Becoming a window cleaner at 16

I just use dawn dish soap. When I started out I just got some cheap squeegees from Home Depot. Now I found the best squeegee for me doing store front and residential work is the Wagtail highflyer. I have the 18 inch for the pole work and a 14 inch for everything else. I’ve learned everything on YouTube. Definitely check it out

1 Like

my 17 yo daughter is doing it this summer and is fantastic. She has made double the tips in 2 months as I did in a year!!! Folks respect and enjoy young people doing work.

5 Likes

ok, i will. I’m going to go into a dunkin or anything like that and see if i can get business by saying " you will get 20% off next wash if you recommend people that need my business" is that a good way for a business to start?

1 Like

Walk in and ask for the manager , tell him you’re starting a window cleaning service and you would love to add them to your route . Write the price on your flyer or business card and ask for their business .

I personally would create a small home made flyer off your printer and pass around your neighborhood. Put some special like 20 outside windows for $149 , pass around in your bike , talk to your neighbors.

But first get some basic tools and practice on your home windows

1 Like

If you’re truly interested in the window cleaning business , read this book from cover to cover .
It’s free

2 Likes

Do i need a buisness license?

1 Like

It’s not bad but if you can afford it I’d buy some combination of Ettore Basic Kit | Starter Kits | WCR – WindowCleaner.com and Ettore Welcome Cleaning Set | Starter Kits | WCR – WindowCleaner.com - you can ask the WCR staff to customize maybe.

You want

bucket for water, any dish soap will do most window cleaners
1 small and 1 larger squeegee, 1 size applicator or mop
Ideally Ettore rubber for squeegee because it is very forgiving - glides well
hip bucket for your mop and squeegee - it makes practicing easier with tools to hand
small study but light stepladder
scrims, microfibre or huck towels for detailing edges - a scrim requires several hot washes to be broken in

With all this you have enough to clean a lot of ground level windows.

2 Likes

The managers of chain stores don’t always make those sorts of decisions - you want to talk to independent business owners - find out who those people are in your community.

There exist retirement communities of elderly, often living in bungalows with windows in easy reach - that would be great place to start a round.

1 Like

It’s a great scheme - it sells itself I’ll bet.

2 Likes

Do whatever you are able to legitimize your operation as soon as possible. In most jurisdictions, a business license is not expensive. You will also want a separate business checking account, and talk with a CPA about tax planning and record keeping. This is all the stuff I wish I had done sooner on.

You’re in the right place, asking the right questions. I wish WCR existed when I started out.

4 Likes

ok, going to start out by going to get my business card at wall greens.thanks for the information!

1 Like

Most Walgreens will require a minimum 2 million dollar liability policy (insurance). I did about 30 of them once a month for years back in late 2000’s and early 2010s for the company I work for.

They quit service and went with an all-in-one business (parking lot cleaning and sweeping/powerwashing, building pressure wash, etc)— although I go to the Walgreens in my area to grab something and boy they look like shit. Some of these big wig companies are very cheap— hell even CVS had us doing about 15-20 of them for years— cutting costs-- first thing to go is the window cleaner.

1 Like

Ment just to get my business card. But going to lowes later to pock up some equipment

1 Like

got my first house next week

5 Likes

Way to go!

1 Like

should i detail or just a quick clean? and clean the part under it?

1 Like

Clean the part under it too if you mean the bottom sill and whatever is affected by dirty drips. Homeowners will be pickier than storefront managers.

1 Like

Ok, im going to use dawn and windex mixed with water. Is that a good solution?

1 Like

Sorry to hijack this thread…How do you like the Wagtail highflyer? Are there any modifications that need to be done? I have considered getting one

Sorry i have no clue

1 Like