Dont' ever give up!

Hey guys (and girls):

Quite a few times on this message board, I’ve been charged with answering the question of how not to be demoralized by repeatedly hearing no from prospective clients. I try not to let anyone turning me away without hearing me out get me down but I have to be honest that it does get me down on occasion and those who feel this way are in the right. It can shatter your ego. And this week for me has been one of those weeks. (Side note I had a banging week last week in Rain Flow sales so I’m not complaining about the money.) It has just been almost a full week of being turned away from every prospect I approached. And tomorrow being Friday really had me questioning myself and asking, “What am I doing wrong?” and “How can I get myself out of this slump?”

My answer to most people is to just keep trying and put everything behind you and keep plugging away like every sales call is that first of the day. I know this can be a difficult task at times but that’s really what it takes to be successful at this game and to come out ahead.

Getting to my point, today was probably the worst day of the week. It was the first day in a while that I could really devote most of the day to commercial storefront sales and it was more of the same. Not interested, already have a service (some clearly did not), can’t afford right now, business too slow, and so on.

Making my way back to the office, I was full on accepting that today was another failing day and would just have to get back on my feet and try again tomorrow. Then I had a thought. Right down from our office is a small photography studio where the owner is very difficult to get a hold of. I’ve been trying to track this gentleman down for about three months now, to no avail. I’ve left cards, fliers, post it’s with prices, full estimates and nothing. I decided to swing by and low and behold the open sign was lit up. Here was my last ditch effort to turn this day, and week for that matter, around or put the final nail in the coffin. I walked in and asked for Anthony, the owner, and finally it was actually him. I made my sales pitch and he was very eager to get on board with us and use our service. He’s just so busy, it was difficult for him to remember to make the call and he thanked me for my persistence.

This completely made my week. This one small $20 monthly account absolutely made my week. Any dark thoughts or doubts I was having about myself and my work were completely blown away. Moral of the story, don’t give up and always keep plugging away. Don’t be bothered by persistent no’s and being turned away without being listened to. I could have just passed this by and come back to the office and called it a day. And it would have been easy because of the lousy week I was having. But instead, I made a quick 15 minute stop, put my best foot forward and walked away with a small victory in my pocket. So always keep trying and remember sometimes it takes an unimaginable amount of no’s to finally get that one yes. But when you do, no matter how small of an accomplishment it might seem to others, it makes it that much more rewarding for you.

Just thought I’d share. Thanks for reading.

Good post bro. It’s true, persistence is key.

There’s times where you make no headway, and other times when you got the midas touch. Sometimes I have had times where I don’t even know why I’m going back again and again, or calling again and again to get a decision, and that time the person says that they appreciate you calling and agree to your services.

Keep believing in yourself Sean!

Inspiring.

Thanks for the inspirational post Sean. My small company does window cleaning (of course will all the add ons) and office janitorial whether on contractual basis or spot cleaning.

I can relate to your situation as I am a 1st year business in the state of Maryland. I had previously come to know what having an established business was like in Nebraska and so making cold calls and having people roll their eyes at me as I use yet another sales technique to get in the door is very frustrating to say the least.

There are so many techniques to use in approaching a possible customer that it would be useless to attempt to explain some of them. What works for me now and worked for me back then is to always make sure I know something pertinent about the company I am approaching. To bring that “breath of fresh air” perspective to the table. And to not only hope to bring the image but to be 100% honest in my dealings with people.

I never offer services that I know I can’t deliver. I try and not make promises other than the fact that I will be responsive and the service will be as described. I find that too often companies lose out because they “glamourize” their services too much. There is nothing magical about cleaning windows or doing office janitorial. Obviously establishing rapport is something that is vital to sales. Fact is, some can, some can’t. Not everyone has the ability to make others feel good about something. Sounds like you have that ability Sean and I’m sure that All County is greatful to have your services.

Thanks for responding and for the kind words guys!

I’m glad you (and hope others) appreciate the post!

good post.

I about went home the other day when all I kept hearing was “no, we have someone” or “no thanks we do them”.

After some time of this, I headed to the car knowing I had time to hit at least 5-7 more stores before busy time. As I opened the door I kinda got mad at myself and turned around and made myself finish the plaza strip…long story short, 2 stores wanted our services and are contacting corporate for the go and one is getting the OK from district.

So yeah, persistence is key. It’s hard selling a “luxury” service…because our service is not necessary for them. Cutting grass is necessary, but getting them to #1 like you, #2 like your company and service your trying to offer, and #3 making them feel that this is a “luxuries necessity”.

Why don’t you ask your current customers straight out if they could recommend anyone that needs a cleaning service? Referrals work for me & you have an excuse to go see them - because Bob at the bed shop said you needed someone. It gets the foot in the door at least without truly being a cold call. Not everyone will recommend, but the ones that do, usually work. Use your current database to expand.
…off to suck some eggs.

It’s always good to push yourself to talk to the other stores in the plaza. Often we get lazy, myself included, and don’t push ourselves to speak to other stores.

However, I would disagree that window cleaning store windows are a luxury. Would you consider cleaning the floor a luxury, or having clean bathrooms a luxury? Having clean windows is a necessity. In order to effectively sell the service, you have to believe yourself that the customer needs it.

Problem is most customers can’t do the windows well, are too busy/lazy to do it or send an employee to do it.

Window cleaning store windows is not a luxury. It’s a necessity.

I would have to agree.

I also find referrals effective, moments after, the customer is amazed at how clean the windows are after you have cleaned them. One customer called another prospect for me, another bragged to the district manager about me, referrals are great.

when’s the last time you wouldn’t eat at a restaurant because the windows were dirty, or you refused to visit a clothing store because the windows were dirty??? Never have, and people never will.

Don’t kid yourself bro…it’s a luxury. We as Salesmen have to sell necessity, but they could have their employees doing it during slow hours.

I understand were you’re coming from but it doesn’t change the fact that if they didn’t clean the windows, sales would drop…

I think once you understand that, you can build a mentality of “necessity” around your selling. Hopeful and wishful thinking doesn’t make sales.

So, sure it’s a necessity to us to sell to them. you don’t need a BMW, you’re honda is doing the job fine, but buddy-boy that BMW would sure feel and look great. It’s a luxury to have. But the salesman will build a feeling of necessity to have luxury.

It’s a necessity in that someone has to clean the windows. Sure mildly dirty windows no one will notice, but when they get filthy people will notice, and they might starting things like clean me on the windows. Definitely not the image you want to portray. Sure, before I was a window cleaner, I didn’t really notice mildly dirty windows, but I noticed filthy ones. Most business owners (I know there are exceptions) realize that the windows need to be cleaned, the floors and the bathrooms need to be cleaned. Obviously people will notice a dirty bathroom first, but eventually when the windows get dirty enough customers will notice.

Window cleaning is a necessity. For example, It’s not like going to the spa or something, where (for a women usually) it feels good to be pampered, but there really is no neccessity for it, she can do without the pampering.

Someone has to clean the windows. Fortunately for us, the employees are either too busy, too lazy, or do a horrible job. So often we get the job. There is some salesmanship involved, but I definetely never view window cleaning as a luxury.

Please enlighten me why it is a “necessity” for windows to get cleaned in detail besides the obvious selling point.
:wink:

Grass grows, someone has to cut it. Why??? Because if ya don’t and let it grow wild you’ll get a nice notice from the city.
Windows get dirty, someone has to clean it. But what happens you no one does…nothing.

I’d say 75% are like this:
#1 there is always a slow time in any business day
#2 The managers don’t care if the employee are lazy to clean the windows, they just want it done
#3 If they do a horrible job they’ll make someone else do it.

Fortunately for us these same “busy, lazy or horrible job” employees don’t make the rules…and the majority of the time the managers don’t either. If corporate wants to cut down costs; lazy horrible job employees will work just fine.

Most of the times when cold calling good size places, this is the fight you walk into. Lazy half butt employees with managers that don’t have the final say because Corp. is on lock down.

I actually don’t eat at places if the windows are dirty. If the windows are dirty - hows the kitchen gonna be! If they can’t afford to spend some time getting the image right - they aren’t gonna be bothered about cleaning up a kitchen the public doesn’t see.
I’ve actually walked in to places & walked out within a few minutes - & told them this. If they ever challenge me - I’ll ask to see the kitchen :smiley:

this is coming from a classy window cleaner, not a typical consumer.

My opinion is that window cleaning leans more towards the luxury side (perhaps there is a spectrum, rather than just strict luxury or necessity)

That being said, I think we all have customers who VIEW this luxury as a necessity. does that make sense?

BMW’s are a luxury, but there are certain types of people that wouldn’t be caught dead driving something like a kia, right?

IMO, and in very general terms, it’s a necessity in a retail/professional office/restaurant setting, and a luxury in a residential setting.

Well put Larry and accurate.

the Cel Phone is a good example of something that is a luxury but viewed by many as a necessity.

the point is most of the points brought up is that someone cleaned the windows, the windows were not left to get filthy. Window cleaning commercial windows has to be cleaned by someone. A good salesman, sells to the customer that the person cleaning the windows should be his company.