57% discount?!

He charges $1 a storm… this isn’t a joke. He taped his cards to some ccu homes we do and Luke called him pretending to be a customer… reeeeeaaall friendly guy :unamused:

3 Likes

That. is. insane lol! He won’t last long.

3 Likes

He’ll be that guy complaining that there is no money in window cleaning.

6 Likes

Are you really getting $250 for 24 windows? Prices in my area are about $7 each including tracks and screens. That’s what I’m charging and I get underbid multiple times a week.

Assume your pricing runs an average between low and high:

24 windows $5 each; inside and out $10 each
24 tracks $1.50 each; 24 screens $3 each (actually clean them).

24 x 2 (in/out) = 48 x 10 = $240 + (24 x 1.50) 36 + (24 x 3) + 72 = $348

Do a few tests in your market, are you GIVING AWAY TRACKS AND SCREENS?

1 Like

Target a different customer.

1 Like

No way… $7 bucks a double hung window?
Are you in So Cal?

I’m in So Cal. $7 is a starting point. Price goes up for 2nd and 3rd story homes, high interior work, accessibility, etc… We get more in some neighborhoods but I’ve noticed that this year weve been getting underbid alot. I quoted a 3500 square. Ft tract home a week ago for 420. Probably about 2-3 hours for a two man crew depending on how dirty it is. Someone else bid it at 250. They asked me if I could match their price and I told them no way.

1 Like

One side?

I wish. Interior, exterior, screens, and wiping down the track with a wet cloth. I know multiple window cleaners who work for other companies and as far as I know I’m on the higher side of the pricing scale in my area.

Okay, pricing isn’t what the customer WANTS you to charge - it is what YOU want to charge to be a profitable business.

You can find a WHOLE LOT of low paying customers to make bank, or find a manageable amount of customers to make bank.

http://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclopedia/business-services-charge-how-much-30158.html

1 Like

How much to charge?

Price yourself

Even as a sole proprietor you are your employee that you are paying. That should cover salary, health insurance, paid leave, paid sick time, flexible spending account, etc. Everything a standard company pays for employees and costs to run a business, you pay for yourself.

1 Like

What is your closing ratio (jobs that you
able to sell compared to bid/quotes you put out?)

50%, 60%, 70%, 80% ?

So a standard residential window…

is $2.50 per side, then $1? for track and $1? for screen = $7 in and out?

Are you working in a depressed economy area?

From Zillo:
“The median list price per square foot in San Diego is $433, which is higher than the San Diego Metro average of $347. The median price of homes currently listed in San Diego is $659,000.”

A homeowner with a $650,000 home can swing more than you are accepting.

Ya I understand what pricing means and No I’m not in a depressed economy area. Competetive for sure. Just to give you an idea there’s over 200 window cleaning listings on yelp. And again $7 a window is just a general starting point. Actual price is determined by how long I think the job will take/ how much effort is involved, where they’re located, how I sourced the lead etc…

Where are you located? Maybe our markets are different.

And I’m closing around 70ish% of residential leads depending on where they came from.

That is not bad. Sounds like your pricing isn’t the issue. The problem is others are pricing below what they could get. I know SoCal is super competitive for sure.

Is this math right? Maybe I’m just reading it wrong. You say $10 for in/ out so that would be $240. Unless you’re saying $5 per pane and youre talking double hung windows. Otherwise it doesnt add up.

Ya this year we’re really pushing high end commercial/ storefront. Mostly restaurants, ocean view offices, etc… These people seem to actually want to pay more and are more aware of what professional company has to charge to be profitable and stay in business. I feel like residential window cleanings are starting to get lumped in somewhere between house cleaning and handyman services. Not to say that no one recognizes the value of of a professional but alot of people dont really know the difference or care.

4 Likes

I definately think you’re on to something there @clean

Yes, markets are different in different regions. I’m in St. Petersburg, Florida.

1 Like