time I was inside a house cleaning a mirror that was in the sun with gg3 and the same thing was happening. This mirror would not come clean and I am not new to this. I had to buff it clean and have never bought gg3 again.

I dont know what the local council do in your area but in the North of England they spray salt everywhere once it reaches freezing. Any windows with salt on have to be washed with plenty of water. A wipe never suffices. Even windows away from the road get a slight film on that you cannot see until the window dries streaky

We are primarily focussing on Pressure Washing and Roof Cleaning. But occasionally we do window cleaning. We can we purchase methonal to add to our cleaning mix. We are here in PA and the weather is in the 20’s today.

If I added a little windscreen washer to GG4 would this help then? When I clean in the shade the window normally turn out perfect.