Cool Video Demonstrating the Use of a Swivel Ledger

Here’s a cool video I stumbled across recently: Phillip Alexander - YouTube

This guy seems to have the perfect setup for saving your back. No stooping or bending. He doesn’t even need to bend over to grab his bucket.

I am seriously jonsing for a swivel ledger now. I have a yellow orbital wagtail which works fantastic BTW, but it is a fixed channel design meaning you can’t put a different sized channel in it (or a wide bodied channel)

I got a blue wagtail that supposedly works with any normal width channel (you have to drill a hole in it though) but have been very dissapointed in it. It doesn’t have the same smooth motion as the yellow wagtail, it doesn’t hold the channel very well either, and finally, it doesn’t have as much ledge clearance as the yellow orbital.

I have the regular ledgers which will hold wide bodied channels )it helps to order a super system backplate) but they don’t swivel. I am getting to the point where I think: either the squeegee and scrubber swivel or your joints are going to get destroyed (my opinion based on 3 years of window cleaning).

Any feedback on swivel ledgers? I hear that the new ones have fixed the problem of prematurely wearing out the swivel joint.

I love Phil’s videos :slight_smile:

Sent from my iPhone using Window Cleaning Resource mobile app

The swivel ledgers are great, it’s the best selling ledger for sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Window Cleaning Resource mobile app

[SIZE=3]A while back made one of these.

Still use now and as you can see that it is holding a wide body channel.
[SIZE=5]
Changeable Sorbo Squeegee Channel on Orbital Handle
[/SIZE]
//youtu.be/GSQ0yB4ZfUg
[/SIZE]

Slick!

Take it one step further, and you could replace the bolts with a quick-release mechanism from another squeegee…

[FONT=tahoma][SIZE=3]Actually have some quick release mechanisms.[/SIZE][/FONT]</SPAN>[FONT=tahoma][SIZE=3]

A while back Jesse had done a modification using quick release mechanism also.[/SIZE][/FONT]</SPAN>[FONT=tahoma][SIZE=3]

At the time could not get the one that he had used but did get a few eventually so to try what you suggested. [/SIZE][/FONT]</SPAN>[FONT=tahoma][SIZE=3]

Anyway put it on today it works great.[/SIZE][/FONT]</SPAN>[FONT=tahoma][SIZE=3]

So now only need few handles and switch out what ever length channel we need. [/SIZE][/FONT]</SPAN>[FONT=tahoma][SIZE=3]
[/SIZE][/FONT]

[FONT=tahoma][SIZE=3]Here are some pictures of the same squeegee that is in the video.

After we put the quick release mechanism on it today.

[/SIZE][/FONT]

Jesse,

We use these ledgers all the time. They have worked out really well for us. We use them on virtually any job with a ledge of any depth. They hold up fine. I have had mine for 2 years without a problem. Guys run with either the 22" or 18" channel. I haven’t seen a 30" used in the swivel ledger. We were using for years the non-swivel ledger and that became an exercise in futility!

How’s your winter going BTW?

We have been busy with all sorts of good business development, equipment upgrades, capital improvements, etc… I was hoping to slow down a little but instead shifted to some larger projects that were on the back burner. Fortunately I have a nice 4 day retreat with my family and church I am really looking forward to next month. A nicely catered snow getaway in the mountains! I can’t wait. A nice break for my wife too, no cooking.

[COLOR=#333333][INDENT][FONT=tahoma][SIZE=3]Here are some pictures of the same squeegee that is in the video.

After we put the quick release mechanism on it today.

[/SIZE][/FONT][URL=“http://windowcleaner.com/vBulletin/attachments/commercial-window-cleaning/8609d1358419576-cool-video-demonstrating-use-swivel-ledger-016.jpg”][URL=“http://windowcleaner.com/vBulletin/attachments/commercial-window-cleaning/8610d1358419608-cool-video-demonstrating-use-swivel-ledger-014.jpg”][/INDENT]
[/COLOR]

[COLOR=#333333]
[LIST]
[*]I am definitely not at your skill level with regards to fabrication, He Man. I have always envied the wide bodied wagtail you made. Very nice work.

We were using for years the non-swivel ledger and that became an exercise in futility!

[/LIST]
[/COLOR]

Yeah, I don’t see wanting to use a non swivel ledger if I had a swivel version. I remember when I decided to switch over to a swivel scrubber when I was cleaning a grocery store and couldn’t for the life of me get into one corner because there were vending machines in the way. It’s hard to always get a straight path of access when doing commercial work. Not only that, but I believe the squeegee conforms to the glass better when it can adjust a little on the way down.

When I am using my wagtail, even straight vertical pulls are easier when the squeegee can adjust instead of having to adjust my whole body.

[QUOTE=greenj26;223528][COLOR=#333333]
[LIST]
[*]I am definitely not at your skill level with regards to fabrication, He Man. I have always envied the wide bodied wagtail you made. Very nice work.
[/LIST]

[FONT=tahoma][SIZE=3]Jesse,
[/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=tahoma][SIZE=3]
Don’t sell yourself short if you feel that it may be a bit difficult to do.[/SIZE][/FONT]</SPAN>[FONT=tahoma][SIZE=3]

If you like can make a video on how it was done.;):D[/SIZE][/FONT]</SPAN>[FONT=tahoma][SIZE=3]

[/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR]

[COLOR=#333333][FONT=tahoma]If you like can make a video on how it was done.[/FONT][/COLOR];):smiley:

I think a lot of people would be interested in that video, Herman. Thanks for all the cool tips and tricks - for the solo guy, in the trenches everyday small improvements in comfort, ergonomics etc really make a difference. I definitely want to avoid repetitive motion injury.

What ???

1 Like