Before I can cut back at my day job I need to make 500 a month from windoe cleaning. Do I go Res or Storefront?

What kind of vehicle do you have

A 4 door car bur I have a gorilla multipositonal ladder that fits in it.

Honestly I think you should start on storefront. The money is consistent tho less. You have to beat the bushes to get the residential and you just missed the season for it. In the next few months while you wait for the residential to kick off, hit up the stores and restaurants.

Primarily, if you are new, you need as much practice as you can get. Ideally, you don’t want to cut your teeth on houses. Stores give you the opportunity to do the same thing over and over until you work out the kinks.

Plus, stores are easier to plan around your one day off. It might not look as professional to have to tell home owners that you can only come in a certain day because of your other job.

6 Likes

Good advice, I started out 3 years on route work before I went into residential

1 Like

Thanks. Yeah right now I only have weekends off.

That’s exactly what I do. Route can be a tough slog when you’re building it out, but pays you back over time with steady (and usually easy) work. And you get plenty of free exposure that can be parlayed into more work.

3 Likes

I need a good weekly account like a fast food joint or something.

Careful what you wish for. Weekly is tough when you don’t have much of it. It’s much nicer to make one trip a month for 80 bucks than 4 trips for $20 each.

1 Like

:yum: Yeah, I’m new too, as in trying to build a self supporting company. Have already done storefronts and residential. However, have cleaned glass since the 80’s. One of my first jobs I used vinegar and water. Got called back, the sun came to the windows and they were a total smeary mess. Have made some nice money over the years…a taste. Now, there are 18 window cleaners that pop up just from local google. There are the FRANCHISES, EVERYWHERE…CHEAP! But, have a great circle of influence and hoping to carve out my own custom niche. The adventure continues…it’s 15 degrees today. Have always scraped (wet, never dry) and steel wooled. Add squeegee, T-Bar and lint free cloth, and you are a world class window cleaner. We just have to find our NICHE.

In the south where I live it doesn’t really snow but it still gets pretty cold. Is it still pretty seasonal considering that?

Who do you use for your insurance? I’ve had a hard time finding a good insurance company.

Libery mutual

Not as much but it can be. Texas isn’t as bad as up north but it can slow down. Florida may have snowbirds that shift the seasons a bit for them.

3 Likes

Yes indeed. Our busiest season runs from Oct/Nov through Apr/May.

2 Likes