Help building website

what are some good sites or advice for building a website.
I got one started, but it totally sucks and I need some direction. I see the sites that have tools, but layout and java tricks, html, and the like are frying my brain.

www.elitewindowcare.com

Poe?

yep! Are you a musician or artist?

What about reader?

If at all possible try to get someone to do it for you. You can find someone in the midwest to do an amazing one for around a grand. The time it would take an inexperienced person to build a mediocre one would in my opinion counter act anytime savings. it would be much easier for you to make that $ doing what you do “cleaning windows”

I wish I could take my own advise sometimes… I always try doing things myself. If you Google “HTML primers” you can get enough basic info to put something together.

I dont want you to think I am discouraging you from attempting it. I just recall working on my first website for literally 100’s of hours and getting no where.

Yahoo sitebuilder worked great when I started. In fact I don’t get any more business from a “pro” designed site than I got on my own.

I have customers who still say they liked that format much better. The whole site was an extension of me. I am thinking about doing it again… I found it fun.

I would never pay $1000 for a site

In my opinion, it is a great asset learning to build your site yourself. For anyone that knows about optimizing a site for good ranking on Google, one needs to have more control over the content. I do searches every week for “Toronto window cleaning” and when I see my position slipping, I start tweaking my pages. It always helps to bring me back. For the last several months I’ve maintained page one status.

Plus, you may want to run specials from time to time or experiment with other promos. You don’t always want to pay out money to some guy to make a couple of changes if you can do the work yourself.

Man, I envy you. I’m having a hard time with the whole Google thing. I’m there, somewhere on page 1,000,000 and I haven’t been able to bring it up. I did learn some new things while attempting. I learned how to write a sitemap and some other stuff.

But I have google-envy…I just can’t make it…yet.

Chris is right, pay somebody to do it for you,
I paid like $300.00 for mine, you should just clean windows and let the pros do your site for you.just make sure that your tables on your website work with the search engines. So you can get up on the rankings when your website is optimized(SEO).

aka: Search Engine Optimization(SEO)

Crazy, wicked-awesome resource for turn-key web templates: www.monstertemplate.com

Complete web templates from only $65 each. Seriously. An unbelievable deal for someone in your situation, and you can fully edit the source files to your hearts delight.

Chris is right, pay somebody to do it for you,
I paid like $300.00 for mine, you should just clean windows and let the pros do your site for you.just make sure that your tables on your website work with the search engines. So you can get up on the rankings when your website is optimized(SEO).

aka: Search Engine Optimization(SEO)

I am gonna have to try the template route. Unless I land this dealership gig thats in the works, I have to stay in my VERY limited budget. The real bugger is how HOURS slip from my hands just looking at sitebuilder.

I’ve got 1 bizillion hours into our website! and love it. I couldn’t have someone else do it…I make changes weekly.

Maybe someone could build one for me in the future as long as I have the ability to control the content from home.

I make changes weekly.

Ditto. This is why it really is a great idea to do it yourself. You’re gonna need to figure it out eventually, anyway…and the learning curve isn’t too bad.

Get ‘HTML for Dummies’. Awesome book.

Hey we can help if you need some designs.

My Father offers a web design service with 1 year free hosting. Costs £95 (Less than $200)

I think you’d struggle to find a better deal.

His email is [email protected]

I am also trying to build a website on a budget, I’m going to make a sight off one of those templates right now, thank you for sharing that link, those templates are top quality, more than worth the $65 IMO.

I have been working on this site off and on about a month. I’m not very good at it. Please critic it for me, let me know what you like or not.
The Blind cleaning page is not finished yet. I’m going to add a video section on the window and blind page to introduce myself and briefly explain to my client how I will care for their home or business.
Any resources I can use to sweeten it up?
Oh by the way the French engineered squeegee even makes me laugh. You’ll see.

www.clearview-window-cleaning.com

Just remember it’s not where I want it, but its ready for tweaking.

Looks real good Chris…

E-mail address on ‘home’ page and ‘specials’ page not functional.

Logo on home page obviously was designed smaller originally and here it’s all stretched out. Create all your graphics at the max size you plan to use them or greater. Shrinking down and sharpening the images later is easier.

On your quick quote page, your form asks, “When do you need the project completed?” If I were you, I’d put ASAP last. Many people might just leave the selection at the default ASAP and you’ll get overwhelmed unnecessarily.

oh, I don’t do spell checks, that’s llaczko’s job. :wink: