How to remove stubborn storms?

Do you guys have any tricks for getting storms out when the gasket is practically “glued” to the frame? I’ve tried every pry tool i have.

I bought one of these and it works great. Got it at Harbor Freight for $8. Should be able to find one at Home Depot or Lowes. I grab the glass near one of the top corners to free up the gasket. I wouldn’t do it from the center.

4 Likes

Thanks, Cinder. This was a total life-saver. Worked like a charm.

1 Like

I thought this was going to be a question about stuck storms from the 1960’s era…

My screen tool/ can opener/ Pella tool/ invincible finger always does the trick

1 Like

You can buy those at a window cleaner supplies house. The hi rise guys use them to hang onto the window when the wind is blowing them off the building

I have a small two finger suction cup that I use to use on Pella storms.

Yeah nothing else worked here. Plus the prying was making gouge marks in the frames. Even with the suction cup some of them were stuck so bad you’d have thought they were glued or something.

Easiest way…
I don’t do storm windows

4 Likes

I don’t have the luxury yet to turn down work. Either way, it wasn’t too bad (it was actually the storms with blinds inside) and I was quite happy with the pay.

3 Likes

Oh, sure ma’am I’ll do em. Even the stuckiest ones… But you’ll pay top dollar for my time and aggravation… :wink:

1 Like

No, you just work the tool around the edge gently prying as you go. Eventually it’ll come loose. It’s how I get the old pella designer series to come loose.

The suction cup will only work once the gasket is loosened.

Oh it’s also why I charge $35-40 per.

3 Likes

@WVWindowWashing here a link from a thread I started last year it has a lot of great advice.
For future reference… :wink:

Pellas Galore

1 Like

Like mine?

2 Likes

Lol yup your link is in the thread I posted also.

You guys think those things are stubborn? You should see some of the storms I run into. Completely stuck in the track from years of neglect. Bugs get in there somehow and make life a living he’ll.

Try to pull down and the storm frame, with dry rotted gaskets, come undone from the pane as the bottom part of the frame is the only piece of the storm that will actually move. Metal on metal. Stuck. Top those off with 6 over 6 French pane windows with badly peeled up glazing. People wonder why I charge 40-50 per stuck set.

2 Likes

Dang.

Thanks Steve and @JaredAI. I remember those threads from previous late-night wcr binges.

2 Likes

Thanks Jared! I almost bought a suction cup for a stuck window, but realized that like you said, I needed to get the window loose before using one. WD-40 on the latches and sides with a little jiggling did the trick for me. Fortunately didn’t have to pry anything. I also asked my customer if they were ok with the risk of breaking the window, a professional window cleaner on youtube recommended that. If you’re thinking of moving a storm window, I recommend having the customer remove it or ask if they’re willing to risk breaking it because it’s a common problem. I attached a photo of my success. Here it is!

1 Like