Alternative methods

It would likely void the IG warranty.

Really? I use it on new construction and on window that I can’t use blades on. Never hear or seen any problems with it.

I say that only because the warranty info I’ve found online says no solvents and denatured is classified as a solvent. The warranties are written so they really never have to cover a blown seal.

I am always open to new methods for doing Constructions clean ups…the challenge is to get my customers to pay the extra charges for the extra time and effort

I would consider an alternative method as being anything slower than my primary method. Why would I want to spend more time on a window than necessary? I wouldn’t clean windows in a different manner so I could make more money, wouldn’t that be called “milking the job” ?

An “alternative method” would be anything different than your primary method, not necessarily slower or faster. If you never try anything different you may never find out if your primary method could actually be improved upon.

Well ya gotta figure there isn’t a ton of new construction going on. And if you have someone that insists that you dont use a razor, your more likely to get your asking price. I can think of 4 times this happened to us this year and we got the 3x price each time. Usually if people are insisting on one point they are more likely to bend to your price for doing it there way.

The client may insist that no razors be used per the instructions that come on the window. So if you wanted the job you would have to bend your way of doing things.

The painters should never get paint on windows because it is extremely expensive to get the paint off safely.

I always say
“who are the clowns who painted your house?”
“you need to get them back here to remove the paint they got all over your expensive windows.”
“make sure they are told that your windows should NEVER be scraped with a razor per the manufacturer.”

I usually open the can of worms and hand it to the customer. Then I politely excuse myself. They can hire a window washing clown who doesn’t know any better if they want a low price.

So Tony, what about the white scrub pads? I don’t think WCR sells what I used to use on FD windows before my business, but their’s are very similar. We used those at every CCU with FD and never had an issue, though it did take quite a bit longer.

I still use them at houses with FD (if I run into paint or something).

If you want to just use the white pads and no chemicals otherwise you are likely voiding the IG warranty.
For those who use chemicals do you educate your customers that you are likely voiding the warranty on their IG units?

Tony,
I let them know that there are NO ALTERNATIVE methods that are safe that we as an industry know of. The painter blew it and he should be held 100% responsible for any scratches!

They should always call back the painter in my opinion. It’s his problem.

Some of the window companies, as well as a guy I know that worked for a glass replacement company said most companies do not consider/will not cover full cost of replacement, if one can see spots,metallic spots, minor moisture etc in-between the panes. Only when you see a totally fogged pane will they (the window manufacture company) will they consider it and maybe replace it (I am sure with the customer covering the cost of labor install.

PS
I’ll spot scrape windows with a few paint drops on them with a pocket scraper #9 blade. It’s only when the painter splashes paint on the glass like Pallock that I walk.

I like where you’re going with this Mike. Most window manufacturers will not supply alternative cleaning methods because they shouldn’t be required. If one is painting around the window, they should cover the window to protect it. If someone is doing the cement work around the window, they should cover the window to protect it. Etc. etc. Why should we try to be the hero and clean the window (with scrapers) for someone who has already damaged it simply by getting paint splatter,cement, silicone or whatever stuck on the glass?

1 Like

I’ve seen the Education trickle down effect with local builders. Painters were getting away with crazy amounts of overspray because no one was really pointing out the problems it created. Now several of the builders have fired the “blow and go guys”, although they have had to re-hire some of them (we have a limited workforce in the area) but I have seen the number of oversprays on new construction come down. Now if only we could have the same results on homeowners that don’t know they don’t have to settle for inferior work.

We have moved away from Razors, I’m not happy about it, but we are constantly looking for alternatives, and now looking for alternatives to the alternatives because I think scrubbing is causing carpal tunnel syndrome :frowning:

razors are prohibited on many windows…

Tony, do you let your customers know that your “efficient method” is likely voiding their warranty?

It’s all part of the education. I let them know there is no way to clean the windows and have any warranty in tact since chemicals void the IG warranty. Do you let your customers know that?

Amen Brother

Hey Melody,
When the seals fail due to a chemical presence you may be just as liable for that failure as a window cleaner using a razor and dislodging the fd.
Take care,