First CCU

I know its easier using scrapers, but really its all about what the super on the job says about it. If they bring up weather or not I can keep the glass scratch free, thats my opportunity to give them a choice.

If we use scrapers, we can cut time in less than half it would be to use steel wool and oil flow or goof off and steel wool.

If we use scrapers there is a higher chance we come across fab debris and/or one of us screws the pooch and scratchs a pane.

If we use the other method, the chances are far less that we screw up. I’ve scratched the crap outta glass with steel wool before too! Bad glass.

Scrapers its cheaper for them, the other way not so much.

It’s not that I favor it, it’s simply another option for the prime. If they’ve been around a while they will already know what they want. If they’re jaded and dead set on the cheapest price, thats fine too but after that conversation and the waiver they’re about to sign, they’ve been warned.

With that, tho, I will tell them that if we scratch the glass they’ll know it and so will we. Only use up or down, or side to side motions, this way if its scratched by us it gives it away.

If we see a scratch made by us, we stop and get with the foreman and let him know whats up and that things need to change or they’re all going to look like that. Then the contract changes.

If theres a gouge or scratchs already present, after the window is cleaned we take a white board marker in black and circle them.

Then we note it on our progress report, that acts as a sign off sheet for each unit or area or floor that is completed, because you know how CCU’s are with all the trades walking over each others’ work, sometimes you’re asked to do areas ten times and only get paid for cleaning it once. I don’t roll like that. After sign off and inspection, any additional cleaning is just that, additional.

Just a side note tho-
When doing a QC check, I do bring a couple rags and some steel wool to get rid of streaks. The work perfectly.

4 Likes