Closing business

If you put ladders on glass you’re just being careless, especially the centers, it is the weakest point

3 Likes

Even at my beefy 130 lbs, the thought of putting the ladder on the glass sends chills up my spine. But I have been tempted to do it on a few occasions.

3 Likes

The idea of setting any part of the ladder, at any angle, doesn’t even enter my mind as an option.

If I can’t get to a window without leaning on the glass, then I CAN’T GET TO THAT WINDOW. Simple as that, lol.

My memory is far from perfect, but to the best of my recollection I have never leaned the ladder against glass while climbing it. And since owning a sectional ladder, I have never had to skip a window because I couldn’t reach it without said glass leaning. Even pre-sectional-ownership, I only had one or two occasions where the window was inaccessible by my standards.

Edit: WFP has been lifesaver, as well. I’ve been able to reach some gnarly spots with it.

3 Likes

Uh oh, this got carried away. I was joking about the glass and the near vertical ladder placement. :joy:

4 Likes

Glad to hear that :slight_smile: Since Albuquerque has hard baked ground and caliche soil, it sure would hurt to fall on it.

My one and only ladder fall happened during winter. I was lucky. I walked away from it and worked a normal shift but the next day I had to stay home, which has rarely happened since I started working many decades ago. My body felt like The Incredible Hulk had thrown me against the Empire State Building.

2 Likes

I am petrified of height…because I am deaf and have balance problem…i just learn to get pro with a telescoping pole to afford ladders. No problem for me to walk out on roof from a window, just not from a ladder. I virtually have no balance on it. You just do it to pay bills and feed the family. I dont have money for wfp but will be getting one through credit. And indoor wfp too for those awkward windows and touch up with micro fiber pad. All this often allow me to 3 stories windows safely. You can do it!

7 Likes

i’ve never been tempted, but i’m nearly 3 times your size

1 Like

:astonished:

1 Like

if you’ve ever seen shiney hard marks that won’t come off on windows you have seen where someone has placed a ladder on the glass WITHOUT rubber pads. rather than breaking the window the glass actually sands of aluminum.

1 Like

no, glass can flex. sealed units constantly flex as they heat and cool. when you are close to the edge the glass is held in place but in the middle it has room to flex.

1 Like

We can agree glass flexes

1 Like

The bigger the pane the more they flex too. Unless you have ultra thick glass.

2 Likes

So are you still in the business? Great thread

1 Like