Crazy Competitor Prices!

Long story short. I’m trying to figure this out. We did an estimate for a house I/O for $585. I called to follow up with the lady and she told me that 3 other companies were 1/3 the price and all around $200!!!

Now here is the thing, I have seen multiple bids from these companies on doors over the years and one has always been the same or higher, the other always half our price. How does a company go from being more than us on one house to a third on an other? It would take my top producing employee 8 hours to clean them all by himself. That would cost me $160 Labor + 35 tax = 195. Our bid was handed directly to customer. I wonder if one companies estimate was in the door and the next two guys just went lower without looking at the job?

My mind has been boggled.

p.s. I’m not asking how to bid, just what the heck are these other guys doing? Are they so slow as to give away labor?

Sorry to hear that happened to you. This is what has worked for me: I am constantly looking for ways to set myself apart from the competition. If you focus on price, the potential client will do the same. I create enormous value and the price rarely becomes the deciding factor. I know of a window cleaner that charges 2 to 3 times what his competition charges. He has a 99% close rate.

See my thread on wfp reducing work time and risk . jobs that used to take me51/2 hours. Now come out much better in 2 1/2 hours
I have taken this into account. I want to keep the customers
This could be a reason for those prices I think downward price pressure is inevitable with the new technologies allowing many more people to do the work that couldn’t t work at height before

Sent from my iPhone using Window Cleaning Resource

I actually saw the same competitor mark down WFP on the estimate and was 20% higher in price. Now they are lower. My company is on the higher end and have the level of professionalism to match, yet our bids are consistent.

Joshuag, we have a wfp that is mainly used on associations. Whats the trick on windows that haven’t been cleaned for 2+ years. They never seem to come out spot free.

Prewash

1 Like

Turn the water pressure down to the lowest possible and use a swivel on the brush

I will have to give that a try

If you don’t use a swivel on residential work you’ll be bouncing water off the walls and frames and spotting the windows use a swivel for direct) Close rinse

Okay Bubby

I think water fed pole is a lot like what happened to the printing business 20 years ago there was new technology in the business and the printers either adapted to the new technology and prices or they didn’t survive on customers could not print themselves much easier and faster and bring it to a printer and the border for Paul technology it’s about five years in the states now and it’s becoming adopted by a lot more people then just window washers so the price is coming down

It one day this summer I had the painter the landscaper and the delivery guy all say at the same time that looks easy

I work for 30 years nose to the glass traditional window washing and now five years water fed pole window washing and water fed pole is five times easier and safer and better results than traditional so go figure

Sorry I’m ranting it’s this talking into the microphone makes it easy to rant

Send a picture of the house for 585 let’s see it

Sent from my iPad using Window Cleaning Resource

You can’t use a wfp on the inside

Sent from my iPhone using Window Cleaning Resource mobile app

Come on , everybody let me down today I ended up doing a mitzvah job , a charity jobs my uncle Irv 94 years old his windows were filthy so I wash them

in the UK few WFPolers get good results on a first time clean- its a fact . they either do the first clean trad to guarantee the quality ,or tell the customer by clean 3 itll be perfect.

I left so he wouldn’t try to give me money ihe s my mothers brother miss you rest in peace

Pre Wash hot glass gleam for every time

Does leaving an estimate on the door really work for you?

Whenever I would leave an estimate on the door, I would never hear from those people again. In my experience, the ones who say, “I won’t be home, just leave it on the door”, are the same people who will call every window cleaner in the county to drive over to there house and leave an estimate. These people don’t care if a bunch of window cleaners waste a lot of time and gas/money driving across the county, as long as they can save some money. I even gave rough estimates over the phone to these type of potential clients that ended up being close to the actual in person price, and they still didn’t call me back. This type of potential client just want the cheapest price and hey usually don’t ask about quality or procedure. When potential clients take the time out of their busy schedules to meet with me, this shows that they are really considering my company. It also shows respect and that they actually value my time. When I meet with them at there home, I consider this meeting them halfway, this is a foundation where trust and a long term relationship can be established.

Disclaimer: My opinions are based on facts and speculation. I have not been in this industry for that long so I could be wrong. I have now changed my policy to, rough price over the phone followed by an in-person estimate.