How do I get to these windows?

[COLOR=Black]Anybody have any idea how I might access these upper windows best? The awning is steel and creates a problem for ladder work. Any help is appreciated.

Steve [/COLOR]

Water fed pole or lift.

Tilt in maybe?

The upper windows seem to open with the upper portion remaining revealed. Maybe open the windows and lean out to do the outsides.

That would be a wfp dream job. I’d get the roof panels in for extra as well - they would only get wet anyhow.

If you don’t have waterfed

I would review the I14 standards before you tell your guys to lean out of any windows. Lets keep it safe out there.

[COLOR=Black]Thanks for the responses, These windows do not tilt and they have a metal grid on the outside to give it the colonial (french, whatever) pane look. If I bought a WFP, would this be a good first job to do? I won’t have much time to practice. I am thinking of a lift though because the glass is really cruddy.[/COLOR]

On second story buildings with cruddy windows, I use a 6" steel wool sleeve on a pole to scrub the windows in between washings with the water fed pole.
i.e. wet and light scrub with water fed pole, scrub with steel wool sleeve, then final wash and rinse with water fed pole.
Good luck!

I would poll them with a ledger if need be.

I too would definetly try to pole these. The only big problem I could see is that those metal awnings stick out quite a bit and one might have to stand on the road to get the right angle. If there are parked cars there at the time, that could also get in your way of poling.

Has anyone considered the possibility that those awnings could be made to lie flat if the support arms are unscrewed? If you’ve got a portable drill this could actually be a quick solution.

I would go with a WFP on this job. Safest way to do it. It would take me all of 10 minutes to clean all those 2nd floor windows in the front.

I would remove the lower, clean the outside upper, clean the lower outside, reinstall the lower, clean the insides and move on…Or…I would borrow my neighbor, the cable installers bucket truck and do the outside between 6:30 and 10:00 am on a Sunday Morning

Hmm why cant you attach steel wool/scrubby pad to the back of a brush in an orderly fashion

Can’t see that working…That frame looks welded, besides can’t see the copper awning just swinging down along the wall.

Regardless of weather it would work or not, If that was my office/shop i wouldn’t allow the porch to be taken down just to suit the window cleaning, from a disturbance and insurance point of view…wouldn’t be worth it

Thanks for the replies, but I didn’t get the job. No matter, there are others.

Would you really have to lean out? I would think you could use a 4-5" pole with super-system scrubber & squeegee (for the top ones anyway) and not have to lean out.

On residential jobs with smaller roof overhangs (not sure if it would work with such large awnings,) we try and attach a ladder standoff so that it rests near the top of the window, and then see if the extra space allows a suitable ladder angle. Then we use a small pole extension to reach from the ladder to the window, instead trying to pole the window from the street.

3 quick chair drops.

Thats what I would use also.