How many of you dogear your squeegee?

How many of you dogear your squeegee?
And of course I’m not talking about the liquidator.
And if you do - which squeegee brand do you use?
Actually I’ve never done it. Thinking about trying do it on one of my Sorbo channels… but don’t want to ruin it.

I used to always dog ear my channels until unger released the S plus channel.This is now my regular channel that i use daily.I do use the channels that i dog earred myself now and again for certain commercial work.If you are concerned about ruining your sorbo find a channel that you never use,grab a plyers and bend that bad boy.You could cut it as well to get a better bend but i never had to do it myself but its down to personal choice for everyone.

i experimented but found when angle the tip of the rubber (ettore) seemed to be too weak and would bend leaving a line, unless i used a gallon of soap ala polz, luke and i do mostly residential i want the windows to stay clean. so at this time no but i will revisit when i get gg4 and gg glide.
my only swivel handle is homemade.

Prior to Liquidator I used to dog ear my Wagtail channel with a hybrid of Waggas ‘split/slice’ and Polz 45° system. The biggest challenge is to get both ends identical. It’s also important that the bend in isn’t too severe. No mathematics to be shared I’m afraid. It’s simply trial and error…and believe me there will be a few errors so practice on old channels until you feel you’re getting close…

Yeah I’ve got my old Unger channels bent. Still prefer my ergo-tec 12" over anything else for resi work (though I’ve got a couple excelerators on order so that may yet change)

Less is more when bending the metal. Plastic liquidator tips will flex to where your whole rubber touches glass. Metal tips, not so much. Too much tip angle will give you fits.

2 Likes

Can I ask how you like that squeegee? Haven’t seen it live.
Remember that Waggas review was that it was ok, but didn’t keep the sides really non-detailing.

1 Like

I don’t really know how efficient it will be for me.
60-70 % of the houses I clean has windows with no seal. Often just pretty rough wooden frame. Maybe I have to detail anyways. Just curious.

1 Like

For irregular frames the rubber will self-correct and follow the contours if you let it do its thing. Put a shallower bend on the tip and leave your rubber just a teeny bit longer than the channel.

1 Like

Thanks for the advice.
How many degrees do you saw your angle at?

1 Like

For my Unger channels I never could find a way to cut them that gave me what I wanted. So I leave the channel mostly intact, just with a little bend at the tip

I also use black Diamond hard rubber, soft needed a feather touch and was always grabbing the frame.

2 Likes

Hey legend!
Been watching this video sometimes the last weeks.
Are you still using this with your wide bodied channels? What’s your result?

1 Like

Aha, ok. Looking very similar to their S-Plus idea.

1 Like

Personally i think its a great channel.I’ve never looked back since i started using them but like i said i still use channels that i have dog earred myself now and again for certain types of work.I use the S plus channel on timber frames as well and have no issues.

1 Like

if that’s the case you could try “pretailing”. run your cloth around the sides and top THEN squeegee don’t go to the edge just into the clothed area. this will reduce wear on your rubber ends and leave a better finnish because the water carried by your squeegee will erase the cloth marks.

Yeah. I know. That’s what I learn some of the rookies :grinning:
But it’s not a bad technique.

Did all my channels dogeared(sawed up dogearing) they work great can realy notice the difference between nog dogeared channels

Greets from holland

2 Likes