DO I need RO

Doug, you gotta change the tank out if your TDS gets high, are you saying there is a better way to make a DI tank last longer?

Hi Doug, I typically go through 1 tank per week (500+ gallons)

Simple arithmetic.

We’ll be here for ya.

Just remember to say, WCR sent me! :slight_smile:

I get around 500 gallons out of my tank. I usually exchange my tank when i hit 6ppm. I also have a water regulator on my setup, it is set to 12psi, thats why maybe i get more out of my tank, You really dont want any more pressure than that or else your water starts to splash on the glass. If you are doing 3 stories or higher, then you will have to change your water regulator, a little higher.

wow, Troy, I did not realize that you do that much work.

Did you ever consider getting a RO system, Or are you worried about the waste water like i am?

btw, Glad to see you on here, Hows Biz?

I just recovered from a major motorcycle accident, so i am finally back to work, 5 months later.

I may be overlooking that. Thanx.

are you coming up on Tuesday to hang with Chris and the gang???

Sorry to hear about the accident, must have been bad.

I have considered RO, and yes, the waste water seems like a big inconvenience. I also don’t know of anyone in So Cal that uses RO, so no way to really check it out.

very true, i almost bought that ipc hydro cart, but i was conncerned of the waste water, and it seems like there is tooo much maintenence involved…

I mean, you have to flush out the ro everysingle day, what a nightmare…

I understand being concerned about the wastewater. I was too before I upgraded to RO/DI.

Every chance I get, I’ve got the wastewater line lying on their lawn. Basically, I’m watering their lawn. And, the wastewater comes out in a trickle; it doesn’t gush out.

As for flushing the membrane, when you’re done wfp’ing, you just close the flow coming out of the pole and open up the wastewater valve all the way. The back pressure from the DI chamber flushes it out. It only takes a sec at the cart. If you’ve got a truck mounted system…it costs you a little more time to walk to the truck then back to the tap at the house to shut off the flow…maybe 30 seconds total. Either way, it’s not a pain at all.

Yeah its pretty painless.

I might, I will check out the thread and get the details.

Doug,

Please tell us what you think the flushing of RO process is like?

Bill from wcr told me that you have to flush out your ro system everyday for like 10 minutes. seems like a pain to me.

and if you dont use your r/o machine for 2 weeks or so, you have to clean out or empty the carbon,sediment, di filters and make sure they do not dry out.

is this true or a lie???

btw, shawn, did you get my email i sent you the other day???

Got your email.

None of RHG’s system owners are doing either of those things.

Flushing the system is a matter of opening the waste valve to release the pressure on the membrane. Most of the users of our systems do this while reeling in their hoses so this takes no additional time to accomplish then putting away a DI set up.

why do you have to do that to other systems then? you use the same componets for the most part right?

this is from ipc eagle about storage for 2 weeks or longer.

Storage
The following proceedures should be followed to protect the unit from bacteria
fouling and damage from freezing.
See pages 4 & 5 in this manual for prefilter and membrane removal and reinstallation instructions.
Short term storage: 2-4 weeks of non use

1. Remove both prefilter housings and dump out the water.
  2. Remove the DI Resin cartridge housing and dump out the water.
  3. Remove top cap from RO membrane pressure vessel.
  4. Open flush valve.
  5. Lay unit down and allow all water to drain out for several minutes.
  6. Reinstall top cap on pressure vessel. Do not allow membrane to dry out.
  7. Reinstall prefilters and DI Resin cartridge. Do not allow DI Resin Cartridge to dry out.
    Long term storage (winter storage): More than 4 weeks of non use.
  8. Remove both prefilter housings and dump out the water. Reinstall with filters.
  9. Remove the DI Resin cartridge housing and dump out the water. Reinstall housing without DI cartridge.
  10. Wrap cartridge in plastic wrap and double seal it in a plastic bags.
  11. Remove top cap from RO membrane pressure vessel.
  12. Remove RO membrane. Use a pliars and grip one of the black spokes on the top of the membrane and lift.
    Do not grab hold of small white tube.
  13. Wrap membrane in plastic wrap and double seal it in a plastic bags.
  14. Reinstall cap on pressure vessel.
  15. Important note: Protect from freezing. Store indoors during winter season or whenever freezing
    temperatures are possible.
  16. Do not allow RO membrane of DI resin cartridge to dry out or freeze. Damage will occur.

I guess my question would be for anyone who owns any system on the market.

Have you ever had problems with your machine b/c you did not remove filters if you were going to not be using your system for more then 2 weeks?

If so, what were they?

I’m guessing no one had any problems or they are using their wfp setups all the time

I’ve had my R3 setting for 2 weeks on occasion and never had any issues.