How do they do it?!?!?!?

I just stopped at a local tractor and ATV dealer. THe whole front of the store is a huge wall of tinted glass (many tall windows). I noticed that as the sun shone on them they looked hazy. So I pulled in even though they told me before that they had someone. I wlaked in and saw they remodeled.
I Looked at the windwos closely before going to the counter. They indeed were dirty.
I told the guy at the counter "I was in here before and was told you had someone for your windows. But I wasnt sure if you needed someone now."
He replied: "No, the guy was just here today"
I couldnt believe it!
I just gave him a surprised look and said"Oh! Ok…Well keep my card in case you need it"
Looked at the windows again when leaving…attrocious!

How can guys like this apparant “window cleaner” keep jobs like that!!!
I wish I had asked him who it was. But that never comes across as sounding right.

You didn’t see anybody working there right ?

What the guy told you might not be true and they’re trying to discourage you to keep asking.

I would have asked to do a free demo and show the true difference… maybe offer to do some panes and compare to this squeegee bob job

They most likely don’t have anyone cleaning them. Just blowing smoke up your rear. I always think things like this are interesting. Every office building I have tried to get business from I get almost the same thing. The owner of the building or the manager is “Never” around, yet according to the building manager they have someone cleaning the windows. Even though they look like crap. I ask who is cleaning them, and never get a solid answer. Here’s how I handle it. I never even leave my card cause it’s like tossing it in the trash anyway. You need to find the man/woman who owns the place. I go home, look up the address on my county clerks website. 99% of the time they will have the “Real” owner listed on a mortgage or deed of the building. Once I have that, I scour the net for their home address. I then write them a letter regarding how their buildings windows do not look like they are being taken care of. I also point out to the owner that the property is in investment and the windows cost a ton of cash to have replaced. In the end I have only got a few calls back. But still a few is better then none and the job price is worth the effort.

Ray, I haven’t approached offcice buildings so far, but plan on doing it VERY soon.
I, also, never sent a presentation letter offering services, just the ole flyer/direct mail thing.

Would you mind sharing a sample letter or at least some guidelines on how to get better results from that based on your experience ? you can PM if that works better for you.

Thanks
Carlos

Next time try walking into the place with a mission… like you own the place. Ask the receptionist/office girl/manager “Who handles the window washing contract?”. I get the persons name everytime. That helps you get right in front of the decision maker quickly.

Thanks folks, I am tempted to go ask them if I can do a demo…but my guess is that they dont really care…its ashame cause its a pretty sweet lookin place with all that glass.

OK, so late at night just shot the store with a paintball gun and walk in the next morning…

I always got the job

I think some window cleaners grabbed the wrong gun and shot up a bunch of storefronts I do w/ a b.b. gun. Makes it kinda hard to clean a window when the water runs through the bullet hole and streaks the other side.

sounds like a good way start another business…“yeah mr. brown we also window and glass installs”…

Im looking for presentation letter, thanks

This is not one you should just leave a card with and walk out. If you do you have just let them write the rules for every time you, or another hopeful contractor approaches them. Do yourself and all of us a favor. Instead, try one of these.

“You just had them done? Hmmm. Come over hear, I want to show you something.” Don’t ask for their time. Just tell them what to do, turn your back on them and walk to the glass. They will follow. Now have them see and touch the dirt. Once they have done this, there is lots of room for dialog. Notice, you also already have them doing what you want them to do. “Who can I talk to about making this really shine for you?”

“Wouldn’t you agree that a pro glass cleaner should leave these windows cleaner than this?” They will say “yes” or “I don’t know.” Both leave the doors open for more talk.

“I realize you are/may not be the decision maker on this, but you have influence [notice the compliment] around here. Are you happy with it?” “No?” “Can you help me talk with the person that can turn this situation around?”

“Just once, for $1.00, do you mind if I show you what really clean glass looks like. Oh!(reach in your pocket) and here is the dollar I owe you for letting me show you truly professional window cleaning.”

Even if they are not the decision maker, I bet you now have a better chance of them telling the boss.

I’m just now waking up to some of these strategies myself. Businesses are constantly being solicited by other businesses. I think our job is to leave a more memorable, and buyable, impression on their minds. If the customer is blowing smoke or giving you an excuse to get you out the door, you have nothing to lose by getting MORE creative and MORE up front in trying to win their business. If they blow you off this time and circular file your card, they now have written the rules to the game for every time you walk in their store.

Just thinking.

Eric

Good stuff Eric, I like your twist of phrase n’ all.

The shocking answer that you don’t want to believe:

For most window cleaning clients, quality is not the highest priority.

Of course, this fact flies in the face of what most of us believe, since we are window cleaning professionals and master technicians, and are appalled by anything sub-standard.

Unfortunately, our viewpoint is skewed, and the customers of the world care far less about that, and far more about other intangibles and tangibles beyond window cleaning workmanship.

Friendliness.
Reliability.
Easy billing.
Personality.
Fun.
Being discreet on their premises during the cleaning.
Leaving them alone so they can do their job.

Etc.

Coming soon to a neighborhood near you:

[SIZE=“5”]“Total Customer Experience Slays Stellar Window Cleaning Technician!”[/SIZE]