How to clean Hydrophobic glass on hair salon?

Hey guys,
I have a client that just built a hair salon in a brand new shopping center. Today was the second time I cleaned the outside of the windows and doors. This is my first experience coming across hydrophobic glass. My solution just beads on the glass making it really hard to squeegee. I use a half and half mixture of GG4 & Ecover in one gallon of water. Today I tried 1.5 total ounces and that did not help.

The salon has 7 large panes of glass measuring about 4ft wide X 8ft tall. I have considered trying to waterfed pole them with fan jets. I would have to clean the front doors traditionally because they are not sealed very well. They are solid glass doors that have about a 1/4 inch opening between the top of the door and the frame above it.

Your advice is greatly appreciated!!!

Chad, by “outside” do you mean they are really outside, or,outside like in an enclosed space like a mall?

Sent from my iPad using Window Cleaning Resource mobile app

They are outside, not inside a mall.
Thanks for offering to help Caleb

Sent from my iPhone using Window Cleaning Resource

I come across glass like that all the time on store fronts . I just use traditional tools . I remember when I first started that use to drive me crazy , but when I was finished it still got the glass clean with the trad. tools.

Sent from my iPhone using Window Cleaning Resource mobile app

I think WFP rinsing would take forever. I sometimes have better success straight pulling glass like that.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Window Cleaning Resource mobile app

I’d skip the GG4 and go straight dish soap (ecover, or whatever.)
That stuff always seems to things even worse.

Also if you add a little more soap or a slipping agent that will help when you squeegee .

I never thought about trying straight pulls. I guess I am so used to fanning.
I will try that next time

I think with dish soap and straight pulls, that will do the trick!

Thanks everyone for the advice!!!
As always, your help is greatly appreciated.

Hey [MENTION=6146]Provost Services[/MENTION] Chad as others have said dish soap and straight pulls should help you out.
I have come across that same issue on my route and the straight pull solves the problem.
Some times following the mop with the squeegee is what is needed.

Hey Steve. Thanks for the advice man! I will give that a try.

Exactly what I was going to suggest. Great minds think alike.

Just wanted to give everyone an update. I used Dawn soap to clean the hair salon. It worked great!!! I was even able to fan the windows instead of straight pulls.

Thanks again for the advice everyone!! Enjoy the rest of your weekend

Put a squirt of ecover on a white pad*, agitate and straight pull down. Zero degree or wagtail with angle arm it and you can squeegee top to bottom with one pull.

Hydrophobic glass doesn’t clean as well, so I like to white pad it to make sure all debris is agitated loose. If it’s a first time clean a little de-solv-it applied to white pad will help with any silicone or sticker gunk that may still be leftover on glass.

1 Like

Dora’s de-solv-it work better than goo gone? I found a bunch if silicone at a job the other day and goo gone was all I had…Hardly did anything.

goo-gone works good too. I like de-solv-it & oil flow because they are water soluble which makes it easier to work with.

If it’s that hard to get off, it must be baked on pretty well. Soft silicone is easy to get off. The sun-baked stuff (I feel for those dealing with it in AZ, CA and the like) is a doozy. You may need baby powder and steel wool, provided it’s safe to use steel wool on the particular window in question.

This will do the trick

Thanks guys. It is baked on, and there’s a lot of it. There is one place where there’s a strip 10" long and about 4" wide on a glass door…looks like some fool painter used it as a convenient place to wipe the silicone off his hands.