Hardwater

Hi guys. Lately I have come across a lot of what I think are hard water stains. What I need is someone to explain hard water to me; what it is, how it destroys the surface of glass, what it looks like, how to fix it, how much to charge for fixing it etc.
The reason I ask is that I have a really juicy resi client whose windows have been wrecked by what I think is hard water. This guy wouldn’t blink at paying many thousands to have it repaired, plus it pays to be educated anyway.
Thanks heaps

Hard water stains are actually from different minerals that are left behind when water dries on the glass. Depending on location and source of the water the mineral content can vary. If left long enough certain minerals can etch into the glass and then only a scratch removal system can fix it. There are a number of hard water removers out there. I’d get a few and try them. I would highly recommend looking into Safe Restore. Some guys use CC550 but I’d only use it as a last resort. If using something that powerful you want to be aware of tin etch haze.
This is a problem because in the US we have only float glass. That means the glass comes out of the oven and floats on a layer of tin/zinc. Some of this stays on that side of the glass. Hydroflouric acid (CC550) will etch and leave the surface damaged. You can tell the tin side of glass w/ a UV light. It will show up kind of gray. Sorry to be so long winded. Hope this helps.

Great info Tony, and well explained.

Porkie, I’d follow Tony’s advice, chemical restoration first, if no luck, mechanical restoration.
I’m not good at categorizing things, but you get the idea :slight_smile:

No you’re not.

Am so!:stuck_out_tongue:

Not sorry about the long or the winded part?

I feel you should apologize to the group for not being sure what you are sorry for.

all too often we offer meaningless apologies for the very thing we should be grateful for having. Then again, we skip out on delivering a true amendment for the thing we feel should have been over looked by the ‘touchy’. When in fact, the thing we over looked is the thing others focused on. Now, THAT is really what we need be sorry for. do you not agree?

Sure, why not.:wink:

Brian has the topic pretty well covered on his site. About 1/2 way down the page.

http://www.gp-up.com/Window%20Cleaning.htm#Screen%20Cleaning

Apologies accepted Phil ! :slight_smile:

Be careful with SafeRestore. It’s name can be misleading. It’s still a powerful chemical and can damage glass. I’d suggest a spot test on each pane in the corner. Make sure you follow all the directions.

Maybe an upcoming Tool Talk video could feature the proper use of SafeRestore?

Thanks for the link Jugg! Good stuff there Mr. Welker!

How does SafeRestore damage glass?

Awesome advice.

Hydrochloric acid (commonly called muriatic acid) is a mineral acid yes? And although it is not as brutal as hydrofloric acid, it still creates serious risk to metals. Namely, frames.

Normal glass can handle this acid. Glass can handle damn near any acid. The stuff IN the glass is the issue with hydroFLORic…the stuff ON the glass is the issue with ANY acid. But organic acids cause less risk in short bursts.

Todays windows may have one of a dozen different applications AFTER manufacturing the pane…tints…colors…reflective coatings etc. ANY acid give cause for concern on these applications. The top acids to be concerned about are mineral acids as mentioned above.

Further, and this is something will all-too-often over look; mineral acids do NOT break down easy nor often…sometimes never…in OUR bodies. Yet, they are absorbed through use. Unprotected hands will absorb these killer chemicals. Our eyes, nose and skin…we breath the fumes…

OSHA would have a fit if they knew, really knew, what is doen with these ‘cleaners’.

If anyone decides to use any of these acids…treat the chemical as if IT wants to kill you. Because it does. And…it very easily can.

yes…it is a scientific fact. And it does leave a residue.

Oh…
if there is any real interest, I will gladly do a video.

However, if someone else puts one up be sure to include the proper way to use it for safety. PPE and all.

This chemical can be a god-send…it is a true hero maker for certain window/glass types. it can also be a widow maker.

Phil, I’d be very interested in the video. You’re well informed on this subject and I’d love to learn more about it myself. A video would be super!

Nice info fellas, Thanks!

By all means - do the video. I loved you in the feature film “Scrim”. Good stuff!

Matt will return mid week next week. he and I will do one upon his return.

To many, this video will be dull. So I will do it naked to increase activity.

Define activity.

By activity I think he means regurgitation.:eek: