Anyone have days where you can’t clean glass right?

Really rough day yesterday at a residential. I was there twice as long as needed and I must have redone every window on that house two or three times. Nightmare. My skill was lacking yesterday. Not too hot, no awkward windows, brand new rubbers. I couldn’t clean a window to save my life.

2 Likes

What was the problem?

Streaks in fanning, streaks in straight pulls with a pole. I had 5 different squeegees with Black Diamond, Ettore, Unger and Moerman rubbers at different levels of hardness. At one point I got my dry mop out to do a few of the outside windows.

I need more correct practice.

1 Like

Maybe it’s your Squeegee angle, or it could be curved glass.

1 Like

I’m sure it has something to do with the fundamentals, having one thing slightly off makes a world of difference in the outcome. Back to the basics.

Probably not enough water, dry air and not enough overlap.

Also I’ve found new rubber tends to leave turn marks when fanning until broken in.

Saturday was a bad one for me. had to put a insurance claim on a broken window that fell on my wife’s head. the inside of the glass broke on her head while she was cleaning the sill and frames and the glass fell on her . The glass was all over the place . she is alrite but the home had so many types of different kinds of window with storm windows too. Every screen that you touch would break . She had Ac units that I had to move out the windows that they said they would remove. Home owner was following me like a hawk. I was losing my patience with the lady . My wife was fine and help more then she usually does… I give her a lot of cred . It’s amazing how a home owner can F up your day

2 Likes

Well… things happen🤔 It understood that is what we all have the insurance for. The insurance is like an A-bomb. It gives you a protection, but god forbid to pull the pin! You know what they will do when you have to renew your policy, right?
If the window costed only few hundred bucks I would rather pay the price to save on the insurance expanse for the long run.
Good news is that your wife is ok👍. Was it a storm window?

2 Likes

You’ve got to watch out for concussion - there can be peculiar symptoms that can’t be assessed by how much pain there is. If you notice any memory issues or driving issues make sure she gets an examination.

Maybe the body is saying sleep. Your mind can be fired up from exercise or drinks and not notice the body has been sending these passive aggressive notes up from the engineering deck.

2 Likes

I also had once the same problem…I do not remember how I fixed, though. :thinking: You don’t push too much on the rubber, right?

My advice to you is to learn to identify problems before you accept any job. I know it takes experience, but you need to set rules for what you will or will not do. Asses the liability vs. reward, if the liability outweighs the reward, refuse the job. There is plenty straight forward, non-risky, work out there.

For example, my rule is:. “I do not do window disassembly or removal of any kind”

This means that if they have storm windows, I will clean the front and back of the glass, but I will not take them apart and clean every side of multiple panes per window.

Figure out what you don’t want to do, and just say no!

6 Likes

This is the simplest answer, and likely the correct one.

Thank you for the information she is doing very well she was in shock for a little bit she was able to go home took a shower because the job wasn’t to far from our home. She came back and continued to work even wanted to try and use a squeegee and clean some windows I was scared that she got injured she was great .

1 Like

Thank you very much DFWsqueegee
It was a double hung window I’m totally confused how it happened but I’ll super glad she all rite and I have insurance for things like this

If it tilts in and the latch didn’t fully engage she could have jarred it loose.

1 Like

I need to learn to say no but I’m just trying to get my name and company out there . Pay my bills put food on our plate make people happy but you are exactly right I get mad at myself because I don’t say NO and waste time try to take things out or down . Thank you for the information and im gonna start doing what you do :+1:

1 Like

I completely agree with @DanTheWindowMan on establishing “policy” and just straight passing on some jobs.

That said, there’s also something to be said for patience. A lot of guys, myself included make good money on storm jobs. But you gotta allow yourself enough time that you don’t feel rushed or stressed while your doing em. Go through, pull em all apart so you know what your working with. Then wash and reassemble.
Additionally, with storms in particular, you gotta be in charge. We make it clear to the customer that if a window does not operate in a mechanically sound fashion, we will not clean it and will remove X amount from their bill.
That takes the pressure off; if you can get? Great. If not? No worries, customer already knows the deal.

Just some thoughts. Glad your wife is alright; stressful day for sure.

3 Likes

I know, I was there, and probably most on this forum were too. The challenge when starting is that you do jobs that you KNOW in your heart, you should not do. Its too risky, doesn’t pay enough, etc.

But I did those jobs too, bills needed to be paid.

I think the issue is that when you are desperate for work, you may lose sight of the time spent on a “bad” job, could be used to find a “good” job.

Regardless, I did a lot of jobs that I would not do now, when I was getting started. And I learned a lot. I don’t regret anything, and it pushed me out of my comfort zone into pressure washing. Which has been very profitable.

I am on the fence here. How can I advise you to avoid jobs, that I did, and now avoid? When doing those jobs is the reason that I can advise you to avoid them?

Maybe learning from experience is the best after all???

4 Likes