How much did you make?

Hey guys,

I’m fixing to launch my website and begin drumming up business. I was wondering what is a rough estimate of how much most people make within their first 90 days in business? And what kind of business was it? (Residential v. Commerical)

Everyone is different…it depends on

#your locality
#marketing techniques
#luck
#experience

and loads of different factors.

it’s not like there is a standard rate of profit progression for each business…every business is different…as each has a unique owner who will make different decisions and so forth.

One day you may have a job, the next nothing.
Being self employed means irregular profits or losses.

Don’t expect miracles, the first while of any start up business can be tough going.

In regard of what kind of business you will get (resi or comm) how can we tell you that, it all depends on who you TARGET.

p.s you will need more than just a website to drum up business at the start…get your name out there as well…sure a website is good but don’t expect to make all your job’s through your website…well at the start at least.

tell us how you get on…

A genie in a bottle often helps.

Or braking a window cleaners legs and hands and take his route :slight_smile:

um…at first I was all commercial when I started, but now I think I’m kinda leveling off with both. I hand a change of heart in the past 2 1/2 months about Res. It was 90% Com and 10% Res, but know It’s probably 75% Com and 25% Res. I want to get solid at a 55% Com and 45% Res. Latley Res has been going great for me.

Just shy of 4 grand my first 3 months. 100% residential.

How much you make depends so much on a number of variables, but mainly it’s up to YOU, and how far you are willing to step out of you comfort zone. I knocked on a lot of doors my first 6 months. And if I would have knocked more I could have made more money, but I worked hard during that time. I made more than that just last month and didn’t knock once, so it gets easier, but bust your ass in the beginning, you’ll be glad you did.

this a analogy someone told me:

“Business can be like a plane, you have to go full throttle at first to take off and reach your altitude, but once your there and you can let off and not go so hard”

makes a lot of sense.

Still must be sure to keep on your toes at all times though.

loose quality of service, loose customers.

In my first three months on my own (after a quit my franchise and started from nothing) I made $4000.

It’s true that their is a measure of “luck” involved.

But generally you need to find out what market you are going for. What marketing techniques you will use, and the rest is the 99% perspiration. Generally, the more effort you put into growing your business, the more revenue you will generate. Of course once you have your customers you need to treat them well, be reliable, do a good job and so forth.

but in general, a business is like a bank account, you can’t expect to make a withdrawl (earn revnue) if you don’t make regular deposits (put effort into growing your business).

amen brother!

My first month (30 days) in business (in 2003) I made $130 or so.

That’s it.

Don’t give up if you tank off the bat.

Are you only in the business 5 years or so Kevin??

what did you do prior to window cleaning?

From 1999 to 2003 I operated a franchise of a larger window cleaning company, where I kept 70 cents from every dollar, and all new work found went to the mother company. I wasn’t allowed - contractually - to build anything on the side while working for them, so the only option was making a clean break and starting from scratch, which I did in 2003. May, to be specific.

In which month I earned a hefty $130 !

So, I guess I’ve been a business-[I]operator [/I]for 9 years, and an outright business-[I]owner [/I]for 5 or so.

Oh right, and could you not have approached the residences/storefronts that you once cleaned as a franchisee, as an employee/operator of your new window cleaning business which would be listed a separate entity to the franchise?

surely by utilizing this, you could have found much business in the form of your previous contacts…??

i agree $130 is pretty disheartening…but obviously you made the right choice continuing to work on growing the business.

I was contractually limited from doing this for a period of 2 years, and since a friend of mine took over the franchise, it wouldn’t have felt right, either, even without the contract.

So, I could have stolen every contract, sure, but I didn’t take even one with me.

Exactamundo. That’s why I wanted to share the ultra-low initial results I had. Beginnings do not always portend the longer-term!

Well yes you (personally) were contractually limited from doing so for 2 years but what i was trying to say was that as a company is treated as a separate entity your company could have offered services to these people before the two years were up.

If you just changed your company name, as on your website"

We have been operating as an independent professional window and eavestrough cleaning business since 1999. In Spring of 2003, we changed our name to Paneless Perfection".

then you are perfectly within your rights to keep these business clients as then you still own the franchise…regardless of weather your friend manages the franchise for you or not, the franchise being the franchise that is now your company due to a name change…

A name change means that the company is still the same company as it once traded as, but just under a different name.

You would only have been stealing clients from yourself.

You can still pick up these accounts if the above is the case.

6-page contract. Pretty tight. No agent, partner, owner, associate, etc…

To be honest, I don’t care about it all, now, looking back, since its 5 years ago. I also feel good that I could help out a friend get into the biz, who has also since then moved on to build his own too.

I appreciate your comments though, and your desire to retrospectively fight for my rights!

The franchisor is also someone I respected and still like, too, so I’d feel bad stealing their accounts. I still could steal many of them, but I’d feel guilty, so I don’t.

Toronto’s a big market. It’s no hardship to hold to these few little moral boundaries…

But kevin what I’m saying is that you must still own the franchise.

You only changed the name of the business

From your website:
We have been operating as an independent professional window and eavestrough cleaning business since 1999. In Spring of 2003, we changed our name to Paneless Perfection".

That means that you threw away all clients you built up in your franchise when you technically kept running the franchise but under a different name.

A change of name does not mean that a new company has been formed.

Maybe you guys have a different law or something in regards of company formation though???

Perhaps my choice of the term “operated” a franchise threw you off. In effect, I merely “rented” the franchise, or leased it, or whatever you’d like to call it.

At no point did I legally “own” either the franchise or its clientele, but I was a business ‘operator’ instead.

Kind of like leasing a McDonalds, I suppose. (kind of NOT too, but its a simple comparison)