3 man crew

If you schedule right it will work out. Like I said how much are you actually paying that 3rd guy. More than likely he is a trainee/helper. Making what a 100 a day.

So you can’t find a 100 a day to cover his salary even with drive time . Instead of 2 guys making 1100 a day you need to plan enough work for 3 guys to make 1400 or so a day.

^^^. Just arbortory numbers You get what I’m saying

He is saving you time on each job time is money just have to plan it right , an train him right

I wouldn’t put 3 techs together @ a high salary …unless its like some have mentioned a big job that could last the day. Or 2 nice jobs close by

1 Like

We aren’t going to shaft a guy making only $100 a day. Now you got a guy who doesn’t give a damn how well the job is done.

1 Like

Do me a favor. Go call 3 home improvement company’s today. Tell them you have no experience , but your looking for a job. Ask how much they will start you off at.

2 Likes

I think it is certainly personal preference but here is what I found in my experience:

(sample example)

1 guy alone = $60 per hour in revenue generated.

2 person crew = $100 per hour in revenue generated.

3 person crew = $125 per hour in revenue generated.

I have always noticed a diminishing return when using 3 person crews for residential work. I think it may have something to do with a reduced sense of “urgency” because there are two other guys there to “save the day”

Again, just my opinion.

7 Likes

I’ve done 4 man, 3 man, 2 man and solo over the years. My experience is that a 2 man is consistently the most efficient, but if planned well a 3 man will net you more at the end of the day. I do love the challenge of efficiency with different size crews.

5 Likes

To me it’s not a “win, win”. To me it’s a win, win, win.

2 Likes

I love the 3 man crew but the biggest issue I have is driving time = increased costs and sometimes when it gets slower they finish early and everyone is unhappy that they’re getting less hours. I prefer to have 2 two man crews so I can send both crews to a big job and then break off one crew at noon to go do another smaller job while crew one finishes the first job.

3 Likes

That is another big problem with 3 man crew. I have noticed over time that certain people will do great in a 2 man crew, but you add a 3rd person and their motivation drops dramatically. Worst case productivity drops below what what 2 people can do.

This isn’t their fault, they don’t want a third wheel.

2 Likes

I am loading down my 3 man crew with work. On an average day with drive time a 2 man crew can handle 3-4 houses in an 8-9 hour day (average 25-30 windows a house)
My 3 man crew can knock out 6-8 houses of similar size out in a day. And where I am seeing the biggest return are on houses of 50+ windows and storm window accounts

5 Likes

Do you think that the three man crew will accelerate and/or improve the training time for the new guy? Just wondering if having access to two full timers, each of whom might have a different training style and some variation in individual techniques (equipment usage, customer relations, salesmanship, etc.), provides the new guy with more depth of training.

1 Like

nope, I do all the training. He has already had 3 weeks of solid training and I am check in on and off jobsites. We have monthly reviews also with employees where we go through there job performance and set goals. Also, the 2 guys he is with are probably my top 2 employees. I am very careful how I handle new hires their first 6 weeks.

1 Like

Your 3 man crew can do 8 houses in one 9 hour day? 1 hour and 15 minutes per 30 window house including drive time?

1 Like

Depending on drivetime yes. 20-25 windows, 1 guy starts WFP, 1 guys starts cleaning inside glass, and 1 guys removes, cleans, and replaces screens. And then that guys also helps the other 2 finish up and pack up. next house is 5-15 minutes away. 8:30am-5:00pm-ish.

1 Like

A well oiled machine.

3 Likes

they normally skip lunch, cause they want to get home faster. I havnt had a callback yet this year since we started running this crew mid march

1 Like

That’s fantastic Kyle!
Make sure they take a lunch, you got to feed the machine to keep it operating at a high level… :wink:

3 Likes

they normally pack a lunch and eat between jobs. I tell them they can have a 30-40 min lunch everyday.

Its a good “work habit” culture… just wish I could find more prospects

1 Like

To me the answer lies in the vehicle-get a toyota tacoma with 6 foot bed four door or a full size pickup and start loading up the work load…Im asuming you do residential? Adding a 3rd man to a house job was an ephiphany to me: have him prep each inside area by moving furniture-curtains-knick knacks and pull the screens/storms starting on the top floor-when he gets to last window start cleaning and replacing everything.3 men crews dont work for me on storefronts-only when training newbies on outsides but not cost effective. On commercial it all depends on size and type of job. I miss the days of only 3 employees it was one of my most profitable and enjoyable periods in 25 years