Hey guys need some help! :)

I am just starting out. Had a window cleaning job at the beginning of summer and it was a big one. Used water fed pole on it and place next to it. Bout a $1,200$ For 4 days of work. Since then I got into lawn care and it kind of ruined me because I wasn’t making enough and it took up my time. Now I’m looking into calling hotels and offering window cleaning to bigger places because I own a water fed pole 50 foot.

But I’m also going to try cold calling to get some regular cleaning accounts for the winter. I have about 100 numbers I am going to call next Tuesday. Do you guys have any ideas of what I could say when they answer? I live in the New England area and over here people tend to like you to be to the point and not waste a moment longer of their time than needed. Thank you in advance. :slight_smile:

They will be dental offices by the way. Thanks!

Sorry to break it to you, dental offices are the worst. And $1,200 for 4 days of work is sub-par.

1 Like

Even for regular cleaning?

4 days of work that needed the investment of a 50 foot water fed pole system, brought in $1,200? ($300 per day) then you quit and started mowing lawns? Now the only work you want to do is dental offices?
I think I am missing a bunch of information to even consider helping you.

4 Likes

I’m sorry for making you upset. I’m brand new to this. And I figured that if I had a water fed pole that I would be set. But the jobs never came. And I get it I’ve got to go out there and get them but an opportunity came where I could mow lawns and I would be set for the summer. I took the opportunity and it turned out to be a flop. But now I’m realizing as well that I should have just worked much harder on finding jobs. But now I’m heading into winter and I’ve got to figure out something. Stupid? Yes. I made a pretty bad call. And now I’m trying to figure something out that will work. Maybe even book people into the spring just so that I know I have something for then.

And I will still have the pole system this summer coming up. I won’t be getting rid of it.

You did not upset me.
What you need ask yourself is -

• Am I going to do this as a sideline job?
  • Am I going to only do tall buildings and offices?
  • Am I going to do exterior only and only with a WFP?
  • What other services can I add?

See, the folks on here have all started their own small businesses, in some cases they turned into rather robust businesses. But whichever, you need to decide if you are all in or just something to do for some extra cash. Starting a business takes effort, determination, and if no training or knowledge then you have to do that either first or as you proceed and stumble.
Limiting yourself to only “dental offices in big buildings with a WFP” will sour you on building a business. WFP is not the only tool in arsenal of a window cleaner, but it certainly helps to replace certain ladder jobs and hard to reach windows. Also, you mention WFP like it is all you offer so exterior is all that you offer too. Charge $3 to $5 to clean a pane of glass only one side and there is an additional $3 to $5 to be made on the other side. (Made up numbers, figure what your market can bear). In addition, only store fronts, offices, and commercial, and you are leaving a ton of residential homes out there with dirty windows; they pay better than store fronts. If you choose to add those to your service then most likely you will need traditional window cleaning tools as well and learn how to use them efficiently. Tons of videos on Youtube and the search button on here. Basically you have to take yourself to “Self-Taught-College”. You need to learn what tools you need, what differences in similar tools are and why, and how to use them. You need to know how to present yourself as a professional window cleaner. You need to know how to run your home office and scheduling and bill paying. Yea, not as difficult as running a big business but wearing different hats to get through the work week…Labor - Office Manager - Marketing - Purchasing - Payroll - etc.
Then you are in a winter snowy area I assume by your post, so what to do during that slow period to get work - bills don’t stop and neither should you. Maybe you can add snow blowing, or some other service to hold you over (tighten your belt), Maybe this is where offices and retail stores is your bread & butter. Dentists are hard to land, but windows are everywhere - expand your horizons - restaurants, dress shops, beauty spas, donut and coffee shops, florist shops. You will need to string several together as sometimes they are small, $10 - $20 each, maybe $50. In comparison residential can bring in $200 to $500 each, even $1,000 in some cases. Dress the part, look the part, act the part - you are suggesting that you want to run a business, be a businessman. Lots to learn but you don’t need a 4 year degree to get there. Good luck.
Here is potential for a huge boost, and it is all FREE. Locate one in your area and take full advantage of what they offer. SCORE

10 Likes

Thank you for that Gary! I made sure that I screenshot your comment. That was exactly the comment I was looking for. Thank you! I am looking to go all in. Like you said because of winter I have to find a bread and butter. I was thinking of offering like regular cleaning to those dentistry’s like vacuuming and dusting. The whole thing. They don’t think it will be a white out this winter so I don’t know if I can count on snow removal but I could definitely use that as part of my services. Thank you, I really appreciate it.

I’m not grasping the focus on dentists…?

1 Like

Not a specific focus. They are just on my list of places to visit for regular office cleaning. Nothing specific but I need to start somewhere

Hey Drew, the best way to get customers is by acting cleaning windows. People will see you clean and ask you to clean their windows. So start off offering to clean windows to anyone who will allow you to clean their windows. It’s not about the money. Money comes and goes. However, your reputation will remain as the guy who cleans windows. And as you grow in experience and technique. You will get faster and you will have more confidence in your bid. Honestly, it’s not fair to ask ask your customer to pay the same price as a seasoned professional window cleaner, because they have the tools and experience and techniques down to an art. You don’t have that yet. But you will in time. So for right now, just focus on cleaning as much glass as you can, and building relationships with business owners in your town.

1 Like

I don’t intend to sound critical - You need to start with the basics and build up from there. So you have a 50 foot water fed pole, what is the filter system that you are using? (Set that aside for now until it is needed).
Back to the basics - quality squeegee’s in 6 inch, 12 inch, 14 inch, 18 inch - with those you tackle any size window efficiently from French panes to large store front glass. 12 inch and 14 inch scrubber will handle most any job, add an 18 inch scrubber if you need but consider the size bucket you will use to wet it, or squirt bottle method. Don’t forget that you will likely need an extension pole too for those tall windows, step ladders may be needed too.
Perhaps look here on the WCR store for a quality starter kit. They can help you get a good kit together that will cover all of your needs. Expect to make an investment in the right tools for the job and educating yourself on how to effectively use them. As your confidence and skills build so will your jobs.

I have a di system. We have soft water in my area. I have two Mourman excelerators, one is a 12 inch the other a 6 I believe, I also have a Ettore super-channel 18 inch with a unger handle, I have cheap sleeves from unger Home Depot just to get the soap on there. I have 0000 steel wool, a razor(which I choose to rarely use unless absolutely necessary), a 24 foot fold ladder, I also have like 4 Home Depot channels in case I get a house with a million French panes that I need to cut to size. I know the super channel would be great for storefronts. I also have about 60 surgical rags for detailing.

1 Like

The problem I see, is that you spend thousands of dollars on a 50 WFP and DI filter and you are using cheap Home Depot products. Really you should be using too quality hand tools way before you get into waterfed equipment. If you don’t understand the basics than you won’t be able to clean effectively with advanced cleaning techniques such as waterfed

3 Likes

I get that you don’t know till your out there doing it. But I did a huge building with water fed pole. The reason I got the system is because I got a job with it that basically paid or the system. Close to it at least. It was about 4 stories high. So I need to get the system if I wanted the job. And I’m doing that job again in the spring. I have pretty much no regret grabbing up a water fed pole system. My biggest regret is not chasing more jobs with it. But I can focus on that in the summer. But it wasn’t that I got the system because I felt that’s what I should get as a beginner but it was basically a way to get a decent building to clean at the beginning of summer. So the water fed system is not the problem. It’s me being dumb and not going for more jobs and not being sure how to grab up the storefronts. I hate winters in NE. But a lot of people do say this is a good time to get store fronts.

1 Like

So you went out and bout the tools to grow into… and broke even on the purchase.
I cant actually gripe with that.

I built the first part of my privacy fence, with hand screwdrivers and handsaws…because I didnt know any better. (many years ago)
So I respect/admire the foresight.

Still not sure why the dentist thing popped up… maybe that’s an account you got, and are pushing that route?

Thanks man. No it’s nothing. Just trying to find something to get me through the winter, so I decided to try cold calling dentist offices and eye care facilities and other places to clean, like vacuuming and dusting. Whatever will get me through this winter. Nothing special with dentistry’s, I’m just starting there. But Garry gave me some good ideas for getting more store fronts so I’m gonna try that as well.

Yes !!

I barely feel like I have anything to add to this treasure trove of information that is available to you free of charge! However, being the contrarian that I am I must tell you I have cut my business down to all water fed pole exterior cleaning of buildings and said bye-bye to residential and bye-bye to store fronts for the most part. I’ll take a repeat residential and it’s mainly because of the relationship with a client , I despise every aspect of residential (accept the client). Yet I do six figures a year with relative ease. The advantage of setting up a very simple water fed pole system is I can train a chimp to use it in a short period of time and it is very scalable. I have never been happier, however one caveat is that I live in the inland empire of southern California and it is the biggest commercial real estate market in the country. I don’t know what the commercial market is like over there but I know that one congruency in business is a strong belief in yourself and the ability to suit whatever business model you may want to have. Another caveat is I have been in business for almost 21 years. And I definitely started off as an all traditional squeegee, scrubber, bucket and soap and water window cleaner, and I agree with the other window cleaners is that having a strong base in trad window cleaning is essential, but always remember, it’s your show. I guess my point is, is that it’s possible to have a very narrow business model and be successful. you may make a hundred calls and land that $1,000 building, but it also may be your next call. I believe the industrial sector that relationships within the body of the company are extremely important and exceptionally easy to cultivate. My belief is that it’s about 75% psychological and 25% practical. I also believe it’s about the same ratio of relational vs. transactional .The biggest thing that sticks out to me about your post is the lack of belief in yourself. Read books, listen to podcasts like quicktalk with Joshua Latimer, watch YouTube vids stay focused on one thing and you will build that bs like a muscle. An independent contractor must thrive on uncertainty. Step away from from the lawnmower and get your window cleaning hustle on. We are a very specialized niche market that is one of the greatest stories rarely told!