Direct mail Magazine

Courtesy of [COLOR=#00681c]Don Alcantar

[/COLOR]Click here to download

Nice ad, I am sure that makes your phone ring!

Do you offer 10% off and free hard water removal, or mirror cleaning?

I thought I’d try the 10% off towards the end of last year to see if there was a difference in response. It didn’t seem to get me any more calls than the Free stuff that I offered. That offer is 10% off or your choice of one of the services offered. I noticed that I got more calls after the 1st couple of months of running the ad. I really don’t like discounting service. I’d rather give them something free!

There is something magical about the word free, too, as humans, when it comes to the way we respond.

We love that word, and it always captures our attention.

Most of us make the mistake of offering something boring, generic, or almost worthless for free, that’s all.

Can you elaborate on that ? What would you offer for free to get their attention that there is not a catch to. A (free window cleaning) maybe when you schedule and pay for the 1st 4 in advance to get the fifth one free ? Thanks in advance Kevin !

A good rule of thumb is not to offer something for free unless they would usually be willing to pay good money for it.

And although we all know that “nothing in the world is completely free”, and we realize that there is a catch somewhere, we still fall for it, and are okay with the catches, if they’re not too burdensome.

So, to clarify, you don’t need to avoid the catch, you simply need to make it worth their while.

What you’re describing could be fine, some kind of free service, when 4 are prepaid. Something fun for free would be worth trying, too.

Since examples are always easier…

Here’s an example of how I use the word “free” a ton of times, in trying to motivate window cleaning business owners to sign up for my brand-new Window Cleaning Marketing Forum:

http://forum-signup.s3.amazonaws.com/forum-signup-Feb25-09.html

I use the word “free” all over the place, quite liberally, and during the video I explain the “catch”, because there definitely is one, there always is.

You just have to make sure the catch is reasonable, and that your target market can live with it.

So, again, you don’t need to avoid the “catch”, you simply have to clearly define, explain and minimize it to the best extent possible.

Thanks Kevin,

Looks like some good stuff !

No problemo