3 man crew

One of our crews this year is a 3 man window cleaning crew. It’s an idea we had over the winter and we thought we would try it out to see the results. Now this crew is 2 experienced employees and one newly trained employee. One guy is WFPing on the outside, One guy is cleaning interior, and the 3rd guy has tasks that speed up the other 2 employees. That crew is killing it so far. A normal 2 man crew produces $115-$125 an hour. This crew is producing $225 an hour all day! We are cutting down our times in most cases in half. We even see areas we can make them more efficient. The only negative is we have to take 2 vehicles to every jobsite because we operate out of Ford Rangers and they only seat 2. If this crew continues to kill it, I will be able to pay for a full size truck pretty fast. Anyone else run anything different than a 2 man crew?

4 Likes

While 3 people can earn more per hour they will also spend more time traveling. If you can line up one or two jobs for them a day it works out. If it becomes 3-4 or more then you lose money.

I don’t think he will lose money. The trainee isn’t going to be a high paying salary… So if any thing he makes off of him an helps the 2 other guys out who will be more appreciative cause they don’t have to do the grunt work

Actually it might help with up sells cause one guy might have some time to work on that with the customer. To me it’s a win win

1 Like

if you have all higher $ jobs and few job stops it can definitely work

with 3 man teams there can be high PMH but its the day totals that will tell the real story

1 or 2 jobs a day is probably optimum for day totals, @$225/hr that would be jobs $700 plus, if that’s you’re typical job size, bingo

1 Like

I don’t mean you lose money as in take a loss. I mean that $225 an hour can easily drop to the same rate as a 2 man team. So you end up paying 3 guys to do the same work 2 guys can do.

This hurts the guys because they make less money.

1 Like

Kyle thats great to hear the The 3 man crew has increased your pmh!

In another life in a different service business, I ran 4 man crews 2 inside guys and 2 exterior guys each guy had a specific job. Adding the forth crew member i saw the same results as your seeing. Like Bruce said job size plays a major role.

Now the key is to keep that machine “feed and well oiled”.

I see some new work vehicles in your future! :wink:

Do you have any pics of the Ford Ranger setups?

iv been running a 3 man crew [from a crewvan ] about 5 months -it works great!

prior to this set up ,i ran a 4 man crew for several years and struggled to make it pay well on all but the busiest days. it was only by pure chance i downsized to 3 was convinced we would struggle to complete the rota- how wrong i was

for me , 3 works the best .

2 Likes

Not on me… they are out working right now. I will try to remember here in a few hours to take a pic for you. Are you wanting to see how we load them up or just a pic of how we have them lettered up?

@Bruce is right. On smaller accounts, 20 windows or less we are not seeing a huge difference. But the newer markets we have expanded in the average home in 30-40 windows with many 65+ window accounts. Thats where we are killing it. We are also running 2 pressure washers for housewashing and driveway cleaning. Same results there as well.

2 Likes

my friend likes to run 3 man when he gets killed is travel time. as long as jobs are well organized it’s fine.
i have run 3 man too but i always had flyers in truck so if the job doesn’t require 3 “go drop flyers and knock on doors”

2 Likes

Initially I was more interested in the load plan that works for multiple crews but now I realize that I would also like to see the lettering. I started out with door magnets but I hope to upgrade to lettering.

@HBM

2 Likes

We have been running a 3 man crew for a few years now. Works GREAT!

I’m actually in a weird spot where I will have a 4 man crew until next Monday when we double down on trucks. Thats a little too much lol

4 Likes

@HBM I also have pictures of my trucks on our facebook page www.facebook.com/CleanMyWindows

2 Likes

We have an extra truck not shown and I have an estimate vehicle lettered out. I have been having the third guy driving those. It hasnt added too much extra expense, but its going to be a problem as we get swamped in May and those vehicles are on the road. I really dont want them driving personal vehicles to jobsites. I also dont have it in the plans to go buy a bigger truck.

1 Like

Three man is better than two… and yet better than 4
Thats where I’m coming from, for what it’s worth.

4 Likes

I agree with this for basic “residential” window cleaning.

2 Likes

I would start with one guy. You have to train him I assume. If you had to train 2 guy I think it would bring your $/hr down without increasing production.

1 Like