Backpack alternative?

I was wondering if Mike, or someone else, can give a little more details about how you guys adapted a manual pump backpack sprayer to work with your WFP.

I’m interested in setting up something like this to have in my van for those pain in the butt windows you come across every now and then, also I have a couple of commercial accounts that I can really use this (no water on site there). Any advice will be appreciated, I can give it a try with a regular pump sprayer to see what happens.

I purchased this back pack from WCR, so it came with the ball valve and a small quick connect.

I removed the quick connect, added the brass nipple, clear section of tube, the brass garden hose connector (male brass nipple to 3/4 female garden hose) and then just screwed the plastic quick connect (male threaded to female quick connect) and this is what I snap my WFP into.

I really don’t know how convenient to use a manual pump up sprayer will be. You could try it I guess.

Hope this helps.

Almost forgot the pics:

Thanks for the pics and details Ken.
Right now I don’t think I can justify $300 to use it just a couple of times a month.

Will try with a manual one to see if I can understand the concept a little more in depth.

I’ll wait to see if someone knows if a good pump from Northern tools at about 1.2GPM will do it and If I need a pressure switch or can do without one, because I’m thinking about something else but not a backpack, but a “mini-trolley” system of sort.

My problem here is not access to a physical location but the lack of water on site, I do have a van and have room for a tank, but don’t like the fact of carrying water, for safety and fuel consumption .

First of all my manuel backpack cost me under $100 at Home Depot. I cut the hose and added a shut off valve and a small RHG quick connect. The WFP hose snaps on and off very quickly. The shut off valve is not used to control water flo while I clean, it is there so the water doesn’t drain out of the tank in my van. The manuel pump controls the water flo. Four pumps and I can wet and then scrub a window. When it’s scrubbed and ready for a rinse about six more pumps will build up enough pressure to rinse the window. With a backpack water conservation is very important. I have a 4 gallon tank and I can work for about 30 minutes using this method. Very important to have a RHG hogs hair brush because it holds more water during scrubbing than a nylon brush. Pencil jets are easier to work with than fan jets, because they need less pressure to function properly and use less water. I use Igloo 6 gallon plastic gerry cans so I don’t have to run back to the truck to refill my backpack.

If you are like Tony, you may end up using it more than what you think. If there is a window that is normally a little tricky, you might just slip it on and give it a try. It has really sped us up. I didn’t think there would be as many jobs to use it on, but he has used it a lot!:slight_smile:

The biggest benefit of a battery/pump backpack over a manual pump up style is having consistent pressure w/out any effort.
That being said any backpack would be a versatile tool in your arsenal.

The cheapest backpack before the electric ones came along were pump up sprayers. I still use it now & then :eek:

Has everybody seen this?

//youtu.be/hot-backback - YouTube

I use to be a carpet cleaner so I know that hot water out cleans cold water every time.