Fish Teaches What Not To Do

I’m not trying to bust your chops Paul just stimulate discussion.

The Fish I worked for went along with what Fish actually teaches. Cleaners easily made $12 an hour once they knew what they were doing, it was a percentage so the faster you got the more work in one day you could do which = more money.

Tony,
What I meant by “walks the walk” is that you can count on them to do what they say. The Merrick family are completely involved and their values are an integral part of how the system is designed. The mission statement is not just pretty words but what they truly strive to do. If you ever have the opportunity to speak with any of them, I suggest that you do. It will clarify this point completely.
There are checks and balances in place to ensure that all franchisees are following the system. Fish employs District Managers to assist the franchisees with anything you could think of. There are standards that we are all supposed to follow. Problem is, you can’t watch everybody all the time, nor should you have to. The problem begins when a franchisee starts ignoring the system to do things “his” way. (I always thought this was stupid. Why would you pay for a system and support only to do things a different way?) What starts out as determination and persistence gives way to stubborness and refusal to listen. They get a little knowledge/success and right away they know better. Sort of like teenagers. No, a LOT like teenagers. Anyway, most of us franchisees wish there could be swifter justice so we could avoid the horror stories we have been hearing on this forum because that doesn’t add value to my business, it reduces it’s value. I don’t like it when someone hurts the value of my business because it could affect my family. I [U]really [/U]don’t like that. I’m fully capable of making my own mistakes, I don’t need some other bozos out there doing it for me and ruining my reputation. The contract that we sign when we purchase the franchise is pretty strict towards following the system. If you are found to be lacking in any area, they give you an opportunity to redeem yourself and correct the situation. If you continue to blow them off, you could have your franchise revoked and lose your entire investment. But don’t misunderstand, they aren’t watching over every move ready to slap you on the wrists. They do allow for some creativity as long as you work with them on your ideas. It’s definitely a team effort over there. Definitely good people to work with.

Perhaps a hotline for reporting problems would be helpful. I know you might get the generic “I’m not happy you’re in my area” responses but it could urge the slackers to stay on task.

oh, no busted chops. I see this guys point of view, but I don’t care if it ever happens.

I feel where you’re coming from big guy!:wink:

Don,
Let me first say I respect you for standing up for what you believe in. Secondly, you’ve shed some positive light on Fish Window Cleaning.
Third, thank you for your compliments towards me.
Fourth, I’m a one man operation…because I just haven’t achieved more…yet. I’m shooting for multiple crews…and eventually statewide…and even multi state…perhaps even national like Fish.

I ask that you please look at my original post on this. I didn’t state “Fish is this” or “Fish is that”. I made 4 statements. The first 2 I qualified by saying “generally…”. The last 2, which referenced royalty payments and employee pay, I believed to be fact, from research I’d done.
Finally, I qualified the whole post at the end by saying “JMHO”…Just My Humble Opinion.
I’d never state as fact that any group was all this or all that.

Also, I hope that this forum isn’t divided as you suggested. I’d like to learn from the big boys.

Lastly, I want to commend you for posting more in this thread than I’ve seen from all other Fish owners combined…and I’ve been networked for 3 years…a year and a half here, and 3 on WCN.

A distinct subforum (or subforums) with pertinent subject lines could assist. (Of course, pertinent subject could always assist…)

Otherwise, it’s akin to censorship.

Yeah – I know that I’m guilty of hijacking threads and participating in ratholes…

If I did it was unintended.

Right Paul?

I just wanted to jump in on this so just maybe my website will jump in rank being linked to a discussion about Fish Window Cleaning :slight_smile:

Ha ha ha ha ha … every little bit helps.

I worked for Fish Window Cleaning Peoria, IL for almost 5 years. The franchisee is very successful, for now. Since then I have my own company. I see a lot of what you guys are saying is TRUE, about fish. When I first started cleaning windows for Fish, I didn’t know a thing about the industry. After the first year or so, I considered myself one of the best, most efficient window cleaners in this city. I was very proud to be a part of Fish, however, as the years went on things went downhill. I learned more about the shady business that went on w/in the franchise. Never did I get any benefits, tho I made 40000 plus a year. Good money, but when you figure your gas reimbursment for 2 weeks was at most $30 to $40,(on a BIG check) and you used your own vehicle, what a rip off. On average you recieved about $24 every 2 weeks for reimbursment. And what kind of company makes you buy your own shirts, jackets, clothing, etc., but also makes you return them when you leave the company with no return of your money? Because they’re “old and worn out.”? What a rip off. And what kind of company makes their employees pay their franchise fees? He would take out a mysterious “8%” that he would tell you about if asked but you’d never see it on your check. Once again, RIP OFF. I literally heard him tell a displeased customer to “pound sand” because he had “plenty of other clients”. Now I understand that not all Fish franchises are the same, and he has a lot of business. But how can you promise customers you drug test your employees, but yet never run a background check? And I know of employees of his that do drugs everyday!!! I learned a lot of what to do, but more of what not to do.

[COLOR=“#4b0082”][SIZE=“3”][B]Yo Advanced that my business name also…I’m Dange…

What we should do with phish is what you see in the picture…
[/B][/SIZE][/COLOR]

[SIZE=“3”][COLOR=“#4b0082”]Then Eat Them…[/COLOR][/SIZE]

[SIZE=“3”][COLOR=“#4b0082”]Dangerous Dave / Advanced Window Cleaning Service[/COLOR][/SIZE]

Dange - I’ve seen that picture before (two guys holding fish) where did you get it and why have I seen it before. Are you the guy in the yellow or something? :slight_smile:

Hey Justin…

Nope that’s not me but I shore wish I was standing in his place ! I got the pic on line, when I can’t get on the water or at the rivers edge I do magazine or internet phishing ! That’s the next best thing !

Dange

LOL Well FYI- I’m on my way to eating them up and having leftovers tomorrow!!! I am solely in business for me and my partners benefit, but any business I can steal from them I can assure I won’t pass up; even if a couple may be a LITTLE underbid… Glad to see some agree.

You think the customers you Steal are going to be loyal to you? Not the foundation I’d want my business built on.

EDIT: I read your post wrong. I thought you were setting out to steal everybody and anybody’s customers. I have to change my stance. If Fish is who you’re going after - Go get em :slight_smile: If you need some help with your pitch or anything, I will give my full contribution to this cause.

Sorry for the misunderstanding…

Welcome to the best online education you can get!

What’s wrong with old people?

Too many of them today are acting like young people.

HaHa. Can’t argue with that.