150K Miles

We put a lot of miles on the trucks don’t we. I have an 03 Dodge dakota that has been a very reliable truck.

Recently, here in FL we got ‘ethanol’ @ 10%. Now it could just be me, but ‘suddenly’ my truck starts to run like poo. It does need plugs which I will install grudgingly later today. But it has only been about 60k miles since plugs and wires were installed.

Does anyone else notice a difference in running after ethanol? or is it just the plugs? It has lost power, it had a mild miss, it wants to stall during turns or right after decelleration.

My mileage also dropped by at least 2 MPG. some trade off huh.

I dont know

I have used ethanol ever since it came on the market. Mainly because of price. My father-on-law used to get the expensive high octane gas because he said it helped his car run better. Did it? Maybe, but not worth the extra cost. Ethanol doesn’t do as well on mileage but not the 2 mpg you’re experiencing. If anything it’s around 1/2 mpg. A friend of mine has a flex fuel vehicle that runs 85% ethanol and his mileage on that is only 2 mpg different than standard gasoline. He also pays about $1 less per gallon for the 85%.
I would think perhaps you got a defective plug or wire that is causing the problem or even a partially plugged fuel filter. JMO

Sounds as though you need a tune-up.

Figure a 20-30% fuel economy decrease for the use of E85 (not sure about your 10% blend.)

[I]E85, which is 85 percent ethanol, emits less smog-causing pollutants than gasoline, but provides fewer miles per gallon, (effectively) costs more, and is hard to find outside the Midwest.

Government support for flexible-fuel vehicles (FFV), which can run on E85, is indirectly causing more gasoline consumption rather than less.

Most ethanol is being blended in a 10 percent mix to reduce smog-producing emissions and stretch gasoline supplies.

Ethanol has a lower energy content than gasoline: 75,670 British thermal units (BTU) per gallon instead of 115,400, according to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA). So you have to burn more fuel to generate the same amount of energy. In addition, FFV engines are designed to run more efficiently on gasoline. E85 fuel economy could approach that of gasoline if manufacturers optimized engines for that fuel.

Because E85 is primarily sold in the upper Midwest, most drivers in the country have no access to the fuel, even if they want it. The FFV surge is being motivated by generous fuel-economy credits that auto-makers get for every FFV they build, even if it never runs on E85. This allows them to pump out more gas-guzzling large SUVs and pickups, which is resulting in the consumption of many times more gallons of gasoline than E85 now replaces.[/I]
[SIZE=“1”]Source: ConsumerReports.org[/SIZE]

I am with the get a tune up crowd. Could be as simple as needing new wires or plugs. The vehicles bounce around alot, could also be a loose ground wire.
.02c

I would say tune up as well. You can also check the small things like: air pressure in the tires, air and fuel filters, alignment, plugs. I do feel your pain though. When I bought my truck, diesel fuel was really cheap. Since then they changed the fuel to “low sulfur” so now I use and additive which cost more plus the amount of gas. still love that truck even though it’s big and way overkill for window cleaning.

I’ve noticed in my Tundra that the gas mileage goes downhill when using the10% ethanol junk. The good thing is that gas stations are required to let you know if the gas contains ethanol or not - at least around here. There are a few gas stations that will not carry the ethanol stuff at all, so I try to buy gas at those places.