Countering the Summer Slow Down

Friend of mine who has the graffiti removal account for all the KC Area schools has had a gun pulled on him and the school district posts several armed guard out now when his crews are cleaning.

See, that is my argument about “gun control”. It does nothing to curb the violent offenders, only a feel good moment against the ones least likely to need controlling.

3 Likes

I tell clients that if their property has fresh bear scat I will have to charge extra because I provide my own security (my 12 gauge with alternating slugs and 00). That gets a good laugh and I haven’t needed the 12 gauge onsite yet, but might need it next spring.
I thought I was having a close encounter with a bear while cleaning some waterfowl on the beach several years ago when I overheard some loud “huffing” through the incessant screeching of the seagulls hoping to get a free meal. I grabbed my 12 gauge and jumped on the dock to scan 360. My adrenaline was pumping until I saw that the “huffers” were some whales. I chilled out and followed them upriver for a while (and I still had my 12 gauge on me).
Not sure how my post relates to countering summer slowdown but it does show that a perceived challenge can be turned into a positive experience.

3 Likes

@Kyle how long does your average summer slow down last?

@wcs normally it starts third-fourth week of July and goes till right after labor day.

My Summer slow downs have traditionally started about Mid June. It kind of started to slow some then this year, but all in all my calendar has looked better at the start of this Summer than previous ones. Hope it stays that way!

1 Like

Yeah, that’s the beauty of living/working in Georgia. Here, even in metro Atlanta, somebody tries that crap and the window cleaner might pull his own gun on that bastard.

1 Like

Suggestion:
Put together a letter or postcard for “existing customers only” offering an outside only window cleaning special starting at $99 for a limited time say July 5th to July 30th.
Details:
Customer must remove window screens.
Give the customer a scheduled day explaining you will arrive between 8:00 and 5:00 to clean the outside windows.
Get your money in advance.

Most of your residential jobs if like ours are 2-story 40-60 panes.
One window cleaner typically 1 our to clean
Charge more if large home or walkout.

Be sure to create a sense of urgency

4 Likes

@Kyle i like what @DaveYogi said here, there is a (company) well respected in my neck of the woods that has done this for their current customers in the past and he said it help fill the void. Just food for thought for the future.

Just my experience. Be careful what you provide out of your “wheel house”. “If you touch it, you own it”.

3 Likes

The company that I’m referring to offers hours of labor at a set rate and for a very limited time in WC, PW stuff thats in their wheel house to current clients.

Worth bumping this up.
It has been slow here the last few weeks. Landed a carpet and tile store today. 6 big rollup windows to open the bays, $99 exterior. Guy liked the suggestion of interiors once or twice a year at $190.

Residentials are just not moving, but I have one to get done about an hour from now.

I may sell bat boxes during this mosquito season!! LOL

1 Like

For me work started fizzling out around mid-June. Sent my second round of postcards and have been getting work again, thankfully. Hopefully it will hold me over till i send wave three in August.

1 Like

Storefront time.
Become the human postcard.

2 Likes

Arrgghhh, I hate that around here. The Bucket Bob’s have chiseled the prices down that I return the same strange look as the one I get we we compare prices of what is paid and I what I’ll accept. I offer between $1.00 and $3.00 depending on a normal sized pane or a huge pane.

The carpet store today didn’t bat an eye for rollup garage bay type windows 18 panes and 24 panes each, 6 doors $100, (75¢ ea) first thing in the morning. :-/

They only appeal to the price conscious, which is not who you are looking for anyway. If the premise that all potential customers are concerned only with price were true, then the BB’s would rule the world.
But it’s not.
So they don’t.
Find your crew, Garr.

4 Likes

Good point Jordie. It never bothers me until the dreaded Summer slow down…lol

Completely opposite from last year. No slow down this year for us. Already double last years July on the books for 2017 and work stretching into August. I didnt do anything different this year… actually I’ve done less as far as advertising. I think our brand is sticking.

2 Likes