Bidding a school

@cruzzer3 see? I ain’t off with timing…even if people disagree with pricing…my timing people agree on. I stick with my numbers because if my timing is correct then in my book and with my biz my numbers are good too.

My TDS is 306.

Im with you Tori , this’s job should take 2 pros and a helper 2-3 days for an outside only . 2 poles one going clock wise and one going counter clock wise .

But if you never had used a Wfp allow 1 week, try and rent a 1 cubic foot di tank and that should be good for the upstairs . Check with culigan water . Also check out @startbrite s set up that’s for sale , he’s good people

Thats the tds out of the water source at the school? Jeez you could almost clean em using that by itself. Thats pretty dang good!

If its like that at the school, just get some di tanks. You’ll be good to go on one tank or maybe a pair and do like Genaro mentioned.

2 Likes

WTF are you talking about? You don’t really want TDS over 10 hitting the glass. 306 will spot the bejesus out of it…

You guys NEED to listen to him… He is going to do this job one his OWN or with A HELPER. this isn’t a job that’s getting done in two days. Don’t bullshit this guy and make him feel like a failure when he can’t get it done in two days. There is no reason to try to clean 1 pane a minute. That’s just sloppy and stupid. He needs to do a good job here, as it could very well affect his future in the community.

Whatever, I’m bowing out of this discussion. It’s getting nutty as a squirrel turd in here…

4 Likes

I will fully expect to give myself a week. I do not plan on it being fast. It has to be good work. I need the recommendations. Need to win a bid finally. So far everything is always unsuccessful cause I stick to my prices. Need to learn the waterfed pole. Pretty sure I need the RO/DI System for that hard water.

3 Likes

@anon82274079 has it, don’t worry about your time as much, your learning.

You are on the right track to focus on quality, the rest comes in time.

3 Likes

Calm down there turbo, I was joking. I know it will spot. Thats why I said to rent DI tanks.
Nobody is trying to fool him. Why are you getting pissed? Have you actually timed yourself cleaning the same sized panes that are on that school?

Besides, he will know before he does the school anyway, hes going to get the pole and practice before he gets there man. Give him some credit, he ain’t a baby man.

@cruzzer3 anthony don’t rely on that for TDS. You have to go to the school and find where you will be using the water, and take a reading off of that.

What you are looking at is probably a bunch of readings from around the county or area and then averaging it to that number. Some schools use reclaimed water for irrigation of the landscaping, they usually will be marked with purple caps on the rainbird quick connects. Sometimes they aren’t marked at all and will have small signs posted.

And by the way the photo I posted of my first wfp job, that stupid job took me 9 days to finish! It was a nightmare cuz I didn’t know about this forum for starters. I called a guy who told me I had to filter the water first. Yeah, I did a good portion of the job on the first day with tap water and couldn’t figure out why it looked worse after I “cleaned” it.

If you spend a day with another window cleaner behind a pole, and once you get yours practice with it, it will absolutely cut down on your break in time.

I’ve had guys trained in a day. You just gotta work with someone if you can. I ain’t trying to make you fall. I ain’t that kind of guy. That number I gave you is good. Seriously I will walk you thru it. In fact, on Tuesday I got a job I’m doing and I’ll video it and send you a link on youtube. Hands on is going to be better tho. I’ll do a video call with you once you get your pole and I’ll walk you thru it then too.

Anyhow, the only reason the tds is important at the school is because it would determine if you should rent tanks or buy a RO setup.

If its a pain in the neck, then count on the worst case and go with the RO. Nothing worse than being stuck on a job and your tanks go out on you in the middle or halfway on day 2.

Ok, here is why… This isn’t California. Things aren’t necessarily the SAME here as it is everywhere else, ok??
We don’t reclaim water here. His school is probably like every other school around here, in that the school is on city water/sewer.
HIS local Culligans may rent tanks, but the don’t fill them locally or have them on hand. Needing 2 tanks might mean 4 tanks. You don’t know how long this will take him or how many gallons of water he will be filtering. Using DI only in this situation might get really expensive. Not to mention, my local Culligans looked at me like I was an alien when I asked about DI tanks for window cleaning. They won’t have the right fittings on hand to hook our WFP water lines to. So he’d have to get them from a online supplier anyway.

I look at renting DI’s as a waste in this situation. He’s gonna buy a pole. Sure he can write off the expense of the DI rental on his taxes, but he’s going to need a filtration system anyway, right? That DI cost might buy WFP hose, or a brush. So why waste money? If you are committing to a WFP, I think you should be wise with your money, especially when starting out.

Besides you guys are going off at how quick YOU think this job would be and how you would price it at HALF of what the competitor was. Really?! That’s a heck of a lot of glass. He already got the count on good authority. Sure, he should definitely see the job in person before bidding, but I don’t doubt the count myself.

I just don’t like seeing someone puffed up to do something that will upset them later. I like being real about things. 2K for the job is too cheap, especially here. 2 days is not enough time, especially for a new guy even if he has a helper for the whole project.

@cruzzer3 Anthony, if you live in the Hicksville Ohio area, would you like to see my WFP and system? I’m willing to come to you on a weekend. You can try out my pole and filtration system on your house if you like. You can see what I use, and maybe that will help you decide from there, what you might want in a WFP or what might be best for you.

5 Likes

@anon82274079 send me a text. 419-438-2496. I would like to work something out.

Happy Easter everyone. I will reply more tonight after the food eating.

That is a top notch guy right there!
James that is very cool of you to offer the hands on time with your equipment and your time to him!

4 Likes

excellent job of explaining regional variations. The offer of assistance was also top notch!

2 Likes

Ok.

Glad you enlightened me.

Just to clarify tho,
I never bought an RO system and was renting, still renting tanks for the last 12 years and I used them on a daily basis with some of the worst water in the country.

You see it as a waste, I see buying an RO unit as a waste with 300 something tds.

So no, you don’t HAVE to have one just because you have a wfp. I’ll just agree to disagree. Just because Culligan where you are don’t know what your talking about don’t mean there aint anyone local who rents tanks.

As far as pricing gos thats where I would be. I can’t justify a higher price tag. If I’m pulling numbers outta my but well hey I can tell em I fart bubble gum and thats why the price is gonna be 6k for one building.

Well, I ain’t trying to make enemies. Only trying to help.

It is what it is I guess.

Wasn’t trying to offend you homie.

(who cares what the competitor bid it at man. it is meaningless.)

1 Like

The competitor I met the other day rents a tank and told me where to rent one. He pays 100 for the tank and uses it until it’s used up, then takes back and exchanges. He said the tank lasts him 6 months. He also bought a cheap looking WFP on ebay for 40 bucks. The clamps looked like plastic junk, says its aluminum and heavy, but he uses it day in and day out. James you are my hero for getting with Cruze.

Well I did not get the job. Said I was the highest bid he has ever gotten. So maybe he did not pay 5,000 before. O well I was excited but I’m not budging my price. Can’t be a legit business if I do not charge like one.

2 Likes

You still wanting to get together and look over my system? I’m busy this weekend, but if next weekend isn’t too bad, I thought you could look over my system and clean a few windows.

1 Like

That’s a good thing, if you get every job your to cheap. Especially on a big job like that. If you bid to low on one storefront or a smaller house it’s no big deal. It’s plenty of more job out there, keep on struggling :blush::+1:

I would never give a quote based on what someone told you they payed in the past if it wasn’t the person who you are supplying the quote for.
I never really looked at it very closely with everyone else’s input, but I would have a few prices depending on the amount of work I had on at the time, if I was flat out I would be at $2800 , if I was work starved I would go as low as $2000.
By the sounds of your other posts you expected it to take you 5 days for $5k and your learning, many large operations have an employee per day rate these range from $380-650 for window cleaning.
I really can’t see how an experienced window cleaner could not get that job done in about 20-25 hours, double if you are learning but learners shouldn’t expect to be earning $100/hr from the get go.

5 Likes