Crazy Competitor Prices!

I agree 100% when someone says just leave an estimate in the mailbox they are just price shopping for the lowest price . Sometimes I don’t even show up if I’m real busy for those type

Sent from my iPhone using Window Cleaning Resource mobile app

Nice piece of writing there get back up again recent experience is that references are the only thing that’s working and the references are coming from Price and work quality and person ship advertising is been very slow doors to doors been very poor
The world has gotten very scary references price and workmanship
When people get good work at a good price it raises their energy level and they tell their friends

Sent from my iPad using Window Cleaning Resource

I just got one from referenced last week Ya know what works great?
cwashthe mailboxes wash the door frames wash the windows in the garage wash the entranceway stoops extra stuff they love that especially the spidery garage window that’s bugged the lady of the house for years. Takes very little time and knocks them out. The lady’s notice the spiders around the doors. And in the lights. Customer is loyal for life. 5 min work

Boy I discovered this mic and I m rantin and ravin

Totally agree Chad! Setting ourselves apart from the competition is where it’s at. I have a customer who runs a trucking company and she told me she will only haul loads for certain people . . . there is a reason she has a nice fleet of trucks and a very nice house. The reality is there are always people that will only settle for a Cadillac and then the others than run to the used car dealerships.

1 Like

I feel the same way about cleaning windows only for certain people. It is nice once you get to where you can pick and choose who you do work for. We all have what we call the “ideal client.” Yesterday I decided I will be firing one of my clients. I schedule her a month before her window cleaning. I call her the day before to remind her and she says…“I am going to have to cancel.” She did this twice. Both times were stupid reasons. Pissed me off, so she will be FIRED!!

This is true. I’ve had customers tell me my prices were $100 to $200 higher than another bid, but they chose me anyway because of the way I talked, or presented myself, or offered my services. It’s not always about price so don’t make it so.

A friend if mine called me up early summer to give me a lead in my area that called him when he told me her name I said she called me also . So I went an looked ( luckily she wasn’t there ) at the house an it was very big . So I called my buddy an said why don’t you just through an estimate at her also go 400.00 more than me an if either of us get it we will do it together so I sent her an estimate if 1500.00 he bid 1900.00. She never met either one just phone talk . I couldn’t believe she went with him . We ended up doing it together.
The reason I say glad she wasn’t there when I went then I would not of been able to do the job with him .
So yes price doesn’t always matter . Sucks though now that’s his customer nice people .

that lady must have really upset you Chad…

What was the reason she want with your mate at a higher price as oppose to you?

It will work out great! She will never be able to cancel on me again.

Sent from my iPhone using Window Cleaning Resource

That’s a good question! I would like to know , but he never asked her that’s what he told me at least. Maybe he didn’t want to hurt my feelings I did everything professional the way I spoke to her the way I presented myself ,an my estimate via customer factor was professional the only thing I can think if is I didn’t meet with her in person . A lot if times I just don’t have time to do in person estimates . It’s hard for me to revolve around someone else’s schedule, but in this situation he didn’t either nor did he present a estimate in any written form it was verbal . I really believe some people who don’t care about price don’t want the lowest bid . Lol atleast thats what I would like to believe with this circumstance .
It’s funny cause this did happen one other time . 4 years ago long story short same exact thing except we both went in person I honestly forgot what he bid an what I bid was in the 2 hundred range weather he was lower then I was I don’t remember ,but I ended up getting the job it was a small house though In the 2 hundred range . We call each other a lot to talk about calls we get he does give me a lot if work he gets very busy , an can’t handle all his work he gets . He has been in business a lot longer than me

Also see the disagreement with your premise in the same thread. Better equipment and technology does not require lowering our prices. It only will if we allow ourselves to race to the bottom by focusing solely on price.

You would be surprised how many people never go with the lowest bid. I know I do the same thing. If I get an estimate to cut my grass for $35. Then the second estimate is $50. There is a really good chance I will go with the $50 estimate.

I guess something inside my brain says …pay $50 because he will do a better job than the $35 guy

Sent from my iPhone using Window Cleaning Resource

Just because you use wfp doesn’t mean you should lower your rates. You can’t use wfp on every job either and sometimes nose to glass is easier and quicker than wfp. It varies. Never underbid yourself. I tell people I’m licensed and insured business and if you want cheap labor then I’m not the guy. Quality and professionalism sell. They’re many ragtag window cleaning people out there who claim to be professional and charge minimal but that’s what you get. Half as hacks…

I only WFP on office buildings and similar commercial work. I’ve yet to achieve the same results with a WFP as I can with traditional methods. I charge less using WFP vs. Drops.

The only residential work I do with a WFP are apartments and condos. I still prefer mop and squeegee.

For homes 1-3 stories, I’m strictly traditional. I scrape paint drips/overspray, wet wool and dry wool as necessary. I don’t see how anyone can compare.

I wouldn’t sweat it if no proof was presented. And if it really truly is the case, Think about other things they might do when they’re hard up for work. Like take a guy eight bucks an hour and take 10 hours of what your eight hour guy did. 1/2 your labor pretty much. I know this shit happens all the time and you just can’t cave in is all.
It might be messed up but I always ask for proof when they say that low. And only one customer out of probably 200 showed me. And I brought my price down dramatically because I never did a horse stable with 24 garage doors around them. I ended up making about $40 an hour which isn’t good at all but not terrible

It’s freaking me out.

The first two pages of this thread look like some sort of ‘seeing eye test’ you have to take when you get your drivers license renewed.
(just… black and white… and…letters everywhere.)

Had a lowballing competitor issue just yesterday. I bid a house at 220 (after the 10% discount) and she tells me the last guys were doing it for 175…meaning the old cleaners were only charging 6 bucks a window even for the french doors. They seriously counted 2 15 pane french doors as 2 regular windows. It’s unreal.

lots of good feedback here