All of my competitors are charging ridiculously low prices, what do I do?

I did 51 or 52 panes in and out (can’t remember the exact number), does that sound reasonable?

Speed is the product of accuracy. You will be able to do over 100 someday. Practice makes perfect.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 4

Many things can slow you down and every home is different. I find that when I do a home the next time it goes more quickly.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 4

Honestly mate 8 hrs to do 52 standard panes is a long time imo, it sounds like u need more time on the glass with a squeegee.
Spending that much time detailing, 99% of the work needs to be completed by the squeegee, scrub window 1st then squeegee all u should need to detail is the edges, me i leave them til they are dry its so much faster walking back over ur work at the end with a dry scrim detailing ur edges.

When i teach people to clean windows i try to make them understand how the squeegee cleans the glass as a scientific process. How the rubber on the squeegee works, once u understand how this process works and are able to flawlessly manipulate your squeegee you will save yourself days in washing rags and hours in touching up errors. A lot of window cleaners are just remembering the technique they were shown and never fully understated the science behind the job.

Friday just gone i did a 8hr job that was 68 panes, of those there were the front and side of the house (double story) that were all colonial each framed pane of glass contained from 12 to 18 squares in each 40 panes in total were colonial. these squares were about 8 “x 8” i fanned every single square, and pretty much only ever touched the edges in detailing
I am a 1 man show 12 months running my own business, i charge between $3-$7 per pane per side all inclusive depending on level of dirt, I live 5 mins from most my customers so i do in person quotes i sell them on my service not my price. The quality of my work is second to none.

Good post [MENTION=24315]Steve076[/MENTION]…

[MENTION=7924]stephen88[/MENTION] I think your speed will come with time and technique.

[MENTION=24315]Steve076[/MENTION] So you guys who charge by the pane.? Double hung = 2 panes Casement = one pane if your charging $5 per pane that would be 10 for the DH an 5 for the casement. Correct?

I am a 1 man show 12 months running my own business, i charge between $3-$7 per pane per side . So for a 6 over 6 which equals 12 panes you would get between $36-$84 . I’m just curious.

The edges, me i leave them til they are dry its so much faster walking back over ur work at the end with a dry scrim detailing ur edges.

Not the outsides though right? I don’t know if I could ever do it that way not saying its wrong though.

Well over here in Australia where i live the majority of the windows are aluminum sliding windows the configuration of these windows normally comes in a few different configurations thus why i split it down to by the pane, and a double hung would be 2 panes, casement windows would be a single pane, however my colonial pricing differs completely from a by the pane count, as in most of the colonial windows i clean are not separate panes, rather a sectional window, however this is a permanent sectioning not removable. I would charge these from $0.60 to $1 per square depending on level of dirt. For the example job that i refereed to in my last post i charged $640.

As with the detailing of the edges if i am doing ladder work of course i will detail when i am up the ladder however for ground work internal or external i detail after edges are dry. I will always do a quick walk around the job when completed to ensure all is up to my high standard i walk around checking all work and detailing any edges that need detailing, i find in when doing colonials i use a modified rubber that has the corners cut out to minimize any side detailing.

That’s cold man. A “Bucket Bob” is always a “Bucket Bob.” A “one man show” always has his own ladders, equipment, knowledge, and pays taxes.

Can you explain “corners cut out” ?

its a 6" ettore type channel with 5mm squares cut out from each corner i saw it here a few months ago works great.

Do something similar. Edges always left smalll beads of water right up against the caulking. I would see streaks where tried to dry/wipe regardless of material used. Since I do a lot of pulling I use a small detailer first. Creates a dry line. It is pretty quick. I use a unger light green plastic handle from Home Depot. Channel and rubber cut to the width of handle end, about 3.5". All pressure is applied to entire rubber. Even tried angling the end, makes a trapeziod to hit deep corners. Works great on french type frames. A technique that works for me. For $5 can make 3. Even better now since put in hard rubber.

Ok thats what I thought you meant, Thought maybe you found the magic “snip and tuck”. LOL

KAPOW!!

That’s what I’m talking about!

I charge on the high end of the scale, and that is deliberate: $15.00 per complete double hung or $9.00 per casement, with adjustments made for large panes, true french divides, access, height and soiling - cleaning includes glass, frames, sills, tracks, and screens. Nice additions I provide at no charge are high dusting when I am already in an area to do so, washing and oiling (if wood) the front door, removing cobwebs from eaves, etc. I find this to be on the edge of what this market will tolerate, and I can negotiate by deleting screens from the price, and still preserve the $6.00 per complete frame for residential. I find that $6.00 per pane ends up being a very workable price for not only my efficiency, but also my customer’s wallet.

Here’s the thing though: I am moving stuff around on their nightstand to get to that window behind it. Other than cleaning companies, few other services get this intimate with a customer. The question is, do you feel a sense of privilege to be let in to their world to provide such a service? If you do, then you price is warranted. If the stuff is merely an inconvenience and left on the bed after you have completed the window, then your price is too high. I am not saying that other window cleaners are this insensitive, it is more an indication of the quality of heart you put into not only the work, but in your regard for your customer being more than a check at the end of the day. People sense this, and be that as it may you will never be regarded as a rip off if you keep this in focus - at least that is my experience. If other window cleaners are this careful and they are charging less, I speculate that they will be curious as to how they too can charge your rates.

Yea, if everybody charged a high rate we would all be making more money. But, no! Some want to be greedy and get all the windows. Even if they have to work 16 hours a day and drive an old station wagon to do it. People have no business sense. Charge what you want to, it’s your business. You set the rules.

Ahhh I know! Not only are they screwing the rest of us but they’re screwing themselves too, whether they realize it or not. I think a lot of them have the ‘poverty mentality’ and do not realize that their labor is worth more than what they’re currently charging, they’re just thinking ‘wow I’m making $12 an hour, that’s way more than I made working at mcdonalds’ but it doesn’t even enter their mind that they could be making MUCH more than that. To each his own, I suppose

it’s thinking ‘wages’ vs running a business with which wages are 30% of revenue, leaving a 70% spread

one can work for wages, but ignoring ‘running a business’ will bite eventually one way or another

however in the customers mind they see a bid for as low as $100 (wage mentality) and the business sustainable one for $335

what usually happens is operations is about 50%, so what gets ignored is admin, mktg, mgmt and pre tax net profit (the other 50% of running a business) and prices are based on just the operations 50%

so its business sustainable pricing vs the half pricers

I can chime in here. I’ve been one of the low ballers around town, but not in window cleaning…carpet cleaning.

When I started this (carpet cleaning) business 5 years ago, all I wanted was work/money coming in…period! I was one of the lower priced guys around and got a lot of work and really DID quality work. Well fast forward a little bit, I was literally running myself into the ground and very, very busy. I got to the point where I was doing 10-12 jobs a day and not coming home until 9pm. I still focused on quality, even if I was losing money.

As of September 1st, all of my prices will be going up pretty much double. I emailed every single one of my repeats explaining that my prices will be going up because of the cost of business and the quality of work I do. Not 1 account has fired me, every single customer, account, etc… said “no problem” you are worth it!

Lately, I have been bitten by the window cleaning bug and have been very busy with windows. I’m very slow but do quality work and charge $2.50-$4 per pane depending on soil level and ease. Window cleaning is a very easy upsell when you are already there cleaning carpet/floors btw.

So the bottom line is, stick to your guns and charge what you know you are worth. If the customer complains about $1/pane, then you probably don’t want them as customers anyway. Let the other company deal with them!

One of the things, from the PWRA convention, that comes to mind, was from the branding class by Guy. He said, “If the $99 house wash guys are killing your business, it’s your fault!”
That goes the same for the bucket bobs and low ballers. Branding, is huge.

Also, residential sales domination, by Thad. Concentrate on what you want to specialize in. He said, “Go for the rifle approach, instead of the shotgun approach.” That made me think. Also, he said if they’re comfortable with you, money usually doesn’t matter. Concentrate on one area at a time. Street Bidder, vehicle signage, consistent uniform, and try and get 5 impressions. Thanks, Thad!

John K Wyatt
All Washed Up Window Cleaning
awuwindowcleaning.com

[QUOTE=Concentrate on one area at a time. Street Bidder, vehicle signage, consistent uniform, and try and get 5 impressions.

I missed the PW convention. What do you mean by “5 impressions”?

I agree with John. Maybe you don’t have a “uniform”, but don’t show up like it’s a hobby or something you happen to do on the side. Set yourself apart in both appearance and action and your customer will know the difference. Almost all would want YOU in their beautiful expensive home rather than some guy in all too casual street attire. Also give them something they didn’t expect like sweeping off the front step and entryway, or two minutes to roll up their garden hose - whatever, simple appearance visuals may be all it takes either in you or the work that you do.