Am I slow or just gullible?

So, basically I guess I need a squeegee sensei?

This is really the heart of what I’m talking about. There are guys that are better/faster etc. I wanna know how to get there!

I am self taught so I’m definitely doing things wrong. I spend a huge amount of detailing. And I know there has got to be a better way. So that is the big question where do you focus your skill development? Which in turn gives you overall speed.

I think we focus a lot on just being fast and not being a master of the craft. (I know, we are just cleaning windows but if its our living we might as well be Bruce Lee great)

So we may learn to be fast with tricks but neglect skill development. That’s part of trying to run a business, so I get it.

So what is the one skill you put the all focus/training/energy/time so that everything else fades away.

So that it doesn’t matter if there’s a bush in the way, it doesn’t matter the window is taller then you can reach off the floor, what is one skill that as long as you nail it perfectly every time you are always ahead?

Get proficient with an extension ladder, 24’ 28’ 32’ 40’, these skills will all come in handy always. Window cleaning, gutter cleaning, power washing all require the use of ladders. So get used to them and be comfy on them.

Not sure about you, but around me we have many many double hung windows and using the proper sized squeegee as your “main squeegee” that’s always in your boab no matter what is key to being fast. When i was first taught I sat at the same double hung window for most of the day cleaning, re cleaning and learning what I was doing wrong and what was acceptable. In the afternoon I stepped it up to some sliders and was there for hours again. I wasn’t able to go on my own for about a week, of course all of my work was checked over and double checked over. I learned properly, efficiently, and I learned the best way… Getting paid by someone to learn the trade.

Go with a 12" or 14" as your main go to squeegees, ALWAYS keep a few quick release handles and several smaller channels for those French windows or smaller pieces of glass.

My last bit of advice for now, go check out that tool belt set up thread, it’s great to see these tool belts and how efficient you can become with everything set up just right.

Mike Radzik
Pro Window Cleaning
Central Massachusetts

Sent from my iPhone using Window Cleaning Resource

I grew up in construction with my Dad, so I’m all about ladder sets, and I definitely think having the ladder in the right spot is key.

I almost always use and 18" maybe that is just too big. Should I start off small and work up to it? I know my squeegee skills could use polishing…

Sent from my XT1080 using Window Cleaning Resource mobile app

^ exactly

Sent from my SM-N910V using Window Cleaning Resource mobile app

Practice fanning with a 12" 14" and 16"

Even today after 7 years I don’t like using an 18"
On route work I prefer a 16" for a hand tool, unless the glass is gigantic then I use a larger channel

Mike Radzik
Pro Window Cleaning
Central Massachusetts

Sent from my iPhone using Window Cleaning Resource

Agreed…99% of the time I am using 12" or 14"…I don’t see bigger = faster on residential, actually for me it would mean slower and I would still have to carry the smaller ones with me…more crap on belt = :mad:

Bummer, I just order a new 18" channel. Maybe I can chop it.

[MENTION=1736]JfromtheD[/MENTION] - Thank you sir.

It has been a while, but I have come to dominate the Northwestern Hemisphere of the Window Cleaning Planet. 1 pane at a time. I will make the world just a little bit clearer.

What can I say. We all need a hobby.

Pulls can be done relatively speedy. It’s the turns you need to pay attention too. Commercial or residential, it doesn’t matter… My suggestion is practice speed at a grocery store during the busy shopping hours. Do the doors when it’s really busy. That will speed up your work considerably. Another thing I did in the first three years was to time myself on a window. Every time I got back to that window I would time myself again. I was always trying to beat my previous time. Race yourself… You might win…

It’s worth trying to master. We all have preferences, but every house, every storefront, every job, I carry an 18 and a 12.

But do spend some time in the work belt thread because your speed is going to be affected by your setup.

in residential i always use 18" and 16" for me 18 is faster on most dh and i always have a small 5" or 8" with me for french panes.
but i agree with the other i cut my teeth with 12" and worked up to 22" in residential. but i prefer using 16" 18". the thing that you need to concentrate on is fanning and minimizing number of stroke per pane. learn how to use a pole, this helps with bushes. also i tell the customers with thorny plants right up against the window that i will only do what i can reach with a pole or i will bust out the wfp for that one window. learn ladder placement and how to squeegee well with both hands. minimize trips to van or whatever you have.

Eric

Jared carries 18 and 12, I carry 14 and 22. Everybody’s different. Do what works for you…

I think I’m wasting time ‘over’ fanning the glass. I need to dial it in more.

I’m thinking of taking a suggestion on here and doing some time trials. Trying different methods tricks and seeing which is better and then later compare for improvement.

Stick with learning the fanning technique. You will become much faster. And yeah grap a stop watch at dicks. 17 bucks can tell you where you need to be speed wise…

Oh, that is one subtle thing that I have to catch new guys on: are you using an 18" squeegee but only taking 2" of water off each pass? They try to go fast but the squeegee isn’t taking a lot of water off each time. Make sure each pass is taking off big chucks of water!

Fanning will make you faster it takes time to do it right and fast. I use to do pulls when I first started. I was taught how to do fanning wrong for 6 months. Went to commercial/high rise and was correct. I am now much faster after doing it 40 hrs a week for 1 yr.

Eric

That is what I was taught for six months until commercial corrected me

I feel like it’s cake work… Maybe it’s just me…

Listen closely Grasshoppa… Don’t trip over pine needles. Pay attention to what your doing and learn what you can from advice, videos, first hand experience, etc. Only you will know how your cleaning improved from the last window