Fan Jets vs Pencil Jets and How Much Pressure?

I find that most of the glass that I clean is hydrophobic. It seems to be a pain to rinse thoroughly with pencil jets. Am I just whining or should I buy some fan jets for the nylon brush that came with my Gardiner pole?

I am also puzzled about the pressure. I have a pump box that I bought from WCR. I usually set it to about 30 or 35. The range is 0-100. I understand that I need to keep the pressure down to prevent spotting. But I just watched a video of a guy cleaning triple over single DH in about 1 minute each. He seemed to have pretty good flow too. It would take me several minutes for me to clean the same windows for them to come out spot free. What am I doing wrong that is causing me to take so long per window. I am basically working at the same speed or slower than using traditional “nose to the glass” method.

I know that this is a really gangsta way of doing it, but I eyeball the stream to get it to where I like it.

With pencil jets, its when the water shoots about 2-3 feet from the brush when at perpendicular to the ground. I don’t really use my fan jets, I just don’t the feel of them.

Can you take a vid of what you’re doing and post it?

I use a small flojet 42psi and rinse on with ott jets in a side to side action. Here it is at 88ft with a swivel head brush.

1 Like

Jeff Brimble the master wfp man. He uses a hudson backpack at 88 ft awesome. This guy knows his stuff. His brush design is awesome. Jeff is right, you do not need lots of waterflow and you can rinse with brush on the glass. You are new to using the wfp and just like a squeegee it will come with practice. Pencil jets will work on hydrophobic just make sure you cover all the glass as the water like to stay away from the sides. And by the way that wfp at 88 ft is Jeffs design and no one has match him working that high up. Modular pole. Also Jeff anyway I can get some of your magic formula that changes the glass to hydrophilic

That gives me food for thought. I like the idea of more than 2 jets. I think I’ll add 2 to my setup. Well it does make sense to have the jets above the brush. I wonder why the manufacturers don’t make the brushes like that from the get go.

1 Like

I will answer that question from a manufacture point of view. Jeff uses a backpack so water flow is low. Most wcers use city water pressure or pumps so these type jets are for sprinkler systems and may not handle the high psi. Jeff will correct me if I am wrong. The new brushes now have dual jets so you could run both the fan and pencil at the same time. Also with jets above the brush you run the risk of wetting the top frame under high psi. Jeffs design is very cool. You should see his rain water machine

Thank you for the kind comments John, I will email you.

Jeff, how many feet long is that pole?

88ft 2 " actual pole length, on a paying job, that was “not set up” in Sheffield UK.

I know this is an old post, but I would really love to find out about this “magic formula”…Could I get some info please?

Sent from my iPhone using Window Cleaning Resource

I have found that a 5 second squirt of Ecover in my 110 gallon tank helps prevent hydrophobia.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Window Cleaning Resource mobile app

Nice to know. Thanks for the info! Seems like Ecover is good for A LOT of different things.

Yep, it will add a couple/tds but suds up and leaves no noticeable spotting in my experience.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Window Cleaning Resource mobile app

I still have a small bottle of Jeff’s majic potion. It is not Ecover. I have very little problem with hydrophobic glass using 4 jets on 11 inch brush.

So do you know what’s in the magic potion or where I can get some?

Hi Jeff, where can I find some of your magic potion? I’d love to try it on some hydrophobic glass!
Thanks.
Allen
WagnerWindowWashing.com

What kind of ecover? Dish detergent? Rinse aid? I’d like to try this on some hydrophobic glass.
Thanks.
Allen
WagnerWindowWashing.com