Awning Care Post Card for Nov 2008

Here’s a copy of my Awning Care Post Card for Nov 2008.

Wayne :o)

I like it Wayne. It’s a real eyecatcher!

Thanks Tony!

I like your new squeegee holster. Let me know how it works out for you.

Thank you for all you contribute to this site.

Wayne

I just got it today but I tried it out a little around the house. So far it’s much better than anything else I’ve used. May have to get a spare as Winspray is out of business and won’t be able to get anymore once their gone.
As for the site I’m just happy to have a place to help and be helped by fellow wcers.

mucho like

Wayne you are the awning care master!

Thats a real nice card. How many of those do you send out and how do you target only people that have awnings? Jott down there name as you spot one? Maybe hook up with the install companies?

Whats your secret?

Thanks Chris for your comments and for all you do to support us!

Yes, I’ve built a database of people that have awnings (by doing field work) as well as property managers who manage shopping centers and the like. I try and mail to all of them at least every two months. It keeps my name in front of them.

I also work closely with the awning manufacturers in my area. Most of them do not clean awnings, they only make them. I’ve worked hard at getting them to refer me to their customers that need awning cleaning. In turn, I refer my customers that need new awnings to them. Here’s a copy of my Awning Manufacturer referral flyer that I give to my customers.

One awning company (one of the biggest in DFW, my service area) I have such a good relationship with, that I go out and work with them at least a few hours a month when they get into a bind and need some extra help. (I’ve learned a ton from these experiences.) I also help them with their marketing and in exchange they give me a list of all their customers. -It’s a great relationship and I’m also happy to help them.

I have to be careful not to step on anyone’s feet so this referral flyer has helped me out.

Wayne :o)Awning Referral Sheet.pdf (77.4 KB)

Great stuff Wayne - can you show the B-side?

Hello wayne, good card !! Would be better in color !! Do you seal awnings ?? We clean and seal awnings, i take befor and after pictures. This really helps in sales. How do you clean awnings with low pressures or high pressure ?? Do you recolor awnings?? Drop me a line or two!! Thanks, stan, pro window kleening in south dakota

Hi Karlos,

Thanks for your comments and the information you share on this forum. Here is side B of that Awning Manufactures Referral Sheet - Tips For Awning Care. This information is helpful to customers in keeping awnings in good shape and hopefully they hold on to it because of the “valuable” information included.

Have a good day,
Wayne :o)Tips for Awning Care.pdf (29.4 KB)

Hi Stan,

Thanks for your comments, Yes, sometimes I seal vinyl awnings or apply water repellant to canvas awnings. I also find before and after pictures a big help in selling cleaning jobs. I’ve never re-colored an awning yet, but I understand that it can be done with a fabric paint or resurfacing compound.

What chemicals do you use in sealing and cleaning your awnings? Have you re-colored an awning? I would like to hear about it.

I generally use a low pressure, hand cleaning method to clean awnings, but sometimes a little more pressure is needed to do the cleaning job.

I would love to see some of your before and after pictures. Do you have a website with some of them on it?

I have a few of mine on my website www.AwningCleaningServices.com, check them out if you like. Also there is a page on “How to Clean your own Awnings” so you can see how I clean my awnings. Also I have a few videos up on YouTube showing me at work: http://www.youtube.com/user/SpecializedMaintenan
and
http://www.youtube.com/user/AwningCleaning

The best to you!

Wayne :o)

Wayne, good to hear from you !! You and i are basicy on the same page. I use a tucker pole for the rince and pole with a do it right tool. Looks real pro and all folds up to 6 ft. By looling at your site u need a sm boom truck would really help. It’s on my wish list too!! On recoloring a boom truck is must. But it would pay for it’s self. Clean and seal and a maintaince program is whare the magic is for sure!! I’ve seen recoloring done and it’s got it’s place. South side with fadeing !! Who’s in line that dose the maintance??? Hum ! And change color !! Three x the price of clean and seal !! Wow !! Works on open weave and vinal !! I need info on repair on site !! Theres a lot of work out there and very few people doing it right!! Any way drop me a line. Stan, pro window kleening

Wayne, i also use solvent basis sealers that woun’t wash on in the next rain or two. I can make a poor awning look all most like new. Shine is what they want!!! Clean and seal is must!! The uv inhibeats keep things going right!! I only get spring and fall cleaning. And yes i’m in the image buss!! Not the cleaning !! People spend 20,000 for a awning and don’t mantain it !! Penney wise and dollar dum !! For sure !! I just give them a bid and say it’s your image not mine !! I would like to do some repairs as most awning co. Are half a state away. So got to close for now. Stan

My biggest problems are always with canvas awnings & unlucky for me - these are the most widely chosen here. I have a lot of trouble with pine sap & mould - I’ve yet to find an off the shelf, all-in-1 cleaner that can take off these problem marks.

Hello karlosdaze, can you do 4 cleaning a year there? Clean and seal is what it’s about!! What image do you want??? We have the bird thing here. In season they eat berrys and such. Then hit the awnings that stain badlly !! You can clean it but have a clean stain !! What a deal !!! We get a spring and fall cleaning because of weather. As far as tree stain i would clean and seal more ofen. Question :: Whats the purpose of a awning??? To draw attion to the buss. Would you go into a place that didn’t take of the carpet etc. Is the food good?? Image to clean and good product !! Or is like the dirty awning out side??? Do you pressure wash or low pressue clean??? A person wants to blast off all this stuff but you will wind up paying for the skin replacement. With all the things that a awning go thu too much can damage seams and etc. Fun fun !! A person can make some good money doing awnings. Clean and seal.!!! Stan,pro window kleening since 1971

No, can’t get them on the quartely. I’m afraid that businesses here, come before the customer in most cases.

Karlosdaze, whats your weather like yearly?? I think a lot would depend on if a frainise (sp) or not !! Here in the states like mc donnals they really keep things up!! I clean the windows 2 x a month. Your ma pa places aren’t quite as much. Again image buss!! You didn’t answer how you clean awnings?? Fill me in !! I guess a person can allways twick things up as you go. This is why i like this buss !! For sure !! Stan

Currently in tornado/storm season. Usually its pretty good - sun & very hot, so it can dry out any chemical within a couple of minutes even at 5 a.m.

They don’t keep things up here. I usually get the awning call 5 years after fitting. Sometimes with rips & mostly cigarette holes, usually always with pine sap & mould.

Business image is a rare thang here!

I clean awnings with winsol/starbrite & sail cleaning products. I’ve been doing it for around 8 years - but not that often.

Oh no he di’ent!

karlosdaze, WE ARE GOING INTO FALL. FIRST SNOW AND RAIN SO…!!! TIME TO DO BOOK WORK AND SHARPEN SQUEGGE RUBBER AND REVIEW VIDEO TAPES!! YES WE CLEAN WINDOWS IN COLD WEATHER !! NOW WHOS FAULT WAS IT THAT THEY CAME TO YOU 5 YEARS AFTER BOUGHT??? YOU SHOULD GET AFTER THEM RIGHT AWAY!! RIGHT ! MAKES IT EASYER WORK FOR YOU!! DO YOU HAVE BATTERIES FOR THE MAJIC WAND !! HA!! I DON’T BUT MY PENCIL RAISES THE PRICE FOR ALL THE EXTRA WORK TO GET IT BACK TO LOOKING GOOD!! WE GET 1.00 FOR BASIC AWNING. IF THERE IS HIGHTH OR RELLY BAD CONDITION IT MORE. OR THEY CAN RESKIN IT FOR BIG BUCKS!! I’VE SEE LOTS OF BUSS JUST NOT DO MAINTANCE AND PRETTY SOON THERE CLOSED. I WONDER WHAT HAPPENED THERE. THATS WHY YOU SELL IMAGE!! NO MANDER WHERE YOU ARE PEOPLE LIKE CLEAN !! I SEE A LOT OF WEIRD THINGS THAT DON’T MAKE SEANCE. NO CAN’T AFFORD TO CLEAN BUT WE’LL REMODEL FOR THOUSANDS !!! GO FIGURE !! THE CHEM YOUR USEING IS WATER BASIS. THE OTHER ARE BETTER ON VIINAL . WOU’T WASH OUT IN TWO YEARS AND CLEANING IS SNAP !! THE ONLY PROBLEM IS THE TOP OF AWNING ALLWAY HAS LOTS OF DIRT!! RINCE AND RINCE. I HAVE TWO TUCKER POLES. ONE WITH A LARGE GOOSE NECK. I ALLSO USE A LITTLE GIANT LADDER FOR UNDER THE AWNING, BACK LIGHTS CLEANING . MOSTLLY POLE WORK… BUT SOME TIMES A PERSON HAS TO TOUCH IT BY HAND. WELL I’M LONG WINDED BUT THERE IS A LOT OF THINGS TO SAY. STAN