#1 Marketing Tip

There is a simple act you can do that will make a world of difference in terms of marketing your business. Over time it will save you a boat load of dollars and really pay off on your bottom line. Ready? Here it is: ask every new client/prospect how they found you, then track the answers.

My old friend Dusty showed me this 30 years ago. He owned a picture framing shop and unless the customer was a regular he’d ask; “have you been here before?”. If they said yes, he say “oh sure I remember you” if they said no he’d ask “how did you find us?” Dusty had a simple code, like YP for Yellow Pages, S for signage, SH for the Shopper, NP for the Newspaper, etc. On his quote form he had a ½” square box in the upper right hand corner and he’d write in his simple code and add them up each month. He did it for years, because things change, but way back then (things might be different today) he found that for his business the yellow pages and his signage brought in the most business, so he invested heavily in both.

Once you have the data it becomes clear where you get the best results on your ad dollars. Without data you are just guessing.

David

Thanks, David. Great first step.

Even that data needs to be analyzed further, wouldn’t you agree?

For example, if one has poor results from YP ads, then an improved ad message or layout might increase results, right? Or, if a direct mail campaign’s call-to-action message, demographic, or deadline requires revamping…

That’s a good reminder David. I started doing that when I put out my first YP ad because I wanted to know if I was wasting my money.

There is an upper middle class area near me of about 2,000 homes or so. In 2009 I am going to hit each house with a postcard consistantly,every 6-8 weeks. I’ve already hit the area about 5-6 times in the last year and a half, each time with better results.