2nd guessing a quote I need to give

Great diagram Steve.

As Jeff said sometimes splitting windows will save a ton of ladder sets.

1 Like

Okay, so I did one final re-evaluation of the wellness center job, and here is what I came to. There were several sets of interior windows that I missed on my sheet that need to be counted, and there are also several windows in entrances that I know staff do not touch (36 of those) and 80% of the interior windows require ladder work 25ft up. I believe that for all the work I am doing, and the fact the windows have not been cleaned for at least half a year (not to mention t that the interior ones haven’t been cleaned even after construction a year ago and this will be a once or twice a year job) if not more, that 3-4 dollars a window ( I’m thinking around 3.25-3.50) is a more than fair price. That would bring the total to 502 panes (466 if I don’t do entrances) and bring the price to 1700 dollars, that gives me a little wiggle room on the price, (1600 dollars if no entrances). Honestly, I think this is more than fair for the Wellness Center. Let me understand something, though. When it comes to Commercial work, do guys typically charge more or less than residential for once/twice a year cleans? The way it sounded up above maybe you guys charge less? Anyway, If it takes me an average of one pane per minute I’ll be there for 8 hours. I’m just wishing I could know how long it was gonna take, cause that’s really hard to calculate when the windows are all over the place and need so much ladder work! :stuck_out_tongue: sigh I’m just so nervous!

That all comes with more experience. You’ll make mistakes but that’s part of learning.

2 Likes

@anon46335951 on a typical job that has laddering like this, or if you had to do that front section lobby, (104 panes, 8x13 , 0 to 25ft) what would you personally be at for panes-a-minute do you think? I’m honestly only asking because I know that even at my fastest I won’t be faster than an experienced guy like yourself, so It would be useful to at least know what you think that portion would take you. Getting experience is why I want this job so stinking bad!

You know, also would like some clarification on what you generally charge per window, all of you, for commercial. I’m a little confused as to whether or not it is normal to charge less or more than residential…

so you have valued your hourly rate at $200/hr?
Your new your gonna be SLOW!!!, next time you will be quicker, are you going to charge them less if it take you less time? NO!

Its a different animal, I personally wouldn’t go into a property like this with a store front or residential pricing structure, jobs like these are less detail orientated than a residential , there is no screens to remove there are no opening parts to wipe down and open and close , no tracks they are easy as pie commercial windows. I personally wouldn’t count every square or pane on this type of job I would work out how long it will take by man hours if its a little lower than the day date then, bump it up so its say 1 man day worth of work so anything above day rate is just gravy.

That being said when starting out maybe shoot for $50 per hour as you will speed up in time and the next time you do the job will be a higher hourly rate.

1 Like

@Steve076 Hmm… I think (dare I?) that I am starting to understand. I thought maybe it sounded like a high hourly rate, need to make sure I don’t get greedy. Okay. So, I’m going to calculate how long I think it will take me, then I’ll aim for $50 an hour… Got it. mutters so much to learn, so much to learn… Thank you so much, Steve.

P.S. I have been doing this for two years now, so I’m not THAT slow, haha! :wink: I’m still new, but not THAT new. :wink:

@Steve076 If I calculate time, accounting for my slow self, I reach a price of about $850. (at $50 an hour and 2 minutes a window (and that’s including ladder time and all that) Now, Even though I would be happy enough with that price, the fact is, that equals less than 2 dollars a pane. Should I not charge a little more than just time if I’m doing so much ladder work? about 50% is ladder work, and I guess I thought that compensating some for the fact I’m 25ft up in the air (could be very tragic if I were to fall, you know?) would be par for the course? Do people not generally charge a higher hourly rate for a riskier job? basically if I stick with 1000 dollars, a $60 an hour rate, and then pad that with a couple hundred for bargaining purposes, I still feel like I’m not paying myself what it’s worth to spend two hours doing 25ft high ladder work. Am I wrong, dillusional, wimpy, etc to want compensation for ladder work? Becauase yeah $200 an hour is a super high rate, but, 70 or 80 dollars for the ladder work is maybe okay, huh? Because honestly, that is what is going to be slowing me down. My trad skills are just fine, I’m not a slow washer, though I’m far from the fastest. If charging a little low is what I have to do to get this job is what I have to do to get it I will because I need it, and because It’s still going to be the most money I’ve made in a day, but I think I can start out higher and then drop it if I have to to get it. I think I would like to be at a 900$ minimum, but if I could get 1200 for it that would be awesome. Ugh. I just need to relax and stop thinking about it for a bit because I’m getting so worked up about it! Thanks Steve, if you made it this far then you’re a real pal. :slight_smile:

Ike, you get this under your belt, braggin’ rights for ever. (In a modest professional way of course.) Just finished my biggest house yet. They are totally camera shy, but at end of job she said I could come back and take pics for my “portfolio”. Nothing says you can’t be a little cheaper the first go around. It’s ALOT of work. I would love a lift here. Can’t wait to see how this turns out for you…proud of you, Man. :smiley:

1 Like

Thanks, man!

Whats in pic looks like 13 wide by 8 tall (104 windows) I would estimate 2.5-3 hours windows and frames inside.

This type of facility in my area has no money for window cleaning.

Is it a city operated building?

Idk, maybe I’m just super slow on commercial work, or too detail oriented, but I would estimate this job at 3-4 minutes per pane for ladder work, and 1-2 minutes for ground level. Remember your per pane time includes all the time between panes: moving and climbing the ladder, rinsing out and rewetting your washer as needed, etc.

And maybe I’m shooting a little high because it’s basically a first time clean. I would shoot for 75-85/hr for my current level of workmanship.

But by the sounds of things, I probably am way too meticulous to work in the commercial sector competitively. 90% of my work is residential.

At any rate, whatever you decide to bid, I would recommend leaving 3 days open in your schedule for this. Might sound like a lot of time, but you’ll want to recuperate after all that ladder work. Hopefully you’ll get it done in 1.5-2 days max. But if you’ve never tackled anything like this before, it’s best to be on the safe side. If you don’t usually book work for weekends, you might pencil it in for Thursday-Saturday if it’s ok with them. That way you’re not giving up a regular work day to make time for it.

1 Like

This is a very similar job we’ve serviced for 19 years. The glass box up on 7th & 8th floor inside is very similar to the portion of your job with 104 windows.

What’s in pic is 15 wide by 6 tall (90 windows) and is 30’ tall. I use 5 piece ladders and compete in 2 hours.

1 Like

Yes, it’s City run, it’s quite popular and doing well, and our city has a lot of money to spend, our city economy had been very good the last few years, which is how this place was able to be built on the first place. :slight_smile: @Infinity that’s very wise, I was planning on leaving a couple days open because of how long it might take me.

@anon46335951 okay, awesome, thanks for that info. I don’t know what I would do without all you guys?

Your thinking is correct. It is most difficult to estimate time if you do not have experience for jobs like estimating time on. Do a fair per pane pricing that you can live with. If they don’t accept then it is not in their budget, which isn’t surprising many times. Do at least set aside two days for it whether you use all of that time or not.

1 Like

At the end of the day doing this job you will gain experience and understanding of how to tackle a similar task in the future and how you want to be paid for it.
The money is great for the short term while the experience can be greater in the long term.

Bid how it makes you comfortable if you really want a job don’t over bid, if you don’t really care if you get the job or not, then over bid.

Commercial isn’t just a sloppy cleaning.

Your not slower because you get the windows cleaner but that your methods aren’t as efficient.

I find that I spend the most time scrubbing. I’m pretty efficient with the squeegee and can avoid detailing on most commercial panes.

Maybe it’s just that I’ve been jaded by my most recent experiences with commercial. It seems like I was tackling some exceptionally dirty glass :thinking: