Do any of you use a razor to scrape entire surface of window?

Guys, it’s all good and well to guess and assume about the presence of FD…until you mess up cause major damage.

This is when the reality sets in. Such magic!

i hate my ettore 6 inch razor. It does not lie flat and only a small part of it contacts glass, thus it scratches if i have it turned one way

Unfortunately that’s actually terrible advice. From my understanding, there is no surefire field test for the presence of FD. Additionally, the claim that scraping “lightly” over “wetted” glass won’t dislodge the FD and cause scratches is simply not true.

Backing u up on this 1 bud. Well said! We all know when we are dealing with poor quality glass but it is no different than dragging dirt over paint while we was our vehicles.

Also, fabrication debris is not always uniformly present over a defective piece of glass. So test scraping a small section may give false confidence that the glass is free of FD.

so i guess the moral of the story is one should never use a razor except small sections only

#1, sure… Less chance, but can still dislodge.

#2, uh what? What you described is hydrophobic glass. I have never associated this with FD.

As helpful as forums can be, people not willing to do their homework and take whatever they read online as Christ’s solemn word can be dangerous

If this is your take on the conversation, do yourself a favor and educate yourself some more on this issue.

Good luck cleaning glass properly.

Field experience will suit you well over time. You’ve made some wild claims since you started posting, you should really sit back and do some reading and let field time do the rest.

Well one claim was that cleaner window stays cleaner longer and this other member said this, "

“Dirt is hydrophobic and seeks another hydrophobic surface to stick to. To go deeper into this, you have to look at it from a chemistry standpoint. Everything is made up of molecules and like molecules attract like molecules. It’s the basis of Van Der Waals force, which is basically how molecules attract and repel each other. Dirt molecules are attracted to other dirt molecules through electrostatic attraction.
Why is it harder for dirt to stick to clean glass as opposed to dirty? The silica in the glass is hydrophilic. Water in the atmosphere bonds to the glass and soil bonds to water through a positive charge of water bonding with the negative charge of dirt.
There is a science behind it. It’s called chemistry…”

Clean windows are not cheap,
And cheap windows are not clean…

Tommy
C-Clear Window Cleaning
(C) 903.261.3806

|

the “authorities” in the business will tell you there is no sure way to identify FD, but i have 14 years of anecdotal evidence that tells me otherwise. that “field experience” that was mentioned above.

we do a ton of ccu’s, almost on a weekly basis. the method in my previous post is as sure-fire as it gets. in all those years, litterally 100’s of millions of dollars worth of custom homes, i can think of two windows that we scratched. both times it was because my guys didn’t follow the rules i stated above (the most important of which is #3).

sure, if you put a razor on fd, it will scratch. but if you do it lightly, near the bottom of the window, and only cover an inch or so, whatever scratches you may cause are so minute that no living human could point them out with out a magnifying glass and the perfect storm of angle and lighting conditions.

i guess my best advice would be this: if you aren’t confident you can diagnose fd each and every time, then just don’t use a blade. in fact, you may want to stay away from ccu’s all together.

if you guys are ever my way i’ll be happy to show you how to spot fd every time.

We do not. At all. I don’t like making customers sign wavers.

And imo, even talking about fab debris is a waste of time cause its not gonna stop and glass manufacturers are never gonna give a sh!t about window cleaners. I mean the BUILDERS usually treat us like puddle scum most of the time. Fab debris will continue to happen, and if you use a razor there is a 20% chance you will dislodge some type of debris. I gotta say 60% of the windows we clean have some type of damage from debris dislodged from a previous wc. Customer never knows unless you show them. And even after you show em, unless you have the glass renu system, there isint much you can do. And even then, imo, fab damage is my total least favorite work with the glass renu system.