Holiday Cards

I was wondering how many of you send holiday cards, if you think they are a good marketing tool, when to send them, where to get them, and generally the best way to go about it.

I was thinking of sending out cards to all my residential clients and all the addresses that I gave quotes to also that I didn’t service. Kinda to remind them ‘I’m still here and I haven’t forgotten about you.’ I don’t want to necessarily sell them something - just for them to keep me in their memory, and make them feel special. I want to personalize as many of them I can by a short hand written message before I send them while my list is small enough for me to do that.

I am also planning on doing this, I have had good success with this in past in another industry. I had better then 90% retention of clients when the industry standard in that market was 50%. Never tried it in the window cleaning business this my second year of being in business for myself so client list is still relatively low, under 200.

I use generic cards purchased at Wally World,Walmart. I try to find ones that utilize Happy Holidays to keep nuetral.

The personal message albiet short should keep you in the forefront of their minds when they think window cleaning

I would only send holiday cards out to people who you HAVE done work for. Sending them to people who you only quoted etc. can seem desperate,as you don’t really have a realtionship with them and what if they have gone with another company?
I send out seasonal postcards to ALL of our cutomers AND to those we have done estimates for. (By seasonal I mean Spring cleaning, fall gutter cleaning etc.) It’s not personal like a card!

Agreed, but what’s the harm if they have gone elsewhere – you still get your name in front of them if they are not entirely satisfied with their current service provider.

I still receive a b-day card from my old insurance agent…

Anyone use SendOutCards.com ?

Just curious. I looked into this for sending thank you cards etc.

But then started sending thank you emails. Much cheaper to me.

Can’t help it dude… I am frugal.

Last year I sent out cards to all my customers including ones that I only quoted. All returning spring customers commented on the gesture and 2 ‘quoted only’ customers ended up using me for their next clean.

Not the same as the card, at all.

I use sendoutcards.com for all of my card sending. Thank you cards, birthday cards, and “hey I still am washing windows” cards. I receive a great return on my investment. Good old Joe Girard (look him up on google if you don’t know who he is) sent out 12,000 cards a month at the end of his career and made the Guiness book of world records 12 years straight. (or something like that)
I only do residential and have over 800 customers. I spend a little under $500.00 a month on those cards and easily get back over $2,000.00.
Sendoutcards.com prints, stuffs, stamps and places the card in the U.S. mail for you. And it is cheaper than ALL other cards. Especially if you add the labor involved in licking stamps and signing everything because you can use your own handwritting and signature.
I know this works because I recently sent a picture of my family to all of my clients, last month for Thanksgiving, and they all tell me how they enjoyed the picture of my family and commented about my kids.
I am a distributer for sendoutcards.com so I am obviously biased and I would make money if you talked to me and signed up for it. So I am just being honest. Whether you talk to me, a fellow window cleaner, or someone else I highly suggest using sendoutcards.com no matter how you sign up. If you want a free account for 30 days let me know.

Deland
407-334-0174

I use sendoutcards.com for all of my card sending. Thank you cards, birthday cards, and “hey I still am washing windows” cards. I receive a great return on my investment. Good old Joe Girard (look him up on google if you don’t know who he is) sent out 12,000 cards a month at the end of his career and made the Guiness book of world records 12 years straight. (or something like that)
I only do residential and have over 800 customers. I spend a little under $500.00 a month on those cards and easily get back over $2,000.00.
Sendoutcards.com prints, stuffs, stamps and places the card in the U.S. mail for you. And it is cheaper than ALL other cards. Especially if you add the labor involved in licking stamps and signing everything because you can use your own handwritting and signature.
I know this works because I recently sent a picture of my family to all of my clients, last month for Thanksgiving, and they all tell me how they enjoyed the picture of my family and commented about my kids. (when I’m at their house washing their windows again.)
I am a distributer for sendoutcards.com so I am obviously biased and I would make money if you talked to me and signed up for it. So I am just being honest. Whether you talk to me, a fellow window cleaner, or someone else I highly suggest using sendoutcards.com no matter how you sign up. If you want a free account for 30 days let me know.

Deland
407-334-0174

new to posting so I posted twice on accident.

I took the cheapest route and it did me fine. I bought some small standard christmas cards at a dollar store and sent them to every residential customer I serviced this past year. I personalized them by using my company logo stamp on both the card and the envelope.

I ended up having two customers use me to hang christmas lighting as a result of them seeing the cards. I just think it is a nice touch to send “thank you” cards out after every new customer finish and x-mas cards during the holidays.

I keep stamped cards in the truck and try to keep up with the “thank you” cards but must admit I sometimes fail in keeping that tradition alive.

Every card I send out whether it be a Thank you or a holiday card, has a business card in it. Anyway i can get my infor in front of my customers. is a good thing

kinda funny, in another thread we discussed creating a killer invoice, now cheap xmas cards.

Cheap cards better damned well have something personally written on them to make up for that impression. I just got an amazing xmas card from my financial adviser with a personal note. I got a cheap piece of junk from my insurance guy and felt like nothing special… kinda insulting really.

I am not into xmas cards as we will get lost in the mix of cards from people they love and care about (along with companies sending them out.) I prefer to send out thanksgiving cards as they recieve none (so I stick out) and also an offer as a “gift” to get their windows cleaned by xmas… or to encourage them buying a window cleaning as a gift :wink:

One of my favorite marketers said one time “never contact your customers without an offer or a reason to do business with you”. If we are sending them a card because we “care”, I am sending the offer because I care about getting their home ready for company and maybe save them some money.

My personal opionion is to not go cheap, and to not present them with a reason to do business with us is a waste of time and money.

Sendoutcards is great, not only for the easy way in which we can send out the cards, but they also have nifty gifts we can send out to people who refer and what not. Imagine telling someone about your mechanic and he sends you a tin of fudge and thanks you. That stuff really stands out.

CFP,
To me it boils down to what works in each companies particular case. In my case the standard small christmas card (of course I leave a hand written greeting and my wife & I’s names) is a very nice touch. Why spend money where you don’t have to.

Invoices are something I have spent some cash on.  From my referral statement in the background to urging people to go to my website...my invoices serve as yet another way of putting the various services my company offers out there.  

I personally find it tacky to toss in a business card with my christmas card offering.  I do however put one in the envelope along with the thank you cards.

How does one know “you don’t have to” unless one compares it to something else and measures?

This may come as a surprise to some of you… handing out business cards is not marketing. It is not an offer and it is not reactional. It is something for the drawer monster to swallow up.

Your view of this is your view alone. I know you have no idea of what your customers think when they get their cards (think my insurance guy knows he insults me year after year?)

Invoices can be made nicer and include a marketing device for 0 dollars, I am not sure what you are spending money on in your invoice.

Every communication with a current client is very important. If we don’t have anything meaningful to say or if we make them feel unspecial, we roll the dice. I think most of us live in a dream world where we think they are now our customers no matter what. Basically it “boils down” to this for every company.

I would dump my insurance agent tomorrow if I found a better price (I have not looked in 3 years). Imagine if this was my carpet cleaner, house cleaner or window cleaner. I will NEVER dump my financial adviser as I believe he really cares… and he is far from the cheapest.

Why spend money where you don’t have to? I did not realize customer relationships were so meaningless.

Just my take on this, do whatever works.

Good point…in my case, that has been done.

I will.

It shows who has theory and how has studied.

I, for one, appreciate the efforts of the ones who offer sound advice on such matters.

when ego meets experience…

TY CFP for the sharing.

This for me is not about xmas cards as much as it is about nurturing relationships. The point of sending a card for any occasion is to do what? I would rather not get a card than get something careless. Sure I will not think of them, but I also will not think of them negatively.

Like I said, I do not even send xmas cards because it falls into the minutia and will not be remebered anyway (unless it really stands out).