Do sectional ladders really flex this much all the time?

Yea, I’m not saying there aren’t work-arounds. I’m just saying extension ladders are better because they don’t require as many as sectionals do. Extensions have d-shaped rungs, sectionals don’t. Score one for extensions.

Hey Mike,
Just want to let you know that it comes across really condescending when you use professional like that. You can be a professional window cleaner and prefer extensions over sectionals. Yes I have used sectionals before and I feel the same way Rob does. I doubt that you would be able to finish the second floor of a typical Colonial style house(with time cleaning the window being the same) any faster than someone with an extension.

Hey Jay,
Sorry you took my post the wrong way. Lots of very professional window cleaners do not like sectionals. They are still top notch window cleaners in my book. What I’m trying to say is there is a RIGHT way and a WRONG way to use a sectional ladder. If you don’t understand how they are supposed to be used you will probably hate using them. However professional window cleaners who love them probably know how to use them. My guess is that you don’t. Maybe you do but I bet you’re not up to speed. There must be something wrong because you’re not saving time and energy and making more money.

I bet you’re a great window cleaner. Really! I’m not trying to throw mud because you like extension ladders.

I want to see a sectional in use on a job for 3-4 windows. Inside / and or Outsite

Why?

Anytime you want me to come up and show you how to use them, just say the word.

I don’t see why it is an either ,or, debate. I have both and use each for whatever I find them useful for.
If it had to come down to a choice between sectionals or extensions (below 30ft) then there are things I can do with a sectional that I could not do with an extension, but I can’t think of anything I can do with an extension that I could not do with a sectional.

1 Like

Seth,

are you in maryland?

If so Hollaa

See efficiency in action.

Mike Why are you so hot on this subject?

For me it’s not an either/or, but I do use extensions much more than sectionals. My choice really boils down to two factors.

I can’t tell you how many times I’ve used my sectionals and I’ve been off by just inches in height from placing the ladder exactly where I want it. This is my biggest peeve with sectionals. So I either have to add a section/drop a section, which usually puts me in an awkward position to work. Or I have to move the ladder away from the exact spot I want to work; again, putting me in an awkward position in relation to the window. With an extension ladder, I can almost always get it right where I want it by either moving it up and down or moving the feet around.

The other reason why I prefer extension ladders is because they have standoffs. And I know they make them for sectionals too, but that just makes them even more awkward to use. If I have 2 or 3 windows in a cluster to clean on the 2nd floor, I can usually get all of them in one setup. Usually, there’s no place between the windows to place the top of a sectional ladder so I either have to put the ladder top below them or above them. If I’m below the windows, the top outside corners are almost impossible to reach and I’m breaking my back leaning away from the house. If I’m above the windows, I’ve got the ladder in the way which makes it harder to scrub, scrape, and squeegee. Plus, the pointed top means I’ve got less real estate to work from, shortening my reach side to side. With an extension ladder, I can usually set up just underneath the window with my hips resting at the top and both of my hands are free to work. And sometimes I’m lucky enough to have the double rung for a fat ol’ perch.

I am. Right near the DC line. You’re a little over two hours from me. I’d be happy to drive up one day and show you some sectionals and hang for a bit. PM me whenevs.

Rob, Do you have a V groove on your top section? The greatest benefit of sectionals, I think, is their versatility. So much more than extensions.

I do. And they ARE versatile. Unfortunately, it’s with the day to day stuff they fall short.

Hey Rob,
I find your comments amusing because I only carry one ladder on my truck. It’s a sectional. It’s the ONLY ladder I need. Oh… almost forgot to mention my 2 foot step ladder. I have never had a single window I couldn’t reach with my sectional below 29 feet. Something is wrong in your understanding in how we use sectionals as professional window cleaners. In 15 years I have NEVER said to myself I wish I had an extension ladder for windows under 29 feet.

Does your set have a 4 foot HALF piece?

Sectionals are almost impossible to work with efficiently without that half piece.

Once again your comments make absolutely no sense to me, Rob. Are you sure you have a sectional ladder? Something doesn’t make sense. Ha Ha

Hey Rob,
How can that be? You only need about 2-3 inches of window frame to place the top edge of one of your rails against. Do you have frameless windows in your part of the country?

Yes, but usually it’s off by less than 2 feet.

We have windows that are close enough that the ladder either must rest on the sash frame (a no no, unless you want to end up on the kitchen table) or on the side jamb. Many times the side jamb between the two windows is no thicker than an inch. And the v-top will cut the wood (you can’t turn it around because then the rails will be on the side jambs.

Again, sectionals work, but I think extensions are better. We just disagree on this. That’s fine.

I guess I think sectional ladders are the best kept secret in the window cleaning industry. They save TIME and ENERGY so window cleaners can make more money. It’s not a theory it’s a fact. That’s why people pay close to a thousand dollars for a full set.

I guess I get upset when people who do not know how to work with them efficiently blame the ladder. They get on the internet and tell everybody sectionals are no good.

To repeat myself if you’re not saving time and energy you don’t know how to use the ladder the way professionals have been using them for many decades.

Mike: You did it again (posting condescending statements directed at another.

Jay didn’t take your post(s) the wrong way (I am in agreement with Jay.) Your words are the issue.

Rob,
Sounds like you’re not using a ladder bonnet to protect wood from damage.

Thanks Larry,
Your right my comments do sound conescending. Sorry about that. Rob and Jay both know more about window cleaning than I do. I’ve read many of their posts. I’m glad I don’t have to pay Jay for all I’ve learned from him on this forum. I DO NOT think I’m better than either one of them. Don’t mean to put anybody down.

I wish someone would make a sectional ladder video so people could see what I’m talking about. The learning curve for using sectionals is pretty long and I think people are kicking them to the curb before they really know how to work efficiently with them. I guess I’m getting frustrated.

Sorry Jay and Rob. Don’t mean to offend. I respect both of you.