Abrasives

What abrasives are the best for window cleaning?(storefronts if it matters) There are lots of options out there to choose from, bronze wool seems to be popular. I’m pretty scared about scratching a window so is there an option that works that has a low chance of scratching or is something like bronze wool perfectly safe to use and I’m just over thinking it?

Buy the extra fine bronze wool from WCR. It’s safe and lasts a few days. Cost effectiveness is about the same as steel wool, with less risk of scratching as can happen when steel wool begins to rust.

Just don’t use it on tint, film, plexiglass or mirrors and you’ll be fine.

3 Likes

Hey @Parker1751 @Samuel gave you some great advice above.

Make sure to remember this.

You’ll find that a lot of storefront windows are crazy scratched already. Just use steel or bronze wool. Next month you shouldn’t have to worry about it at that store. Also, magic eraser’s are awesome.

Another thing. Check for window film! They make security film that prevents damage to storefront windows from scratchie tags. It feels soft/sticky under your squeegee. Any abrasive like steel wool or erasers will turn it milky and then you’ll be on the hook.

2 Likes

Any other way to spot it besides the feel from squeegee?

Sometimes you can see the edge of the film near where glass meets frame.

If there is any doubt, test your abrasive on a very tiny inconspicuous area of the same pane first.

3 Likes

To add to what Samuel said, sometimes they only do the reachable areas on the lower part of the glass because its cheaper and vandals typically aren’t 8 feet tall to scratch that high up. You’ll see a line about 7 feet up where the film ends.

Before using abrasives I’d remove all the loose and lightly stuck dirt to see what your really up against. That involves squeegeeing…

3 Likes

It is the glass surface that is the real issue here. Not so much the steel or bronze wool.

Henry

But of course plexi, lexan, tint, and film should not be rubbed with steel or bronze wool. Shouldn’t be touched with a razor blade. But think about this. Why mirrors? They are not tempered. Rather they are annealed. The surface is glass. The simple truth is that annealed surfaces can also be problematic, and mirrors tend to show up even the slightest scratches much easier.

Henry

The way I been spotting some windows not to hit with wool is when you squeegee of the glass It’s almost like a shadow following it around on the glass then its gone

1 Like

Roughly twice as easy?

Yes that is an interesting effect. It shows you that there is something different about the surface.

Henry

Probably that. Cuz typical glass will reflect about 7% of all incident light from the surface. Whereas a mirror will reflect much more of the light back through from the reflective coating. Some of the light is of course also diffused through the bulk or thickness of the glass. Diffused light has no effect on making scratches easier to see. When light strikes a plate of glass it is either reflected, diffused, or transmitted. A mirror will reflect and reflect again the transmitted light.

Henry

2 Likes