Aztec Screen Washer

I know this is an old thread, but Jared, do you have a lot of sunscreens in NM? Here in AZ the hardest part is getting sunscreens looking nice (especially those made of the black material), not so much the bug screens. I would love for a way to cut down clean time for screens, especially when we can have up to one bug screen and two sunscreens per window. It sounds like we share similar environments, I don’t know if you have the dust storms we do though. Just want to make sure I’m comparing apples to apples.

We don’t have many sun screens here but we do have dust storms.

The only screens that need extra attention are those plastic heavy dog resistant type screens. Those i give a quick mop then run through the washer to scrub and rinse.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Window Cleaning Resource mobile app

[MENTION=12729]JaredAI[/MENTION]

I have the Aztec Screen Washer. The legs are a little wobbly, but otherwise works great.

I have had my Aztec screen washer for a year now. I like it, it does wobble a bit one time it fell over and sliced the blue hose in half. The only mod I made was making a few more holes for water to spray from. Overall good tool to have

Sent from my iPad using Window Cleaning Resource mobile app

Anyone own both the Aztec and the Ipc to compare?

Sent from my iPhone using Window Cleaning Resource mobile app

Bullseye!! I bought the 2nd Gen IPC screen cleaner and it is the sh!t More work 2 bring em all out to clean but the results and presentation are worth every minute. I chose the IPC over the Aztek based on construction and appearance of durability thru videos of each product. I’m not about to waste $300 to save $100

The wobble is what deterred me from purchasing it. Perhaps if yur out in the front yard of a client’s home fiddly focking around with a piece of equipment to complete a task may, it come across as incompetence.

Why dont you guys widen the base to make it more stable…

Most window cleaners adapt some tool in their arsenal at one time or another to perform to their liking.

If it’s on flat ground no problem, one time deal.

I love how compact it is

I have the aztec, it is awesome, i also went ahead and made a few more holes for water to come out.

my only complaint is setting it up and having to manuever the 4 legs syncrounously in order, would be nice to have an easier way to just pop it up and go.

I do get many compliments from it and it has made its money back easily with the first two jobs. If there is a version 2 that comes out I would easily buy it just to have two on hand.

One interesting comment i got from a homeowner was she said “did you make that thing yourself?”, nevertheless she was so impressed by it that she continued her excitement by saying “im gonna call you back all the time now”

How did it fall and cut the hose? I’m racking my brain to figure how that’s possible… :eek:

Outside of creating a really complex base, it’ll wobble. But I’ve run screen doors through it with no problems. I designed it to work on all terrains. We mainly have yards full of rocks and with my footprint it’s no problem. I’ve cleaned off the side of curbs, on top of gravel, pavement, etc and even occasionally grass. My personal favorite is the large rock bed.

But to each his own. Find what you like and get the job done!

I think Mark (@BeautifulView) might have evaluated both.

Yeah, the legs were what took me forever to figure out. I wanted it to be one piece because parts get lost and one of the versions was to have 2 pieces so you just drop the legs over the unit but I couldn’t see how to make it stable and compact.

I’ve been using this design for 3 years and, yes, it wobbles a little bit but it gets the job done. The brushes will always be tight on the screen, the aluminum won’t rust, and you can bury it under ladders or whatever other equipment you might have in the back of the vehicle.

That was the main goal of my design: I didn’t want something that I had to baby and prevent from getting bent or damaged. In my van, it regularly got buried under equipment and ladders so I’m pretty happy with how it turned out. I was pretty brutal with my prototypes and they’re still getting used.

Oh, and by all means, get your own sticker printed to put on the side of the unit. It’s definitely eye catching when you have it set up in the front yard!

IPC screen washer 2 is what i chose. Works bad assssssssssss.

IPC Bristles look much longer- great for large screens and screen doors

I would have to have owned the ipc2 in order to provide a feedback comparison but I only have the aztec and from what I notice is that the aztec has 3 rows of brush with a wider body. the wider body helps to protect the brushes and keep the water contained as not to splash around everywhere. the 3 rows of brush are perfect to provide substantial overlap scrubbing.

the ipc2 looks to have only 2 rows of brush meaning a less overlap scrub surface. and thin body does not protect the brushes from wear and tear in the event of being a little careless while storing or transporting it. the external plumbing can also be a problem if tossing the unit around the back of your truck carelesslly. its also $150 more then then aztec.

as long as you are happy with it, thats all that matters. I love the Screen Washer 2

@[U]JaredAI[/U] You could use one of these for your foot control valve: [URL=“http://www.amazon.com/Nelson-Foot-Controlled-2405-Discontinued-Manufacturer/dp/B0009NES88”]Amazon.com : Nelson Foot-Controlled Water Shut-Off 2405 (Discontinued by Manufacturer) : Garden Hose Parts : Patio, Lawn & Garden
From the reviews you might need to be kinda careful with it but it’s only $20. Saw one on ebay for $10

BTW I almost pulled the trigger on the Aztec during the last free shipping weekend but I think I’m going to wait til a little later in the summer

It was setting flat on the floor in Mark’s video. Don’t get me wrong, the compactness of the legs was very appealing for storing in the truck.

That’s pretty cool. That’s the one thing I give IPC props for is the foot valve. That’s a good add on.

But I just opted for keeping the cost low and I figured all of us have valves in our vehicles from wfp equipment. I have been contemplating adding a valve and how to make it more stable. I’m thinking of something like this john-guest-shut-off-valve and it could go in under the brushes. If it was outside of the body, it could get damaged.

I did go ahead and purchase the Aztec, I’ve had it for a good month. Great buy! It’s saved me a good couple hours already on screen cleaning and it does a better job than using my mop, especially on frames. It’s a definite work horse. The legs are kind of annoying to place and it does wobble a bit, but not as if its going to fall over, more like heavy dining room table sturdy on an uneven floor - it seems to be more of a manufacturing precision issue due to the leg stops not all being in the exact same spot - meaning all the legs don’t hit the ground at the same spot. To me this screen washer was not designed with “precision” in mind, it was meant to be a work horse that you could toss in the back of your truck without worrying about busting up a sweet paint job or bending it easily. I love it, possibly might poke another hole in the blue hose though.

Would I make a couple changes? Yep.

More holes in blue hose.
Precision Manufacturing.
Grind down or round the sharp edges a bit.

And it would be even more of a beast!

Thanks for the feedback! I’m going to go ahead and add a second hole as part of the standard build. It seems to be a common request. Even at 2 holes, it’ll still use less water than the IPC which shouldn’t upset anyone in water restricted areas.

Basically, I did build this as a big hammer to hit the one really annoying task of cleaning windows. Plus, in New Mexico, it was a safety thing: We’ve cleaned a lot of windows out in the “boonies” and there’s always a risk of hantavirus. You can pick up the hanta by breathing in dust that field mice have urinated in. You basically feel flu like symptoms and then 3 days later you’re dead. That’s always been in the back of my mind when cleaning screens. The chances are really low, but when dust is involved I can’t help but think about it.

It’s not precision manufacturing and like I mentioned in my thank you post, it does set my OCD on edge. I’d like for each of them to be exactly the same, with perfect robot welds, but these are hand welded and built so they’re all different. It’s also why I keep interviewing welders…:rolleyes:

I recently interviewed one company and they claim they can tighten up the welds and make it pretty. But it would increase the sale price by about 30-40 bucks. So I guess my question is: would you pay $40 more for prettier welds?

I’m a big hammer type guy so the welds (other than making my ocd itch) don’t bother me much. When I’m cleaning a house, I’m more concerned with getting the job done and saving time. The more time I can save, the more money I can make. The homeowners and neighbors of those who see the unit are excited by the service and no one has mentioned the welding. So that’s why I’m curious what the group thinks. If 40 bucks isn’t a big deal, I’ll switch to the other manufacturer.

I still go over each one and make sure the edges are rounded and smooth and clean up whatever needs cleaning up as I assemble them.

I’ve also been contemplating how to make it more stable but keeping the fast setup/tear down (I like that I can flip out the legs and hook up the hose in about 30 seconds). I may have figured out a way to remove the wobble which I’ll try out this weekend on one of my prototypes. If my idea works, you could easily retrofix your unit with a drill in 10 minutes. It should still allow me to have an all-terrain washer for those of us in xeriscaped (or zero-scaped) areas.

Regarding the leg stabilizers, do you have to have welds here? Could a nice countersunk screw/bolt work? Then you could make a template to guide placement and have it come out nice and straight every time.