Any of you guys work with a disability, and how do you cope?

I was recently diagnosed with “Essential Tremor” and it causes my hands to shake. So far it has not been a problem washing windows, just gives a little more action to my scrubbing motion! For those of you old enough to remember her, this is what Catherine Hepburn had that made her hands and voice shake.
My balance is affected so I stay off the extension ladders, but feel safe on my Little Giant.
There is no pain, and my life is good! In case you were wondering I’m mid 60’s and still going strong.

4 Likes

“Any of you guys work with a disability, and how do you cope?”

My wife says i do!! :wink:

I believe we are the only one that limit ourselves when it comes to disabilities.
We can over come most things we just may have to do it differently then most!

1 Like

good for you man. i am 60, body is holding up not bad.
i have struggled with mbd all my life, (minimal brain dysfunction- has also been called add adhd and other names).
there are actually numerous variations of it that cause somewhat different difficulties.
ya ya i know: “that explains a lot” lol

1 Like

i knew you would say it if i didn’t :smirk:

I know what you mean Buzz, I’ve been guilty of saying the OCD thing myself. If one were seriously “OCD” would they ever finish a job? I think they would rub a hole right through the glass. Probably depends on the severity of the diagnosis.

2 Likes

I don’t have disabilities but I have lived long enough (I am 56) to have some annoying joint issues. Several weeks ago I ran out of a variety of supplements and neglected to restock. Naturally this was right at the beginning of very long shifts. Not a good move, all my owies came back in force.

Yesterday I finally loaded up on turmeric, fish oil and glucosamine. I will schedule some chiropractic procedures too and try not to fool myself into thinking I can just do without and tough it out.

OCD = wrist pain after every single job.
OCD = 3 hour jobs taking 7 hours.

1 Like

i have ocd su bad ut takes me abboot 10 hour’s just to chck each post i make for gramaterical and spilling hours

4 Likes

I’m on my third knee replacement in less then 3 years ,with bad arthritis for a lot longer. I have a hard time with the term disabled. . I feel it would be a lot worse with out a purpose, just keep going and focus on what you can do.

1 Like

I agree, “physical impairment, or health issue” might be more appropriate. I’m not the best with words.
I just thought it would be an inspirational topic. It is amazing what we humans can accomplish, and it is helpful knowing we are not alone with our issues. These forums are so appreciated, and helpful.
Keep smiling, life is good!

1 Like

It is very good to have found such a rewarding (in so many ways) career! Not to mention being your own boss. And the ability to work at your own pace.

1 Like