Am I being too nice?

I think you handled it well. You were responsive but firm. You can show people that you care without changing your price. Nice job.

Some people will decide it’s too much, and we lose them as customers. Then we get new people and they feel like it’s too cheap. That’s why the only thing we can do is know what we need to make to make sure that we are happy.

4 Likes

Any update? Were they pleased?

1 Like

Haven’t heard anything yet. They were planning to arrive yesterday, and supposedly mailed the check before leaving their place up north.

You did fine. Do not dwell on this issue for too long. You handled it better than you think. Trust your innerself and it will never leave you astray. When staying positive it gets those creative juices flowing. Give your brain a break by not dwelling on things so much so subconscious can work out the best for you given your drive. It will be like second nature next time. You will be on auto pilot from there. Go to a quite place or meditate at night. Quite the mind, and listen, but only observe.

5 Likes

Sounds like they are going to doop you. Sent check from up north, not back yet, hope you get paid.

You and me both

1 Like

May I make a suggestion? You might be wise to require all new residential customers to be present when the work is being performed.

4 Likes
  1. Never bid sight unseen
  2. Id want them onsite at least to let me in
  3. You handled it well,theyre unprofessional
  4. If they arent happy, once you’re paid tell them to hire the neighbors vendor
2 Likes

I don’t agree with your number one, which is okay don’t need to.

For residential we have a pane price set up doesn’t matter if it’s 1st floor or 3rd, big or small. This way we eliminate wasted travel time and expense driving to each home. In this my area every house will have a generally an even mix of big and small windows on each home. Just don’t feel need to travel to 50 homes a month to be awarded 25.

3 Likes

I should have added we charge higher amount for first 25 panes, similar to a minimum. Then x amount per additional pane past 25

2 Likes

If you dont get paid…give some kids in the area a tray of eggs and tell them to go nuts on the house!!

2 Likes

Update: The check came in the mail, for 30 dollars more than I invoiced, along with a hand-written “thank you” note.

13 Likes

I hope they realized they got a bargain. ~$650 for two days work is a steal.

Glad to hear this ended well :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Yes me too. Hopefully I can get some repeat business from this customer now that I’ve got that place in shape.

Don’t do work for new customers when they are not there.

You really could have shot yourself in the foot with that comment how they’ll be satisfied when they see it. Maybe you did A+ work but they might be the type of people who will go over everything with a magnifying glass. And heaven forbid a window got dirty before they get home and they claim you missed one.

They never would have gotten a text message back from me. I would have called them on the phone Monday morning and spoke with them. I have business hours and I don’t text message my customers, they receive phone calls or emails during my business hours.

Nothing I do is an emergency/life or death service, so I like to keep my work hours separate from my “off the clock” hours.

5 Likes

Wish I could like this post 10 more times Mike!

2 Likes