Above Top rung ladder work (Pics)

Interesting pictures. They would look cool on failblog.org or something like that.

I guess my main concern is that a new person to the site may see this and think it was some what acceptable in some way. From the post that followed the original post, hopefully they’ll understand that this is NOT safe and should NOT be done.

Reminds me of a friend of mine who works in construction and he is always walking fearlessly on the top of a 4 inch board 30 or 40 feet up, or standing on the top of ladders and reaching over with a nail gun to get that one last nail in, we always tell him how nuts he is.
One day he was up about 20 or 30 feet up he had one foot on the ladder the other foot on the top of this wall, and the top of the ladder started to slide out on him; he hooked his one foot on the ladder and started to yell. He got his other foot hooked over the wall, to try to bring the ladder back, but all he ended up doing was being stuck doing the splits 20 feet up. He was sceaming for someone to help him, but nobody could, cause everybody was dying laughing, after a few minutes one of us finally stopped laughing enough to move the ladder back so he could get down.

I am intrigued by those stunts, not necessarily impressed.
It did seem to me by your wording in post #1 that you were putting what he was doing in a favorable light.

All I can say is: Water fed pole or a longer ladder before someone gets hurt. I use to do crazy ladder work like that too.

The first 7 words of my post are calling him a nut. Favorable Light huh> :wink: Also LOL @ someone seeing these pictures and assuming it must be safe. If it makes you feel better I’ll add to the subject “Don’t try this at home”

No hatred here. Just honesty. Sorry for the misunderstanding. Apparently I’m in good company.

+1

I like the added warning!
But to be honest I wasn’t tempted to try it, but maybe that is just me!

Anyone with half a brain knows better. Apparently I’m in good company :wink:

I think this statement is hilarious. Get your nose out of the air. First of all, you wouldn’t have a clue whether or not this was going to happen when you hired the guy and second of all, you’re seriously going to walk outside and ask him to leave when you see this sort of thing? I don’t understand why people get such a hard on to tell people when they are wrong. All of the sudden you’re so much better. Give me a break.

As to the original post, holy crap. I’m not a big fan of heights as is, there’s no way I’d be attempting this on a ladder. It may be dangerous but I have to give it to him to have the balls to do it.

If this was an employee of mine you better believe he’d be gone the first time I saw this happen. It would be irresponsible of any employer to knowingly allow this.
I’m sure he thinks “I’ve always done this w/ no issues”. I’m reminded of the saying “there are two kinds of people that use ladders - those who have fallen off one and those that will”. Ladders are dangerous enough w/out us going out of our way to make it worse.
OK, I’ll get off my soap box.

Tony, You’re not seeing this correctly.

1. He’s his own employee.
  2. He’s done this kind of crazy nonsense so long, getting hurt isn’t an option in his head.
  3. No one here is justifying his actions or saying it’s safe.
  4. We all know how dangerous ladders are, especially me. Standing on the second to the top rung gives me hot flashes.
  5. I was simply sharing some pictures with no other intention.

I guess he could fire himself :slight_smile:

I understand you aren’t endorsing his stupidity.
Think of my post as a way to speak to those new guys out there that are trying to “get the job done” and might use a horrible example to excuse doing the same thing.
Even in a thread where the intent isn’t to endorse bad safety habits (and I firmly believe that was not your intent) there should be guys that speak up and say “hey this guy is a dead man walking”. JMO

WOW … This is going to be one of those threads that are going to linger around like a bad penny for a longtime. I wonder if he does comm, jobs that he may think that require’s him to get on a ladder the way he does ? Wouldn’t that just be a jonny OSHA’S picture perfect example to show at classes !
Common sense goes right out the window. I hope he never falls and ends up laying in a bed for the rest of his life thinking " god i shouldn’t of done that " all in the mean time his wife or girlfriend is wiping his A$$ because he is a quad ! People like that are scarry !But i guess if you give a person enough rope they eventually hang themselfs.
I am with you on this ( TONY EVANS ) and amongst all the others that see it the same way !

To start maybe we should rename this thread “What not to do 101”.
I had a business partner back in the day who would rather do stunts like that just to get the check and not come out of pocket for more equipment. Well I had to fire him.
If one of my employees did that kind of stuff they would be fired on the spot.
On a positive note I apparently don’t have to kill the competition cause it looks like they are trying to do for themselves.!lol
Nick

It’s nice to see so many intelligent window cleaning business owners that will put good decisions before the dollar. I worked for a Fish franchise owner (one of the higher volume ones) who would take ridiculous jobs that required 7 sections of 6 foot ladder and tell us to just have one guy hold the bottom. At that height with sectionals your top section is angled straight up and down… or if you were set on an over hang it would bow out away from the building… or we would take jobs that we had to carry little giants up onto roof areas going up 5 sections of sectional… I am glad to be done working for someone with a lower IQ than the cupcake I just ate :slight_smile: … although it WAS a good cupcake…

Whoa, I just got vertigo sitting at my desk looking at those pics.

Injury isn’t an option for me either, but, still, I end up with some sort of bruise / pull / headbump every single day.

There wouldn’t even be a warning if someone working for me was doing this. Fired, straight up and simple. A warning would just give him more of a reason to do his acrobatics again when I’m not around.

At that point, I wouldn’t give a f about his safety, obviously he doesn’t. I’d be more concerned about giving my customers a coronary!

Man that is some crazy guy or really must have big CAJONES!!! I wouldn’t ever attempt or consider anything like it. One this is if I own a circus I would totally hire this guy lol

Sic pics forsure…
Some people like to push limits.
Different strokes for different folks.

Wow, that’s freaking nuts!