Ever have customers tell you how to do the job

Just had a customer sit me down for an hour and tell me how to run my business. She was a crazy old lady. I wouldn’t have gone there but she wouldn’t pay until I spoke with her. Never cleaning her house again

5 Likes

Yikes.

I had a customer give me brief, good advice in the early days. That was nice.

Your experience sounds worse :slight_smile:

Did she suggest you spend more time socializing with homeowners?

4 Likes

My business partner only does hands on work once or twice a week but makes me justify everything, including the route. After 30 years of marriage to my partner I just smile and say “okie dokie” all the time :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

7 Likes

yeah i had an old lady do the same thing when i washed her windows but she took it a step further and started washing her inside windows with a piece of steel you wash pots with all the while telling me this is how you do it.long story short she scratched the tint off her windows and damaged the glass.i laughed and asked her why did she hire me if she was just going to go over every window her way and damage the glass?

3 Likes

That’s awesome she ruined her windows haha

yeah and she insisted even after i told her not to do that because it was gonna damage the windows

1 Like

i had someone try tell me how to install a retractable screen door which i have been doing for 15 years. i old them “the door is $499 installed plus tax, if your going to help its $599 plus tax.” that shut him up. also an engineer i hate those over educated doush bags

4 Likes

What exactly did this client say to do?

Gotten lots of feedback/ideas/advice over the years

Dumbest thing was to be apart of a pyramid like thing which we would have become travel agents. “You are in their home you will hear about their plans” I can remember her saying.

1 Like

Oh, man, these are the worst. People who get involved in MLM aka pyramid schemes seem to become increasingly desperate in when and to whom they try to sell their mistake.

I’ve had a couple of customers try to sell me on their MLM stuff. I just tell them up front I’m happy with where my business is and I’m not looking for any other “business opportunities”. I have a hunch that at least one customer hired me for a small one-time snow removal job, just so she could pitch her scheme. Ouch… :expressionless:

6 Likes

Hahaha…yes they are the worst! I had a client that engineered this system to block out the sun on two big trapezoid windows; using a vac/blower. When the sun came out it would blow tiny styrofoam pellets in between the panes. Then it would suck it back to the container after sunset. It had quit working for years. Last spring when I wasn’t busy I agreed to remove those pellets; what a mess.

He’s wife told me all she wanted was some blackout curtains.

6 Likes

That is stinking hilarious. My wife thinks she has it bad with my ‘innovations’. She’s fortunate I didn’t go into engineering instead of this :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

2 Likes

I haven’t really had anyone tell me how to clean windows. But for some reason people alway ask if I need a ladder or squeegee or towels. I say no thank I have everything thing need to clean up to 3 stories thanks for offering. But what really want to say is why would you hire me if I didn’t have my own shit to clean your windows.

4 Likes

Daveyogi She told me to fire two of my great employees because they didn’t do it how she wanted it done. Her Windows looked amazing but it wasn’t her way.

1 Like

Wow. That’s bold. I would have had a hard time maintaining my composure.

If someone has a problem with the way your employees did something, they shouldn’t be suggesting you fire them. I’d be so tempted to tell them off and say, “well, these have been really good employees, who do great work. I’ve found it’s much better for my business to fire bad customers than good employees… Have a nice day :expressionless:

And the response I would hope to give if I managed to keep my cool, would be to try and lead her with carefully chosen questions to reach that conclusion on her own…

2 Likes

Had that two by web designers

1 Like

We are finally in position of where crew is more valuable than a single clients

In reality I would have kept it cool and professional but would have been great to turn the table and fire her

1 Like