Discount for volume?

Genius! I’ll have to start thinking this way.

I’m already going to charge extra for cleaning the screens & tracks with more than a simple “courtesy wipe.” If it ain’t the glass itself, I dont enjoy doing the work

“there’s a charge for that.” - Garry (I think?)

2 Likes

When I quote they get 3 prices:

1. exterior only, screens must be removed prior to service
  2. in/out, screens dry brushed, sills wiped and it’s noted that “tracks are NOT included”
  3. premium in/out, white glove treatment tracks, sills, deep clean screen cleaning. (I just take the in/out price and 2x it)
1 Like

Always great for them to explain what happened to “the other guy”.

1 Like

lol.
"I called, but for some reason his phone is no longer in service… thats my favorite!!!

3 Likes

SO TRUE! kind of like no good deed goes unpunished. I’ve gotten better at spotting those that can’t be pleased.
I give military, first responder and teacher discounts (former teacher here) of 5%. May end the teacher discount. Almost of those teachers, when combined incomes with their spouse, make easily over 6 figures.

1 Like
  • Teachers and maybe cops should make (closer to) what doctors make, and vice versa…
  • Military members, although I wish they should make a million bucks per year, are more geared as the toughest motherfuckers around, and for their service, I think the should pay no taxes, ever.
  • and I think they should have no worries about healthcare, and mental support once service is done.
3 Likes

I agree with the latter two. I met way too many crappy teachers. Some folks are not even babysitting in their rooms!
I tell folks I am all for lifetime universal healthcare and free college. MANDATORY military service-FIND A WAY for everyone to do it. Then let the have healthcare and 4 years paid ed.

Anything that can be given to you can just as easily be taken away. Get the Government out of the way and stick to their original purpose and let the people prosper.

1 Like

No bulk discount. Each window takes the same amount of time whether there is 10 more or 100 more to clean after it. The only discount we offer is based on frequency of service. If you have the windows cleaned every 3 months or more we give 15% off. This is because when they’re cleaned that often they take less time to clean.

3 Likes

With all due respect I think you’re looking at this the wrong way. It’s not oh this house is so big they should get a discount. It’s oh there’s so much work I’m going to be here longer which means less travel time. I am owner operated but let’s say you send an employee to do eight one hour jobs. They’re going to have to drive between each of those jobs burning gas and you’re spending money on their hourly rate during the driving time while they’re not making money. Now let’s say you can send that employee to a house to work constantly for 8 hours and he’s getting paid the whole time you can give a little discount. You’re not going oh this customer’s house is so big I should give them a discount You’re looking at the fact that because there is so much work you have less expenses when you’re camped out at a spot for longer. For example a lot of carpet cleaners may charge $0.34 a square foot but when you have a shit ton of carpet they might charge $0.30 a square foot. Essentially what I’m saying is you can still hit your target hourly rate even at a discounted price on a big house because you’re not traveling.

Correct each window takes the same amount of time to clean but if you are camped out at a spot cleaning a hundred windows you’re making more money than if you have to pack up and travel after each 15 windows. You can pass up that savings by giving the customer a volume discount. It’s not about losing money because they have a lot of work it’s about the fact that you can still make the same money and be more competitive because they have so much work. It’s the same thing with storefronts you can charge a price out of ego and then drive 15 minutes down the road to go do your another high roller account. Somebody else can take your $50 storefront charge $40 walk next door and get another $40 while you’re busy driving around. You’re only making money when you’re on the glass so if you’re busy driving you’re not making money that’s where the discount comes in for a place with high volume.

Let’s say I put 100 $5 bills on the ground all in a straight line. You can grab all of those and as soon as you’re done I will put another 100 bills on the ground. Now let’s say I’m going to put 100 $5 bills on the ground and 50 $1.00 bills on the ground ( an extra $50) but after you grab those you have to drive 25 minutes to the next location to do the same thing. After 8 hours who’s going to have more money the guy that stayed in one spot picking up $500. Or the guy that picked up $550 and then drove to the next spot and then drove to the next spot. Who’s going to have more candy a kid that smashes a pinata with 75 pieces of candy and does that over and over again? Or a kid that smashes a pinata with 85 pieces of candy then drives to another spot for 85 pieces of candy. Now before you argue that I’m talking about being cheap notice how I said $500 and $550 or 85 pieces of candy and 75 pieces of candy. I did not say $200 and $555 or 10 pieces of candy and 85 pieces of candy. I’m not talking about being a bucket Bob I’m saying when there’s a shit on of work you can offer a volume discount and the fact that you can keep on going you will still hit your target hourly rate.

What the f are you even saying… award for the worst analogy that you can’t really follow goes to this guy

1 Like

It’s pretty simple when your water fed pole or squeegee is on the glass you’re making money high volume allows you to keep doing that.

1 Like

When you put it like that, makes total sense

Yes! You worded it perfectly. That’s what I was trying to say but didn’t know how.

That’s why I’m probably going to offer a discount on bigger jobs or combo jobs like window cleaning & power washing.

I won’t offer it off the bat but if they say something about the price I’ll bring out my secret weapon :grin:

Bigger jobs might be more work but 1) no driving between jobs so less fuel and vehicle expenses 2) more time is spent working 3) etc.

Bigger ticket work should be able to be discounted somewhat. This is just my opinion and hey we all run our business how we want to.

I discounted one of my biggest jobs to $1050. Lady sort of beat me down but that was the lowest price I’d be able to do that job. Yea I spent most of the day there but I made that in one location.

If my minimum for residential was $250 I would have to clean 4 houses in order to reach the rough $1050 mark. What if those houses are split up? All that driving time, unloading time, estimating time, working, etc…

Bigger jobs are more profitable so volume discounts shouldn’t be scary words.

Just my opinion!

^ more competitive pricing. If someone says $1650 and I say $1700 but discount it 10%. I’m at $1530. 10% discount MAX. Idk I’ll have to see what works for me this is still new territory.

Maybe like a 40+ windows 5% discount.
100+ windows 10% discount.

If they don’t bat an eye at the price I won’t bring up anything about discounts.
If they do then.

Exactly, I don’t do gutter cleaning anymore but when I did I’d offer a window price, gutters and then a “slightly” discounted one with both. Made me have more to drive out there for and they often would choose both.

1 Like

So, you actually walk up to mansions , an say … wow I can discount this ??? And then you give them a discounted estimate ?

1 Like

The grocery store doesn’t care if I buy 2 bags of groceries then go to the Dollar Store and buy 2 more bags of items then the produce stand for another bag, or just do a one-stop-shop of 5 bags of groceries at once. No one is saying, ohhh, give this guy a discount. For that I don’t buy into the philosophy of discounts for convenience. The electric company charges per kilowatt hour whether I use 80 or 180 kilowatts - no discount for repeat service 365 days per year; they want their money and you need to earn yours so that you can pay for everything that comes your way. Now if you inflate your prices in order to discount your prices, then that is your game and more power to you.

1 Like

Me.

2 Likes