Fabrication debris doesn't exist

I always point out any scratches I see on the glass when I give an estimate. Most of these potential customers tell me they are already aware of the existing scratches.

I take great care in cleaning the windows. I only use a 1” razor blade to take off small paint specks here and there. This has worked well.

Hope this helps anyone out there.

5 Likes

My takeaway in light of this position is, these associations need to clearly communicate with builders, general contractors, and the various trades that they need to properly cover windows to protect them during the building process. And if the masonry contractor gets concrete on the glass, the masonry contractor can get it off. Or better yet, there needs to be an industry standard that window manufacturers supply their products protected, and then supply exact directions how to safely remove the protective coverings.

2 Likes

@windowsrx said it well, I have found while doing a bid, commercial, residential or new construction that is a huge selling point to quickly do a visual inspection of those tempered locations.

By bringing these to the customers attention before you have done any work will do many things which benefit you. Show your attention to detail, experience, knowledge and protects you from potential blame when job is completed and the now clean windows show the scratches even better being clean. Alao tell what can be done to elimate the potential for scratches.

Fact is, we know scratches are common and can be avoided in most cases. I dont care who did what but I will do my best to protect the surfaces while I clean them.

I dont even need to know what is the cause, being the glass company, cleaner or stucco guy. I do know if I swipe a tempered window with my scraper then the scratch appears. My responsibility is to not scrape and simply avoid any issue.

Thanks @anon46335951. I always try to put myself in the potential customer’s shoes. I know I would appreciate it if someone took the time to do a visual inspection of those tempered locations while giving me an estimate. And if they notice anything, they bring it to my attention.

I have never had anyone get mad because I pointed out some scratches. They appreciate me taking the time to bring it to their attention.

2 Likes

This is a very important point. Many times you don’t notice minute scratches because of dust and dirt.

2 Likes

Blockquote[quote=“jhans, post:124, topic:46286”]
Fact is, we know scratches are common and can be avoided in most cases.
[/quote]

So untrue especially if they are tempered and have sealant baked on, mortar, paint, stucco etc. You simply cannot guarantee that without misinforming. That’s pc?

Blockquote[quote=“jhans, post:124, topic:46286”]
I do know if I swipe a tempered window with my scraper then the scratch appears. My responsibility is to not scrape and simply avoid any issue.
[/quote]

Not a bad method, terrible advice for someone new to ccu.

With CCU you get paid to clean up after other trades.

You are a lazy window cleaner if you do not want to find alternative methods for certain types of glass that will not leave damage.

You claim to be an experienced window cleaner and are probably good at what you do. By your posts I believe you are set in your ways, no room to budge, no other thoughts can get to you. People here all have a wide variety of methods and ideas. The most common factors between them is they want to learn, teach and they’re willing to listen, even when they don’t have the same opinions.

2 Likes

Reminds me of a saying in the army. There are two types of privates or in this case window cleaners smart, or according to you lazy. And the second is strong, or according to you hard working. I believe you have stupid confused with hard working.

So if you’ve found these methods please explain, They do not exist. You can not guarantee there will be no scratches or you call it damage.

I’d like to see the look on your face when you scratch a window or your employees do and you have to explain that you’re a liar. Better to be honest and say, “Hi, there shouldn’t be that on the windows, we’ll do the best we can, hopefully no scratches but only a liar or a fool would promise that with that dried on stucco and dried on mortar and dried on stone sealant on that tempered glass”.

Since I havn’t had to explain this in 25 years I believe I am on the right path.

For you, I may have given you too much credit. This conversation just isnt going anywhere.

Good luck.

1 Like

Keep your expectations low to avoid disappointment. That may be a good marketing campaign.

1 Like

There is a slow, but definite shift in this country toward releasing corporations from liability regarding anything, placing all blame on the consumer. Like how you hear “Opiod abuse can lead to addiction.” instead of ‘ANY use of opiods, whether illegal or prescribed, can cause addiction.’

This all sounds like just another manifestation of that.

1 Like

Technically taking as recommended for short period is not harmful.

Its longterm use or unprescribed use causes the addition.

In your example the blame is both user and Dr who prescribes outside of how it was designed.

Why should the manufacturer be held accountable when thier product is used outside of their guidelines or recommendations.

1 Like

When cars kill people, do blame chevrolet, no.

When a gun kills someone do you blame Smith and Wesson, yes.

Why the difference? The person in control caused the problem in both.

This is where you lost me…

A gun handled competently, kills, as it is designed to do.
A car handled competently, does not kill, as it is designed to do.

This is not a pro-or-against guns rant. It’s an attempt to keep one issue separate from another.

Much truth in that there is.

Actually, a car can be handled competently to kill also. A gun competently handled wins shooting competitions, as it was designed to. Just saying.

Fair enough, however in either of these instances, that is not what the car/gun was designed to do. I don’t have a gun for hunting paper targets, nor do I have a car for running down pedestrians (I was raised to eat what I kill).

Haven’t been following this thread close enough. It has become phenomenal in only a few days. LoveGlass mentioned something interesting about the manufacturers coming up with a film to protect glass which could be pealed off once construction was complete. I do remember seeing such a product a few times over the years. It would be worth while looking into. But we can still make money off applying a product like WindOCoat from General Chemical. There is much research to do. This can only separate us from the masses if we move ahead with a determined positive attitude. For one I have always enjoyed a moment to get technical with a customer so they don’t think we are all a group if ignorant fools. I don’t operate on brains, but I do clean windows. Just attempting to be funny.

Henry