Automobile-less Window Cleaning

The sign was in French and said “bike for sale”. I’m not ready to cash out of window cleaning yet! :wink:

As a result of using bikes and being out and about so much we got tons of requests to build these bikes and sell them. It’s now turned into another company…

https://www.phattycycles.com/

4 Likes
1 Like

That trailer looks a lot like mine, only yours doesn’t have a wrap around support for the wheels like the two child trailers have. Your axles look beefy though so they may be stronger than the ones I have.
I’ll try to get some photos of mine to post, because I need to work on organization of the tools soon anyway.

P.S.
Love the buckets!

1 Like

@ Pure_Water_Window_Cl

Love the white cargo bike (the rear load one). It looks as if it may be sporting a 20 inch rear wheel behind those saddle bags for the low profile rear end for bigger top loads. I started building one of those out of two scrap bikes, but never got around to putting brakes on or smaller pedals, but I was able to ride it around the yard for proof of concept of the design… i need to go back to work on that because I was lacking a welder then and have better design ideas after that experiment. Also played around with trikes a bit but never got around to the reverse trike I want to build. Thinking of just welding the ass end of a scooter onto the front end of an ATV and replace the back wheel with a 2kw or 3 kw scooter hub motor. But that is another adventure yet to take place.

That white cargo bike in your picture reminds me of the RADWAGON that i was drooling over before I opted to do the trailer rig with a cheap bike.

1 Like

Dude. love the taco frames too.
My first memory of that style for electrics was the Super73 when they did their KickStarter campaign. It looks as if your prices and specs are in line with theirs, so I am sure your bike company will be as successful as theirs has been. Best of luck to you on that. Those are out of my range, but I would love to have one. That 1500w would not be legal here though, unless it was registered as a Moped, which means paying for tags each year…

1 Like

That’s a Triobike long-tail that was used for storefront for a couple of years. Great balance and tons of fun!

The newest truck and trailer…

3 Likes

@Pure_Water_Window_Cl
Totally random question… where did you get the wood for your (previous posts) trailer?!?

It looks to be torched wood (Shou Sugi Ban) giving the grains that black color…

1 Like

Good eye! It’s actually simple plywood blowtorched and then thickly varnished.

The sign is actually a stencil that looked really good as I was putting it on. In the end, I just varnished over the stencil to keep it in place. Finishing 6 years with that little box trailer and it still has several more left.

1 Like

Ive been researching/looking into torched wood techniques all summmer… I recognized it right away! lol
For those reading… check it out for yourself… its very cool!

Google “Shou Sugi Ban”

1 Like

!

1 Like

Blog interviewed us about our 3 bike based businesses…

2 Likes

excellent read. Glad you’re getting the recognition and hopefully more of us (ME) start finding ways to do this.

1 Like

Thanks! Some companies write off the idea because they envision having to do one or the other when in reality you can mix up the use of your truck and bike for different applications.

However, some won’t even have a choice as a lot of city centers are going electric vehicle only or even outright banning cars or service vehicles (electric or not). That’s the case here in Montréal. Many fellow window cleaners no longer offer their services in the downtown area for this very reason.

Adapt or die.

1 Like

I may very well have to restrict my geographic area for this…also for logistics and sanity.
Do you restrict on the Island? I have seen you on ile des soeur and I think Longeuil.

1 Like

Man good eye! Where are you located?

With my flatbeds I can 35-40 km in any direction but I prioritize the island mostly.

I’m in Las Vegas. I was up in Idaho and saw a guy with his own trailer and bike, NOTHING like yours, but functional for the small town he is in.

1 Like

Hey @Pure_Water_Window_Cl

First, congrats on the recognition. You’ve tapped into something unique that really sets your company apart from the competition.

Second, I dismissed your clean by bike approach as impossible for where I live. I’m in a rural area that’s 10 to 20 miles from a major town.However , your post inspired me to dig deeper. I’ve come up with two possibilities: 1. Increasing my fitness level to access a new subdivision that’s closer and 2. Building up a residential route in one of those towns and trailering a bike in. Then once I’m there, riding the bike to commute to the jobs.

You’ve shown that creativity can translate into success , which is very inspiring.

1 Like

…$1,350 half day by bike.

Overhead:

$70 rental

$2.00 break pads

$9.00 gas

11¢ electricity

2 Likes