High-Rise Work: How do I learn it?

I’ve received at least two potential-customer correspondences involving high rises in the last 2 months. I want to be ready to take it on. How do I learn how to do them? I’m mostly residential and I’d like to have high-rise training. I know I need more guys, more insurance, rented equipment, etc. And when is it worth it?

Work for a company that offers high-rise service and employee training.

Offer labor for training for a company that offers high-rise service and employee training.

Contact IWCA for high-rise safety and technical training resources.

Subcontract out high-rise work to a company that offers high-rise service (as Justin does.)

Safety, obviously, is the key.

Ive been looking into it alot lately! I have an extensive back ground in scaffold rigging, swing stage & Air Assault school in the Army. Ive recently attended the IWCA safety training seminar in Utah which was very interesting and I bought the book On Rope which has some valuable info on basic boatswains chair set ups and knots. I met with my ins. guy last week to renew and he told me I would have to get a new ins. carrier if I wanted to go that route. Kinda bummed me out!!
My guys are all for the training so next spring I am signing us up for a rappel course through REI. Should be a fun team building excersize if anything!!

There is a guy on here a “deeper clean” he knows and is willing to teach high rise. I haven’t seen him on here in a while shoot him a PM or an email and he would probably help you out for a price.

We do high-rise, but its not lucrative yet for my company, in fact, its losing money.

All the high-rise stuff here is locked up by a few low-balling companies, and I’m personally getting tired of the whole thing.

Expensive insurance.
Expensive safety training.
Expensive equipment.
Specialized workers.

Need several solid jobs to pay it off, where I am anyway, and you seem to have to know someone in the right places.

I have BID on MANY but scored very little.

[QUOTE=panelessperfection;1170]We do high-rise, but its not lucrative yet for my company, in fact, its losing money.

Expensive insurance.
Expensive safety training.
Expensive equipment.
Specialized workers.
QUOTE]

Would you recommend subcontracting it out?

The problem in these parts with subbing it out is that as the official [I]down-on-paper contractor of record[/I], you assume legal liability for any and all safety & insurance issues.

Here, high-rise insurance runs around $3,000/yr minimum, and that’s what I have. If you don’t have the insurance, you simply aren’t covered.

So, no - I would definitely NOT suggest hiring it out (in my market, anyway), for legal liability issues primarily.

Thanks, thats great insight!

Thank you, but I can’t find him on the forum.

Click here:

http://www.windowcleaner.com/vBulletin/member.php5?u=8

Send him a private message and that will most likely alert his email. I cant say for sure how he has is alerts set up though.

High rise is good money, thats how I make most of my money. Basically if you need a rig and hanging equipment you are looking at $2500 to $3500. The insurance isn’t as bad as everyone is saying, we have liability insurance that covers up to 1 million dollars with a $1 million dollar umbrella that costs about $200 a month. The best part is that there isn’t much competition, not too many companies do high rise. Or you could do what my company did, and have someone weld a rig together for you and it will save you about $1,000. When you are ready to do high rise you will be able to take your business to the next level. For me, I worked for a company and pushed the rig while the other guy was hanging for a long time, that got me the experience I needed to hang myself. Don’t freak out about hanging, its more safe than a tall ladder if you set it up right. Good luck.

Perhaps you could word that differently…

I don’t know Larry maybe he has a unique way of doing drops.:smiley:

thanks JM. How much do you charge? I dont know if I could fork out that much on equipment out of nowhere, but maybe I could subcontract out work. Althought paneless suggests against it.

Sounds like you have a hungry market. Nice niche.

I have the “sixth hour of the buffet, and everything’s cold and picked over” high-rise market, but hey, who’s complaining?

Oh, right…Me.

Haha, can’t believe I didn’t catch that.

There was talk about someone having a rig welded together to save money. I hear of this too often in my area and truthfully it is scary. The person in a given weld shop may not understand where the load limits need to be the strongest. This type of equipment should always be purchased from a reputable professional manufacturer. I hear this option usually from individuals who are currently subcontracting work and are trying to establish thier own company and workload to save money. This is not the type of equipment to shortcut.

And in Canada, it can mean a very bad day if the Ministry of Labour catches you.

Very good point, thank you. I think that many window cleaners are to loose with safety. I even have to check myself sometimes. Neglecting safety, one can quickly go from the top of the world to the bottom. Literally.

you should call me. (608)770-0791