Glass Chemistry

Is anyone on here interested in glass chemistry? Also if you are of what advantage would this be to you?

Henry

1 Like

Definitely interested. Previously working in the carpet stain removal and flood restoration, knowing chemistry of carpet and things made our company experts in the community. This is same in window cleaning and restoration. People will come to the expert, the expert will get the work.

1 Like

I’m interested in novel applications of glass and mirrors which may be broader than what you mean but it does involve understanding how those materials and light work together.

1 Like

I agree with you Baron! And Fenster you brought up a very good point. In that light must pass through a window. Otherwise it isn’t practical. If the surface is damaged either by etching or micro-scratching, there is a problem. Mirrors are interesting in that they have two reflections. This will accent any damage to the surface we can touch. Which is why most find mirror cleaning difficult. You see everything on a mirror. Especially in bright light.

I will be writing some posts on glass chemistry in the Glass Smart Blog. Which is how I learn.

Henry

2 Likes

Novel applications. Definitely. This is what I am getting into with the Glass Smart Product Development Youtube Channel. Hoping Chris and Alex pickup some of the new products I have been discovering for “novel applications”. There are many products out there. I mean the latest mineral deposit remover was my biggest surprise. Also a SAM hydrophobe that doubles as a scratch protector. Crazy stuff. And now that I am working with the new Glass Committee on this kind of technology some of these things will be coming at you.

Henry

1 Like

I keep coming back to mirrors being used to bounce light into fibre optics. The fibre optics go into luminaires - daylight for interiors of houses. There are a few companies that offer this product but the market is very small and the cost is very high. I’m interested in it because it looks cool. The pay off is in your health - the daylight regulation of sleep cycles is likely to benefit the brain.

Mirrors are interesting as concept, mirrors have this interesting feature - they are taken for normal everyday objects but because they have the property of being interpreted as portals they may be used as information interfaces. Have you seen the magic mirrors?

I’m interested, as I’m sure most/many are…
But a lot of times, these posts don’t really give us a “teaser” to pique our interest.

Honestly, I started to post more, but kind of got disinterested…

Maybe I shouldn’t have said anything… ?
But Id rather see more attention to the topic

… rather than seeing a bunch of ignores.

Hi J,

What is it that you are interested in?

Henry